collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Luxury Designer G1 stuff! Moschino  (Read 6730 times)

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Luxury Designer G1 stuff! Moschino
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 12:41:52 PM »
This technically isn't the first time ponies have been used by a fashion brand https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2017-ready-to-wear/manish-arora#collection
Though this is the first one I've seen with G1 ponies.
Moschino used G1 Transformers in a previous collection too https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2017-menswear/moschino#collection
I guess Hasbro is trying to get some of that high fashion money?

Offline Shabi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 03:12:11 PM »
I know these are for people who have a lot of money and could buy a helicopter made of gold every day but I don't think these clothes are nice. Even those 20$ shirts people linked here have much better colors and design. I can't understand this "fashion" thing XD

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 04:09:20 AM »
Wh... you can get a g1 backpack from loungefly (that's way prettier, and features rarer art of ponies never produced, I might add) for about $50. Which is still pretty steep in my opinion, but it's nowhere near $800.

I don't get it. If you want something that says "mosquito" or w/e the brand name is on it so badly, you could just take out a sharpie and scribble it on there. It wouldn't look legit, but you'd have a MLP shirt that says "moschino", and you wouldn't have to pay triple digits for it.

I have one of the small cosmetic Loungefly bags with the Fairy Brights ponies on it and it I think I paid around $16 including shipping for it.

I won't be able to afford any of the  Moschino stuff. I think a lot of companies are realizing now that children who were born/grew up in the 80's are adults now and that's why we're seeing a lot of MLP, Care Bears and other 80's retro items.

Ponyfan

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2017, 05:02:37 AM »
All I know is if I had that kind of money I have a whole list of actual ponies I'd like to own.

:nod: Ain't that the truth!!!

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »
Of course there is always this $17 shirt at Forever21
https://www.forever21.com/us/shop/Catalog/Product/F21/top_blouses_b/2000093502/01?gclid=CjwKCAjw6ZLOBRALEiwAxzyCW7WTu0AEurCMhfxoxchg5qIEYPoj14t1u_-ufnM92q1HfJwFM-bWahoCQsUQAvD_BwE

I don't think it looks any better or worse than some of the tshirts by Moschino

I like this shirt a lot but for some reason the link takes me to a random F21 site. Is it not available in Europe? :|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
I've never been able to afford Moschino and probably never will, but I still like the fact that they made a collection all about MLP.  Certain people used to wear Moschino to drum n bass clubs in the 90s. Drum n bass was my previous favourite thing so this is quite an amusing coincidence. Here is the closest type of thing I can find but though not really the right look:

https://cdnd.lystit.com/photos/46f1-2015/09/17/love-moschino-black-t-shirt-with-ribbon-tattoo-back-print-product-0-208129459-normal.jpeg
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2017, 11:09:44 AM »
Of course there is always this $17 shirt at Forever21

I don't think it looks any better or worse than some of the tshirts by Moschino

I like this shirt a lot but for some reason the link takes me to a random F21 site. Is it not available in Europe? :|

Could be- the link is still working for me but maybe they don't accept international? If you need help getting it let me know (they have only size small and large left and it is $17.90 + ship)  ALthough the reviews look kinda poor- someone is complaining that it is made of fleece material cut into shape of t-shirt...

Offline centaurette

• Captain Jack Pony
  • i'm preparing to shine... from the inside, out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2017, 12:06:50 PM »
this whole thing (as in, this topic from what i've seen on here, tumblr, instagram, etc) is like... kind of amusing to me because i'm kind of surprised at all of the 'fake fan' comments on this subject? i mean fashion was and always will be commentary on popular culture and ponies and toys are just that: popular culture. so it really makes perfect sense that moschino would feature them in a collection; especially since they've used transformers, barbie, super mario, mcdonalds, and more in their past lines. not to mention... jeremy scott (the creative director behind all of the above lines)... literally loves toys?

toys and fashion are not mutually exclusive; i pride myself in my wardrobe collection and my pony collection, and i don't see what the big deal is about the price when it's high fashion, which means just that: it's designer and it's not meant to be affordable or accessible to everybody; that's just the genre of the style. think of it as collectors only, haha. and just like literally all of his other lines (mcdonald's iphone cases for $10 anyone?) and any major fashion brand and collection that's ever existed... it's gonna get duped. so that's just a waiting game.

i guess i don't see why some folks are like... ripping apart this collection and calling the creator a 'fake fan' (a ludicrous concept in and of itself in my opinion) when he also constantly makes references to other lesser known 80s toys (my pet monster is one that comes to mind). fashion designers are inspired by things that they love, and jeremy scott loves toys, so to me, calling him a 'fake fan' or implying that he's just doing it to be 'trendy' (again, don't see how this is a bad thing considering lots of mlp fans became fans... because it's trendy... because that's how people find out about things and come to enjoy them...) when he's proven time and time again that these toys bring him joy and that they serve as his muse is a little silly to me.

plus, i mean we're all collectors here, so i don't see how someone spending $700 on a shirt is like... a laughable waste of money when collectors spend that on toys easily and don't think twice about it. like it's your money do what you want but i don't see how it makes sense to make a mockery of people who spend money differently than you do. fashion collectors might argue that it's asinine to spend $700 on a plastic horse that will sit on a shelf. neither side is correct (or mature, really) for chiding the other for spending their money how they want. that's the beauty of your money: it's your money!

people who want a shirt can go to walmart and buy fruit of the loom, just like people that want a plastic horse can buy a lanard pony. clothing collectors that want something because of the name, because it's unique and aesthetically appeals to them, buys moschino. pony collectors that want something because of the name, because it's unique and aesthetically appeals to them, buys my little pony. literally, it's as simple as that. everyone has things they're passionate about and that they love to buy because it makes them happy, i'm not quite sure why anyone bothers with the labels of 'real fan' and 'fake fan' when it's not about deciding who is worthy or who loves what more, it's about being passionate and enjoying yourself as a collector!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »
this whole thing (as in, this topic from what i've seen on here, tumblr, instagram, etc) is like... kind of amusing to me because i'm kind of surprised at all of the 'fake fan' comments on this subject? i mean fashion was and always will be commentary on popular culture and ponies and toys are just that: popular culture. so it really makes perfect sense that moschino would feature them in a collection; especially since they've used transformers, barbie, super mario, mcdonalds, and more in their past lines. not to mention... jeremy scott (the creative director behind all of the above lines)... literally loves toys?

toys and fashion are not mutually exclusive; i pride myself in my wardrobe collection and my pony collection, and i don't see what the big deal is about the price when it's high fashion, which means just that: it's designer and it's not meant to be affordable or accessible to everybody; that's just the genre of the style. think of it as collectors only, haha. and just like literally all of his other lines (mcdonald's iphone cases for $10 anyone?) and any major fashion brand and collection that's ever existed... it's gonna get duped. so that's just a waiting game.

i guess i don't see why some folks are like... ripping apart this collection and calling the creator a 'fake fan' (a ludicrous concept in and of itself in my opinion) when he also constantly makes references to other lesser known 80s toys (my pet monster is one that comes to mind). fashion designers are inspired by things that they love, and jeremy scott loves toys, so to me, calling him a 'fake fan' or implying that he's just doing it to be 'trendy' (again, don't see how this is a bad thing considering lots of mlp fans became fans... because it's trendy... because that's how people find out about things and come to enjoy them...) when he's proven time and time again that these toys bring him joy and that they serve as his muse is a little silly to me.

plus, i mean we're all collectors here, so i don't see how someone spending $700 on a shirt is like... a laughable waste of money when collectors spend that on toys easily and don't think twice about it. like it's your money do what you want but i don't see how it makes sense to make a mockery of people who spend money differently than you do. fashion collectors might argue that it's asinine to spend $700 on a plastic horse that will sit on a shelf. neither side is correct (or mature, really) for chiding the other for spending their money how they want. that's the beauty of your money: it's your money!

people who want a shirt can go to walmart and buy fruit of the loom, just like people that want a plastic horse can buy a lanard pony. clothing collectors that want something because of the name, because it's unique and aesthetically appeals to them, buys moschino. pony collectors that want something because of the name, because it's unique and aesthetically appeals to them, buys my little pony. literally, it's as simple as that. everyone has things they're passionate about and that they love to buy because it makes them happy, i'm not quite sure why anyone bothers with the labels of 'real fan' and 'fake fan' when it's not about deciding who is worthy or who loves what more, it's about being passionate and enjoying yourself as a collector!

I don't think I've accused anyone of being a fake fan tbh. The only thing I brought up was that it could be appreciated by people who remember MLP fondly but might feel they are too "mature" to collect toys (And tbh there is nothing wrong with that as long as they refrain from bullying those who do collect). The members of this forum are not the only people in the world who might have fond memories of MLP.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:47:36 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline centaurette

• Captain Jack Pony
  • i'm preparing to shine... from the inside, out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2017, 02:28:04 PM »

I don't think I've accused anyone of being a fake fan tbh. The only thing I brought up was that it could be appreciated by people who remember MLP fondly but might feel they are too "mature" to collect toys (And tbh there is nothing wrong with that as long as they refrain from bullying those who do collect). The members of this forum are not the only people in the world who might have fond memories of MLP.

i'm not saying you personally did. this has been quite a hot topic on many of the sites i'm a part of, such as instagram, tumblr, and here, and so my reply was based on a larger majority. i didn't quote anyone specifically because it's not just one person! and i was also surprised at the amount of maybe hypothical (please correct me if i'm wrong!) bullying of those who collect mlp? in the realm of this discussion (high fashion mixing with toy collecting), i've never seen those who wear moschino to bully or harass those who collect the toys featured on the clothing. quite the opposite, really.

nostalgia brings people together and is totally subjective, so whether you like barbie's moschino line or her poseable doll line, it's still appreciation for barbie! i was pressured to donate a lot of my barbies after i had 'grown up', and the moschino barbie clothing collection came out and gave me such pleasant memories of playing with my barbies, and brought it about in a way that fit in with my adult life and connected it to my childhood. i think that's pretty badass! collecting isn't a new age thing and everybody collects something, be it stamps, clothes, toys, art, or anything else, so i was just kind of surprised at a lot of people's reactions to the collection. :relaxed:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »
I think the difference is very simple. We collect toys, not designer clothing. Of course seeing a collection like this would be shocking and probably isn't going to be well liked.

It doesn't help that the Moschino pieces look identical (and to some worse, due to the branding) to very affordable MLP clothing. The pony collecting community as a whole isn't going to appreciate that or find special meaning in it because extremely expensive designer clothing isn't our thing. To many of us "Moschino" is a meaningless title. It has no impact on us. All we see is what looks like Primark clothing with insane $500+ pricetags.

Personally, Moschino is whatever to me. I hate their branding of just throwing "Moschino" on everything but I do like their aesthetic sometimes. (I was very sad to miss my favorite pieces of the Sephora x Moschino collab, for example.) But Moschino and ponies? To me its just ridiculous. There's nothing special about this collection or the individual pieces except for a name that doesn't mean a thing to me.

I'd never expect people who collect designer clothing to have any sort of good opinion about collecting toys; they're totally different worlds. I'm not surprised toy collectors don't like the idea of collecting designer clothing, their prices, etc. Honestly I'm kind of surprised you expected something like this to go over well and be happily accepted within the various different pony communities. Most people I've known find designer clothing to be ridiculous and laugh at the idea of paying hundreds of dollars for a basic T-shirt. I'd never expect toy collectors to see it differently, especially since so many of the toys we collect are extremely cheap. Very few ponies are in the Moschino price range and many MLP collectors avoid them because of that cost.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2017, 02:44:42 PM »
If these shirts had unique art on them drawn by a fashion designer then I would understand that there is some unique value in them, even if I myself would never spend that much.

Like this Transformers "suit" looks gaudy and absurd and I'm sure it cost an arm and a leg, but at least it's DIFFERENT and shows some creativity:

But the Moschino art basically looks like stuff you could get at a store like Target or Primark or, in the case of the keychain, pay someone on Etsy to make for twenty bucks.

Also, the composition is just not very good on a lot of the shirts and mini-dresses.  (The ponies are "too big" for the size of the garment or placed oddly.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:48:44 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2017, 05:52:41 PM »
I've been waiting for this. One of my fav fashion brands and my all time fav toybrands just got married and had a shirtbaby.

Offline rearing_palomino164

• MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
If I had the money....

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2017, 09:27:47 PM »
To lighten the mood, I have to say I do really like the shoulder bag! I think it's cute how it looks like a jacket. Still a shame that it's way too much for me to ever afford, but it's a pretty cute and unique design!

The shoulder bag is probably my favorite thing in this collection.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal