collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay seller sends unsolicited campaign advertising.  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Libelle

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Ebay seller sends unsolicited campaign advertising.
« on: September 26, 2017, 05:17:30 AM »
I won some MLP accessories in an ebay auction. The seller delayed the shipping, but I wouldn't have complained about the delay until I realised the strategy behind it:

I received the accessories 1 day prior to the German general elections. (In Germany, the post takes between 1 and 2 days to arrive, so you are able to calculate very accurately when an item you are sending will arrive.) The package included campaign advertising for one particular party.

It is illegal for parties to leave campaign advertising in your mailbox or to pester you with emails or calls if you have objected to receiving any campaign advertising at a registry office. However, if private citizens send campaign advertising to you directly, they act in a grey area of law which is open to abuse.

Elections say a lot about your ideologies, your beliefs, your identity etc. Consequently, you might find receiving unsolicited campaign advertising expressing certain opinions very explicitly extremely offensive. I am sure you can all think of examples in your own culture relating to this.

In my opinion, my political views and personal beliefs are not the business of a random ebay seller whom I have bought some MLP accessries from. They have abused the system to send unwanted and unsolicited mail to me which their party wouldn't have been able to send to me legally. I find their behaviour outrageous.   

While I have no complaint about the sale otherwise, I feel they deserve negative feedback ... but I would really love to hear your opinion on this. I tried to be as general as possible and did not hint at any political views, so I hope this is allowed. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Sundown for my Fairy Tail Birds!
Wishlist

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Ebay seller sends unsolicited campaign advertising.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:37:39 AM »
I agree that spam/junk mail of any kind can be really annoying. I've filled out forms to stop junk mail coming to my house but it still arrives which is really annoying! I agree that's outrageous and kinda bursts the bubble of My Little Pony stuff being a fun and gentle pursuit as well.  As a pony seller I would try to join in with the fun and maybe send sweets or nice packaging to give the buyer a nice experience of receiving the package, not anoying junk mail that they don't want!   However I'm not sure about negative feedback.  Maybe have a look at the Ebay guidance on the kind of things that would justify negative feedback. If you think they charged extra for postage then give them a low score maybe, or give them a low score for communication?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 05:39:25 AM »
I agree solicitations are annoying! All you bought were pony accessories, not someone's political beliefs. In this day in age EVERYONE has an opinion and they want it known! And I don't blame you for being angry about it. Here, in the U.S., we are having issues of our own with our own political parties and it's nice to get away from all of that here.

So, with that said, I agree a negative or neutral with the reason you are leaving it would be sufficient. And ding them in stars for delayed shipping as well. Once you do that and other people have seen you have left a negative with your explanation, I wouldn't be surprised if others follow in your footsteps.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:01:16 AM »
Id leave a negative !!! Putting in this kind of advertising is totally not to tolerate. It might not affect the stuff you bought but packaging is part of the transaction, so Id leave negative or at least neutral.

Reminds me of back then... it was an Arena Swap years ago (random pony swap) and instead of a card or a note, that normally goes with a swap package, I got a PETA flyer with really unpleasant photo material. I didnt say anything about it and Im still kicking myself that I didnt open my mouth and let people know how rude I found it!
-> People REALLY need to be TOLD NOT to DO things like that!!!

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
I'm surprised to hear this happens!  Did I understand correctly that it was a purchase you made from within your own country?  I'm not sure how I would feel if someone had sent me opposing political propaganda during our elections last November. 

If I was otherwise happy with the sale I think I would leave positive feedback but send them a message privately.  However, if the information they sent was offensive I think I would just leave a neutral and mention in the comment that the item was fine, but you didn't appreciate the "extras".

This is definitely a gray area that.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:07:48 AM »
Definitely negative feedback, since this activity is very frowned upon in your country by private citizens!  :(  Ooooh that would infuriate me too! 

Einhornbaby :  that is totally disgusting!!!!  I am so sorry that happened to you!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Libelle

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:30:59 AM »
So many answers in such a short time! Thank you! ^.^

Did I understand correctly that it was a purchase you made from within your own country?  I'm not sure how I would feel if someone had sent me opposing political propaganda during our elections last November.

Yes, that is what happened. I'm not sure how "aggressive" campaigning is in other parts of Germany or in even in other countries, but I can honestly say that I have never received any kind of advertising prior to any elections before.

Reminds me of back then... it was an Arena Swap years ago (random pony swap) and instead of a card or a note, that normally goes with a swap package, I got a PETA flyer with really unpleasant photo material. I didnt say anything about it and Im still kicking myself that I didnt open my mouth and let people know how rude I found it!

I completely agree with you! I'm all for animal rights (heck, I'm a vegan), but I would never do anything like that ... in a swap of all things! I'm going to hint a little bit at the kind of stuff I received, because you'll easily understand what I'm referring to ... ;) Let me just say that I firmly believe that a certain part of German history should not repeat itself. Receiving that kind of material deeply affected and offended me, all the more because I'm a historian. :(

I'm going to sleep about the whole thing and decide what I'm going to do tomorrow (or the day after as tomorrow is packed with appointments). I really appreciate all your input!!! And I'll let you know what I ended up doing. :heart:

Thank you Sundown for my Fairy Tail Birds!
Wishlist

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »
I once bought a band tshirt on Ebay and it came with some sort of Jesus pamphlet. At first I thought maybe they were trying to make me see the error of my ways (It was a band that some christians might not approve of) But then what are they doing selling it??
I left a neutral and wrote I did not appreciate the religious propaganda

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 02:20:07 PM »
I've received religious propaganda before too, and its so frustrating!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 07:45:05 PM »
^ Same. From sellers here actually, twice. But it was when I was still a newbie and didn't want to step on toes or anything.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 01:24:27 AM »
Ick! A business card or catalogue is fine, provided it doesn't increase the shipping excessively, but religious or political material is a huge no-no. If it isn't related to the sale, it shouldn't be in there! I'd leave a neutral, and ding stars for shipping and communication.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 04:05:34 AM »
How awful! I've never had anything like this happen to me personally but yes I've heard of others having religious, political or other junk mail/ spam leaflets etc included with their ponies or other items and its really inappropriate.  Of course  everyone has a right to their own beliefs etc, and people like to share them,  but they should be kept separate from ebay or other business transactions! . And to delay shipping to time it right for political junk mail makes it worse  :(
The toughie is how to rate the transaction  :  if the transaction and the items were good apart from the "extras" they included then normally I would suggest leaving a positive (maybe dinging some stars ), but privately messaging the seller about the political stuff and letting them know you did not think it appropriate. However, because the seller deliberately delayed shipping your parcel  to specifically send political stuff that makes it a bit different  :awake: . I would be thinking about neutral feedback since the items were good... but it's up to you. Also it depends how offensive the material was that they put in your box, as it might deserve a negative if it was really bad stuff . If it was really bad then I might also contact ebay first - live chat or on the phone is good, to see if they can advise you on what best to do, or report the seller to them for what they did and sent, then see eBay's reaction before you do your feedback.
I'm sorry this happened to you :hug: 

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 11:01:10 AM »

I have too and it's just so weird to me that someone would try to use an ebay sale to try and push their religion onto another person...

It's not enough to warrant poor feedback, but it is DEFINITELY unwelcome...

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »

I have too and it's just so weird to me that someone would try to use an ebay sale to try and push their religion onto another person...

You should send back information on the gay agenda/mafia!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 03:18:02 PM »

You should send back information on the gay agenda/mafia!

So tempting.

If only I had an extra pamphlet around the office-  I really need to print some more...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal