collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 1583 times)

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
Star Trek: Discovery
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:42:24 PM »
Are there any other Trekkies here?

Spoiler
I thought the first two episodes were fantastic! I went ahead and signed up for CBS All Access so I can continue watching it (and so I could see the 2nd episode right away) and to show support of Trek, in hopes they will eventually make a post voyager series,
 which is what I REALLY want. I don't mind the new Klingons even though I loved them in TNG/VOY/DS9, these looks more realistic and alien, which I appreciate. The graphics were great, acting was great, I'd give it a solid 8/10 and I can't wait for more!

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:06:51 PM »
Yep, me ! *waveshand*
I saw it yesterday and I loved it!! Great acting, I really enjoyed seeing "Sasha" again <3

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:15:22 AM »
I am disappointed that YET AGAIN we go back in history, back in time and create another Alternate Universe.  ahhh it's a ranty subject for me..... 

We need to move FORWARD from the Dominion War.  Pretty much all story development stopped after Voyager, when Captain Janeway returned to Alpha Quadrant.  Everything else has been fussing around in the old details, crossing things out and editing what the new writers never liked about ST.  :(  HOW many versions of Klingons do we have now????  Between the show, the movies, the novels and the comics, I think we have covered every angle about Sarek's life, so STOP MAKING UP NEW STUFF!!! 

I am definitely not going to pay for yet another streaming service.  I am not sure when we will get around to watching the show, but it won't be doing so while using their ridiculous CBS Access or whatever.  I already have to pay for cable TV (that we have never watched in 10 years) with my internet bill, which COMES with CBS, paying them a second fee to watch shows they only release online is just beyond distasteful. 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »
Havent seen it yet but I recorded the first 2 episodes.

The resident Klingon says its a bit confusing and was a bit  ? over another Klingon look

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »
I liked what I saw and I don't judge a series until I have seen at least 10 episodes so I can get a good idea of characters and writing but I thought it could have done with a 90 min length 1st ep instead of being in 2 parts
xaflame
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:28:24 AM by Aflame »

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 03:08:11 PM »
I can't wait until it starts showing here!!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 04:00:07 PM »
It was okay.  Hard for me to accept the new Klingons as I'm a huge fan of Voyager's Torres and TNG's Worf.  I will not, however, pay for the special channel.  I am hoping not enough people subscribe and CBS is forced to move it to regular TV.  I'm tired of Sarek as well.  Loved the Kelpin.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »
I really liked it! Though I refuse to sign up for CBS streaming service for one thing, so I've only seen the first part. I'm pretty mad that they changed the Klingons, I love the Klingons in TNG and Voyager with Torres being my favorite. From what I have seen, they have changed the culture and look a fair bit, darn! I do love Michelle Yeoh's character and Michael is amazing though, so I do want to keep watching. And a series that takes place after the events of Voyager would be amazing.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 10:51:03 PM »
My boyfriend, who is the real trekkie was so dissapointed. He had such a sad face, my heart kind of broke for him. For me, I didn't like that the whole show seemed to be about the klingons. All the others are about exploring, even voyager, but from what I gather this first season will be all about a klingon war.

I didn't like the new klingons and their new way of keeping the dead. The way they spoke the language felt wrong. I am by no means an expert but didn't they speaker faster in the other shows?

And it seems it's all about action, no drama. The setting is gorgeous though and I do like the different aliens on the ship. I will of course watch the third episode to see what happens, if it is worth continuing or not but as of now it is a thumbs down.

Offline alaskaallie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 04:26:52 AM »
Meeee I'm definitely a trekkie! I have to say that I wish they would move forward in time and do new stories. Can we stop with the constant prequels? Haven't we done enough with the klingons? Buuuut I also LOVE the main character and the show really feels like a star trek show for me. It's on netflix here so I will definitely be enjoying it!  :biggrin:

Kanchii

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »
I will totally agree with you guys about the time line as that's been my biggest gripe so far as well. I'm so sick of these "prequels" and really wish they'd move past voyager/ds9 and give us something new. This era has been beat to death.

The Klingons I was pretty pissy about at first because I also loved the style of them in TNG/DS9/VOY era however, I don't think they'd look great on television today. People would see them as, well, kinda cheesy. At least these new ones look like actual Aliens. I've also been told they WILL explain the different looks so maybe they start like this, then look more human in TOS, and then start evolving back into more ridges and stuff later in like TNG and stuff, you know? I guess we'll see.

Acting I thought was good, graphics were good, and I'm really excited to see where this goes! I did sign up for CBS All Access because I wanted them to see it was feasible to come out with another series (set later in the universe I hope!)

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »
I saw the premier and thought it was a good start.  However, it's not worth paying CBS to see.  I'll stick with the Oreville to get my space opera fix.

And this doesn't look like Star Trek.  I was disappointed more in the design of the Klingon ships not even looking like anything from the original.  The Starfleet uniforms also seem like they would be better either further in the past (like turn of the 23rd century instead of the middle of it) or in the future.  I like the design of the uniform, but I don't see it going into the Kirk era uniforms in a decade.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Kanchii

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
I saw the premier and thought it was a good start.  However, it's not worth paying CBS to see.  I'll stick with the Oreville to get my space opera fix.

And this doesn't look like Star Trek.  I was disappointed more in the design of the Klingon ships not even looking like anything from the original.  The Starfleet uniforms also seem like they would be better either further in the past (like turn of the 23rd century instead of the middle of it) or in the future.  I like the design of the uniform, but I don't see it going into the Kirk era uniforms in a decade.

Well, I have to point out something. During TOS, that was the best they could do. The uniforms, the spaceship etc was as "high tech" as they could make it look". Our view of the future has changed because we are "closer" to the future. We know we aren't going to be wearing those PJ looking outfits and mini-mini-mini skirts. Just like how we know we aren't going to have flashing buttons instead of tons of touch screens. So things have to change because we know 400 years into the future isn't going to look more dated than it is today.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 03:25:53 PM »
My problem is the Klingon ships.  The D7 battlecruiser is iconic and timeless.  It's the basis for all Klingon ship design.  The Starfleet designs look undeniably like Federation ships of the mid 23rd century even if they are new and updated.  The Klingon ships don't say "Klingon" to me.  The ships they showed looked like some of the randomly generated ships in Master of Orion II.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
OMG TRIBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that coo.
(and LOL @ the bowl of fortune cookies)
[episode 2]
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal