collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hobby Welding?  (Read 594 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Hobby Welding?
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
Does anyone here weld for a hobby? I'm kind of interested in learning how to some day, I'd love to make metal sculptures but worry it might be too complicated or spook me (I don't much like intense open flames and the like)... If anyone has any advice/recommendations, websites or YouTube channels, I'm all ears.  ^.^

My partner and I watch a few woodworking YouTube channels, he is keen to learn woodworking, particularly how to use a lathe.

Please share pictures of your creations as well if you have any to display!  :biggrin:
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: Hobby Welding?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
I don't have the tools for it, and mom and dad said no open flames in the house. I can't offer much advice, but remember to always do it safely. Regularly inspect equipment, use with the proper protection and follow the safety guidelines. I can speak for the shop teacher at my junior high school. Nobody wants to have their appendage on ice in the waiting room of the hospital. That just makes people as questions.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
I don't really weld myself anymore but my dad is a welding teacher and did it with me a bit when I was a kid. I've never found it particularly scary, although that may be because I grew up with it. Of course there's danger with it but as long as you never cut corners, always follow the safety rules, and learn from a reputable teacher I don't think its a big deal. My dad has never had an issue with it himself, just a few students screwing around and not following proper procedure from time to time.

You should see if there are any welder groups, artists, or classes in your area. You might be able to find some people to talk to about it who can give you some tips,
 like what classes/teachers are good and where the best place is to get supplies :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »
I did some welding in art school, it's very fun once you get used to it! I'll repeat everyone else's advice to absolutely being as safe as possible...Definitely make sure you keep track of what tanks are open, don't wear loose clothing/have hair tied up, and if wearing jeans, no frays at the ends (they can catch fire.) There's more, but yeah if you can find someone experienced to teach you, you should be good! A lot of it is common sense.

Here's something I made in the welding room, it's an icosahedron :D

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »
I've tried- I have the tools.

I also took a "jewelry making" class at a local art studio (her way of paying for new things like kilns) - and it was WAY more helpful and fun to have an instructor (with ALL the tools and materials on hand) -  so that's the route I would recommend starting with...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal