collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where do you host images of your ponies??  (Read 2206 times)

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
Where do you host images of your ponies??
« on: September 27, 2017, 06:22:55 AM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I've been choosing between OT adn here, but it does have to do with ponies, so I chose here.

I have a site on webs.com ( http://shaiyeh.webs.com/ - and no, my sig doesn't go there atm it goes to my flickr. gonna sort that :) ) , where I keep my wishlists, art commission info, plan on keeping a gallery of my ponies, but maybe most importantly keep a blog, where I post my pony art & photography.
Now, I'm quite bad at updating, but when inspiration strikes, I love doing it.
I've been hosting my pictures on Photobucket in the past, but thanks to that site being a complete behind, my blog now looks very ugly, full of the "upgrade to share pics" thing. So I switched over to Flickr for my photos.
And I've been working my way through a few posts just now on my blog, trying to insert pics from there instead. If I use embed, they show up in the editor, but there's just a blank space when the post has been published.
Webs only offer like 500 mb of image hosting, so I can't go with that.
I *could* move the whole blog over to tumblr, would make it a lot easier for people to find, I suppose, but it's not really the format I'm after. I like to be able to post pictures in the text and stuff like that, and keep the other tabs I have on my site for wishlist and stuff. (and keeping webs for that while keeping a blog on tumblr doesn't sound very compelling)
is wordpress still a thing? :S

Where do you guys host your images these days? Would I have better luck with my blog/page somewhere else? What do you think?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Where do you host images of your ponies??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:48:46 AM »
I use Imgur. There's no limit on how many images you can upload, and the file size limit is pretty big (20MB for normal images).

Just... do not upload your images publicly, lest you want a bunch of downvotes and negative comments. Private is the default on the website, but public is default on the app. You also do not need a title for private images.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Shaiyeh

• View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 06:57:10 AM »
I use Imgur. There's no limit on how many images you can upload, and the file size limit is pretty big (20MB for normal images).

Just... do not upload your images publicly, lest you want a bunch of downvotes and negative comments. Private is the default on the website, but public is default on the app. You also do not need a title for private images.

Thanks for the tip! I have no clue on hosting sites other than flickr, haha, so thanks for the info XD Does it let you direct link your images? That's the problem I have with flickr/my blog not wanting to embed.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:03:24 AM »
I second Imgur! I use Flickr for photos and Imgur for everything else. As long as you keep your images private and aren't using it for serious things, like a sales site or some place you're making money, its an excellent host. You can direct link images.

Wordpress is definitely still a thing so that could be an option as well. I use Weebly for my simple little sites and Shutterfly for my pony/collection site, so those might be options as well. You can only upload jpgs to Shutterfly so that's a big downside, but I still think it works alright for me.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:48:54 AM »
Can you embed the pictures from Flickr or Imgur here? I know with the changes to Photobucket I;ve been looking for a new host myself.
~Foxtale~

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 07:53:24 AM »
Can you embed the pictures from Flickr or Imgur here? I know with the changes to Photobucket I;ve been looking for a new host myself.

Yes you can. All of the photos I post are hosted on Flickr and everything else (sig, screenshots, etc) is hosted on Imgur.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 09:54:41 AM »
All my pony stuff is on my server. I had stuff on PB but nothing important. I think I also have some images not related to pony on flickr. But partly because most of them are on the website anyway and partly because I'm overprotective and crazy, I prefer having my ponies on my server ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »
I second Imgur! I use Flickr for photos and Imgur for everything else. As long as you keep your images private and aren't using it for serious things, like a sales site or some place you're making money, its an excellent host. You can direct link images.

Any suggestions for those that would use their images for selling ponies? I don't mind paying a bit. I was spending about $40 a year on Photobucket's higher tier.   But I don't want to spend much more than that. 

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »

Any suggestions for those that would use their images for selling ponies? I don't mind paying a bit. I was spending about $40 a year on Photobucket's higher tier.   But I don't want to spend much more than that. 

Flickr is fine for sales images as long as you do not advertise or conduct sales on Flickr. I just title my public sale albums something like "Arena" and do all my business here on the forum. Its always been fine.

At least that was the rule last I checked, before Yahoo bought them. I still run my sales the same way though and haven't had any issues.

Offline Delphian

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
Perhaps a Wordpress site would work for you? Their free plan comes with 3 gigs of space which will probably be enough storage. I've been using their blog for years and love how much customization you can do with it.

If 3 gigs isn't enough, you could also get Backblaze's B2 in addition which is a basic and dirt cheap cloud storage that also lets you use it as an image host. You do need to be somewhat computer savvy to use it though.

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »
I use Shutterfly

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Online Shaiyeh

• View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 03:36:09 AM »
Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll be looking into imgur I think, hopefully that works with my already existing website :)

Delphian - I'll be looking into wordpress if I can't get anything to work with my preexisting site! If I can I'd rather keep it where it is, otherwise it sounds like a really good option! thanks!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »
Perhaps a Wordpress site would work for you? Their free plan comes with 3 gigs of space which will probably be enough storage. I've been using their blog for years and love how much customization you can do with it.

If 3 gigs isn't enough, you could also get Backblaze's B2 in addition which is a basic and dirt cheap cloud storage that also lets you use it as an image host. You do need to be somewhat computer savvy to use it though.

Thanks -- I'll check out that Backblaze's B2 option.    I need more than 3gb of space.   I also have Microsoft Live OneDrive free with my account (I think it came with my Hotmail account or my work's Outlook account?)  It gives me 5gb and I think I can manage to post image links.   Let me try....

Yep!   Cool  ^.^  I just wish they had automatic code for clickable thumbnails.  That was really handy with Photobucket.

Online Shaiyeh

• View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »
Image works just fine for me too, and it's a really pretty one at that! :lovey: gotta love g1 backcards, and the original 6 is always a treat!

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 04:55:37 AM »
I upload to Facebook using the privacy setting "only me", so the pictures are private and no-one on my friends list can see them.  It works really well, and I like the fact that I don't have to create a new account with an image hosting website. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal