collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about normal v "Groom 'n' Style"/Grooming Parlour G1 Bow Tie and Peachy  (Read 562 times)

Offline FlickaFriend

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
I've read the Wiki but still can't figure this out:

Bow Tie
So in Europe as well as the "shy pose" Bow Tie there was also a Collector's Pose Bow Tie.  My question is whether she only came as the "groom 'n' style" pony with very long straight mane/tail or if she also came as a "regular" CP pony with regular mane & tail (slightly curved).

Peachy
Same sort of question - Peachy came with the Grooming Parlour playset, and she has the very long straight mane & tail.  But was there also a regular Peachy with the regular type of mane & tail?

I want to complete my CP set, I already have the grooming style Bow Tie and Peachy but if there are also regular versions I want to get those too.

Thanks!!

Flicka x
Keeping on cantering on.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
I highly recommend Taffeta's website ^.^

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/index.html

Hong Kong CP Bowtie has long curly hair :) Hong Kong shy pose Bowtie had shorter hair :)

I'm not sure on Peachy, she got a lot of releases!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline FlickaFriend

• View Profile

Hong Kong CP Bowtie has long curly hair :) Hong Kong shy pose Bowtie had shorter hair :)

Love pkw xxx

Thank you.  Taffeta's website is great. I've looked at it before but thank you for reminding me about it, I've just had another read (so fascinating!).  So yes it answers the question about Bow Tie.  To my shame I now realised I put the hair straighteners to my CP Bow Tie's factory curls because they were too frizzy :(  Sorry community.  I didn't know.

But I still can't work out the deal with Peachy.  Taffeta's scrapbook says she was released as a flat foot, but it's not clear on whether she was ever released with the shorter hair.
Keeping on cantering on.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Thanks PKW ;)

Glad it helped you with Bow Tie, FlickaFriend. And it's not really an issue if you straightened your pony's frizzy curls xD She's your pony and if her curls were frizzy you probably improved them ;)

Peachy is a pain. Hasbro had this playset out in stores in the UK for about three years and from the quantity of Peachy and set found second hand, they made a LOT. That's a lot of batches. The FF I don't think made it to the UK at all.

What I can say about Peachy's hair is that there are definitely different rooting styles of hair on this pony. Also on Lemon Drop, who had even more years of release. You can also see it with Majesty and Sprinkles to some degree which suggests it has something to do with playset ponies, but nobody (as far as I know) has ever done any serious research into that possible connection. Some of these Peachys have hair plugs that are tightly rooted together, and the hair looks more like the mane of a regular first release Bow Tie or Applejack, or maybe like Snuzzle or someone like that. I've noticed sometimes the pink of this hair can be richer, but that's not guaranteed.

There are some with wider threaded plugs whose hair doesn't necessarily have the same shape, hangs long and lank and thus appears longer and thinner, although I've never measured it. As far as I know all of those Peachy variations, including all of the symbol variations and the hoof print ones are still ones sold with the Grooming Parlour between 1983ish and 1986-7ish when Peachy was swapped out for Snuzzle for a year before Kiss Curl took over. We didn't have Mail Order ponies here for very long, so there's no Mail Order Peachy release here. I am not aware at present of any other UK release outside of the Grooming Parlour for her. Snuzzle can be found in all kinds of different releases between 1983ish and 1987, but Peachy only ever seems to be with the parlour.

So probably your variations are batch related, and it's up to you how many you choose to keep. The good thing about Peachy is that they are easy to get a hold on - the bad thing is that you could end up with a genuine army as there are a LOT of minor variations with this pony. And honestly, none of us can really explain why except that it is probably to do with the batch :/

One other thing - the "Groom 'n' Style" label was only (as far as I know) used for the UK set by Hasbro UK. I don't think it was used for the US release, although four/six of the ponies more or less are the same.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:18:37 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline FlickaFriend

• View Profile
Thanks Taffeta. You rock. I can feel a Peachy army coming on...
Keeping on cantering on.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Thanks Taffeta. You rock. I can feel a Peachy army coming on...

:D I am sure there are a lot of unwanted and unloved Peachys who would just love to form an army. Even Peachy needs love...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
I had a curly-haired Collector pose MOC Bow-Tie at one point.  I can't remember where she was from, but I think it was a European card.  (She was made in Hong Kong, not Italy.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I have one on a 1986 card in German and there are a few around...I think Ponyland also has one. But she is not named or pictured on the card so that one is still a bit mysterious. CP Bow Tie isn't a UK only pony though. She is European but where she is made can vary and the Groom and Style name is just in the UK.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon

Love pkw xxx

Thank you.  Taffeta's website is great. I've looked at it before but thank you for reminding me about it, I've just had another read (so fascinating!).  So yes it answers the question about Bow Tie.  To my shame I now realised I put the hair straighteners to my CP Bow Tie's factory curls because they were too frizzy :(  Sorry community.  I didn't know.

But I still can't work out the deal with Peachy.  Taffeta's scrapbook says she was released as a flat foot, but it's not clear on whether she was ever released with the shorter hair.

Don't feel bad :hug:

The longer, curly hair is always more prone to going frizzy, my childhood CP Bowtie and Cherries Jubilee both had frazzled tails and I straightened them ;)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
You're more than welcome to scour my Pretty Parlor / Grooming Parlor albums.   If you're familiar with Photobucket, I'd recommend using the side menu to the left --- it shows ALL the international albums there.   
http://s7.photobucket.com/user/ashlyne/library/INVENTORY_G1/Pretty%20Parlors

Taffeta is correct -- there are so many slight differences between Peachy's that you kind of have to decide how picky you're going to be.   Does the slight difference in pink paint on the symbols matter to you?   Or the eye color?  Or shade of body? Or forelock length? Even the "squishiness" of the body can vary.  Some of it can be attributed to different batches, or the factory supplies that were available in that region or at that time. Some of it is environmental, exposure to sunlight, heat, and chemicals will change the appearance.  The factory could've had more than one hair threading machine. One machine could've been calibrated differently or needed a tune-up, which may have accounted for wider placement of plugs in the mane.  It's near impossible to tell sometimes if a Peachy is a specific variation, or if it's differences are a random result of production or environment exposure.   So you can go a bit mad with trying to find the absolute truth about all of them.

This is an old photo, before I went full-on crazy with collecting international parlors. But it gives you an idea of how slight the differences can be out there:

You can prevent yourself from chasing after an army of Peachy's by limiting it to the obvious variations.   Italy, Macau, Brazil, and Greece produced a specific Peachy... possibly other countries.  Macau Peachy has lovely long hair, btw!  Spain had a no-country Peachy, and a piggy version too.   

More common variations are the Hong Kong ones:  Flat-Footed Peachy, Peachy with stamps on the front hooves only, stamps on all 4 hooves (very common), and this odd-ball one from a German Parlor with the front hoof stamps melted out:

I don't think there was a Peachy made in China....  can anyone confirm this?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:44:03 AM by ashlyne »

Offline FlickaFriend

• View Profile
Wow I love your Peachy army Ashlyn (and your lemon drops! And your majesties!). I see what you mean about all the variation in Peachy. I will browse the rest of your album when I'm on my computer instead of my phone.

I'm very happy to give all the Peachies a loving home (well, maybe not ALL!), I think she's gorgeous. Love her colours, pose and symbol. Going for nirvana is scary to me as I'm a novice collector and not into spending big $$$ but I do only have limited space so that's actually not a bad idea and I would probably spend the same on a couple of nirvanas as on a whole bunch of common ones.
Keeping on cantering on.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
@Ashlyne, I think you are crazy. But in a good way. As regards China Peachy, I don't think so because continental editions had so many variations in manufacturing location. She was also pulled from the parlour for Snuzzle here in 87 -China Lemon Drop came in around 89 and China Majesty is thought to come from later release  Dream Castkes. So Peachy no longer existed when the China thing happened.

@ Flickafriend - Italian Peachy is very common and you might do well to find a continental European collector who is overrun. She sometimes shows up here too, I found mine here, so of all the Nirvana Peachy ponies, I would make her your priority. I suspect there may be some European collectors selling at Ponycon who might have one to get rid of...worth looking, anyway.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
@Ashlyne, I think you are crazy. But in a good way. As regards China Peachy, I don't think so because continental editions had so many variations in manufacturing location. She was also pulled from the parlour for Snuzzle here in 87 -China Lemon Drop came in around 89 and China Majesty is thought to come from later release  Dream Castkes. So Peachy no longer existed when the China thing happened.

@ Flickafriend - Italian Peachy is very common and you might do well to find a continental European collector who is overrun. She sometimes shows up here too, I found mine here, so of all the Nirvana Peachy ponies, I would make her your priority. I suspect there may be some European collectors selling at Ponycon who might have one to get rid of...worth looking, anyway.

Lol!   Had I known there were so many different releases in each country.....

You're absolutely right about Italian Peachy. She was also sold with sets from Germany, France, Sweden, Belgium and possibly Denmark.  That Peachy probably has the most stamps in her passport ;)

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Except being in the EU means no passport stamp...and sometimes no passport either ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
Except being in the EU means no passport stamp...and sometimes no passport either ;)

I learn something new every day!  Last time I was in Europe, they still stamped individual countries within the EU. But it's been a very long time since I've visited.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal