collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lost in Translation?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Libelle

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Lost in Translation?
« on: September 22, 2017, 09:51:18 AM »
Hi, everyone!

Most of you probably know that the early G4 playsets were released in different colour variations. If you take Fluttershy's Nursery Tree, for example, the colours of the leaf cradle, highchair, animal friends and pull-along cart would differ between the different variations.

I am looking to get one of those early playsets in a specific colour variation. Incidentally, the variation that Amazon is showing in their listing for the playset is the exact one that I am looking for.

I found a Polish seller on ebay who is using the picture provided by Amazon for their auction. I wanted to make sure that the playset they are selling does indeed correspond with the Amazon picture they are using. The following conversation between me and the seller ensued:

Me: Hello! The [playset] was released in different colour variations. I am looking for the one that has a pink [accessory] and a yellow [accessory] as shown in your auction picture. Can you confirm this is the one you are selling? Thank you very much!
Them: Hi, we have only that [playset]. Best regards. [Amazon picture attached.]
Me: Is it exactly the one shown in the picture? If yes, it's the one I'm looking for.
Them: We have the last three pieces, it is even reduced.

Do you think they understood my question? Do you think they are really selling that exact same playset pictured in the Amazon listing? In other words, should I risk to buy it ...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Sundown for my Fairy Tail Birds!
Wishlist

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Lost in Translation?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 12:35:25 PM »
International transactions with language issues are always hard. I have found that there are things you can do to make it go slightly easier. Keeping sentences short and simple usually helps a lot, especially if they're running through a translator.

If this was my transaction, I'd make one last attempt to get a firm answer, but I'd make it REALLY easy for her to understand what you want.

"Can you look at the playset you are selling and answer 2 questions[or however many you need]?
1.  What color is [accessory 1]?
2.  What color is [accessory 2]?
Thank you:)"

Or you could substitute:
1. Is [accessory 1] yellow?
2. Is [accessory 2] pink?
Etc.

The short sentences are easy to understand even with an iffy grasp of English, and should run through a translator ok if she's using that. The list format will hopefully encourage her to notice and answer each question, and should make it easy for her to answer.

If you can't get an answer out of her with that, I'd say ask yourself if the cost is worth the risk of getting the wrong playset, knowing you're most likely going to be stuck with it. If it's this hard to get information out of her now, just imagine trying to do an international return!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
"Can you look at the playset you are selling and answer 2 questions[or however many you need]?

I agree but, I feel the first set of questions is best.  It requires that they answer with the detail you want because it is open ended.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:33:20 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 06:06:40 PM »
If possible, I'd suggest maybe adding pictures - can you find pics of both/all versions of accessories? Then put a big green circle around the specific one you want....then they have a clear visual, that might help.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 11:51:22 PM »
One thing to note is that polish websites are notorious for using stock photos. I have been told before that it was "definitely the one in the photo" and then it wasn't.
You won't get your money back either

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 04:34:45 PM »

I agree but, I feel the first set of questions is best.  It requires that they answer with the detail you want because it is open ended.

I would either follow tulagirl's advice or wait for another seller.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 03:21:07 AM »

If this was my transaction, I'd make one last attempt to get a firm answer, but I'd make it REALLY easy for her to understand what you want.

If you can't get an answer out of her with that, I'd say ask yourself if the cost is worth the risk of getting the wrong playset, knowing you're most likely going to be stuck with it. If it's this hard to get information out of her now, just imagine trying to do an international return!

This would be my advice too :nod: :bigups:   If the seller still does not clearly answer those simple questions then I would not risk the transaction ;) better to take time finding another playset than being stuck with one you don't want or trying to do an international return with someone who doesn't understand the same language and thinks they sent you what you wanted... or if the item went MIA in the post or the seller didn't sent it in the end, it could get really messy :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Libelle

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 04:15:18 AM »

This would be my advice too :nod: :bigups:   If the seller still does not clearly answer those simple questions then I would not risk the transaction ;)

Yikes, I've been having a really hard time logging into the Arena these past few days ... thus the late reply, but I've been following the excellent advice that you came up with in the meantime. ;) I still haven't received a definite answer, so I'm letting the playset go. It would have been a very good price, but I don't mind waiting for another good opportunity to come along.

Thanks so much everyone! I'm sure I'll be able to put your advice to good use again in the future! :)

Thank you Sundown for my Fairy Tail Birds!
Wishlist

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal