collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FIM S7E19 It Isn't The Mane Thing About You  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
FIM S7E19 It Isn't The Mane Thing About You
« on: September 17, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
With the removal of the FIM forum, it's time to move our weekly episode discussion here to the corral! Expect them every Saturday  :biggrin:
(Please forgive my lateness on this one!)

This episode is a Rarity-centric one! After getting her hair messed up by Pinkie's super sticky party string - a day before a photoshoot no less - Rarity and Pinkie go to Zecora to find a solvent to remove the string. But - it removes Rarity's hair instead. Eek! It's up to the rest of the mane six to help Rarity see that there's more to her than just her looks.

This wasn't a bad episode overall. We get to see a lot of Rarity's business savvy and there was even some callbacks to previous episodes! Specifically we see Granny Smith at the market selling alongside Grand Pear and Big Mac walking around with Sugarbelle. We also got to see the baby cakes and Zecora again.

I love the punk style Rarity took at the end. I've seen lots of wonderful fan art of it. This reminds me of when I saw a user here at the arena make a punk custom of a baity G1 Glory they got  :P

What are your thoughts?  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: FIM S7E19 It Isn't The Mane Thing About You
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 02:54:37 PM »
I liked it! Usually, I'm not a huge fan a episodes focused on Rarity, but this was an exception. I enjoyed seeing her daily business and the references to earlier episodes. I did think that at the end, when every pony had punk hair like Rarity it did look a bit silly :lol: Also, Photo Finish was really sweet by taking those pictures of Rarity, I'm glad we got more of her antics :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
Odd that magic to give a reptile a mustache is okay but magic to grow a mane is a major no-no.  Too bad G4 ponies don't have the instantly regrowing hair of G1 ponies.  I think they just wanted to animate punk Rarity.

The episode was entertaining, but that's about it.  But I'll take it over episodes trying pathetically to punch above their weight.

I do wonder how many Rarity toys will be destroyed to remake the punk look.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
It's the making a mane out of thin air that doesn't work. Rarity took off her own tail and magically attached it to Steve's face. That's a very different thing.

I saw the thumbnail screenshot of Rarity with her mane just about gone and horrible looking and of course Rarity herself looking frazzled and was like 'Oh Lord, what's wrong with her this time?' I liked her punk look too that she came up with in the end. Told my husband I foresee people making customs of Rarity like that^^

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 03:57:26 PM »
I mean giving Spike a mustache back in Episode 6.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »
The episode was cute.  I liked the message.

In regards to the mane magic, this is indicative of one of FiMs issues with its world building.  Magic is just too ubiquitous and used for anything and everything to the point were its sooo obvious when the writers are jumping through hoops to explain why something *can't* be fixed by magic.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 08:01:00 AM »
Not really a fan of the look Rarity had from after her mane got removed. The ep as a whole was rather bland.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: FIM S7E19 It Isn\'t The Mane Thing About You
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 08:24:51 AM »
Too bad G4 ponies don't have the instantly regrowing hair of G1 ponies.

Haha!

Didn't Rarity's tail grow back after using the Elements of Harmony? That's when they ran out of mane magic  :lol:
Anyways, it was a cute episode. And I liked that she just used a different style in the end, that was a nice character moment. I want a punk Rarity.

Post Merge: September 18, 2017, 08:28:02 AM

In regards to the mane magic, this is indicative of one of FiMs issues with its world building.  Magic is just too ubiquitous and used for anything and everything to the point were its sooo obvious when the writers are jumping through hoops to explain why something *can't* be fixed by magic.

Agreed. I'm an old fart and I would like to see more specific magic. Like when G1 Gusty could create gusts of wind, Fizzy's bubbles or some unicorns could "wink".
That way magic wasn't too overused because it could'nt be used for everything.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:28:02 AM by Zapper »

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 02:18:54 PM »
Yeah.  The original cartoon actually had predetermined limits on the unicorns' magic so they stayed consistent.  Now that we have two characters who can do just about anything with magic, not being able to use magic to do something is woefully inconsistent.  Unicorn Twilight could give Spike a handlebar mustache as one of her basic spells, but Alicorn Twilight can't make Rarity's own mane grow faster?

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 06:00:05 PM »
I liked this episode but did anyone else notice that Zecora seemed a bit off.  Like her voice actress was different.  Also, something about her color scheme seems different from when we last saw her.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 06:06:45 PM »
Rarity pulled off that punk look very well! Loving all the artwork people have been drawing of it!

I liked this episode but did anyone else notice that Zecora seemed a bit off.  Like her voice actress was different.  Also, something about her color scheme seems different from when we last saw her.

She sounded the same to me.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 07:40:12 PM »
Yeah, I thought her voice was different too. I also thought her appearance changed a bit too in color, but now I'm not so sure.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 07:41:11 PM »
I loved her punk look.  :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 09:56:13 PM »
I mean giving Spike a mustache back in Episode 6.

Oh right. I forgot about that^^;

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 11:20:50 PM »
So are wigs not a thing in Equestria? I thought it seemed a little silly too that Rarity's mane couldn't be magic'd back but I was honestly so distracted by them not just making a wig I couldn't even really focus on the episode. In the last spell Twilight and Starlight tried they had a bunch of stray hair all over the castle! Why not just make it into a wig? Was the hair Rarity used for her punk mohawk later on from that spell? Was it even hair? Applejack's bonnet seemed like a wig but then was the bird that pecked at it supposed to imply it was just hay? I feel like Rarity didn't have to suffer like this.

In the end though I adored Rarity's punk look, I'd totally buy a figure of her like that! I adored Rainbow Dash's cloud hair too, she's more of an artist than anyone gives her credit for. And Pinkie's bouncy hair at the end was fun too! I'm glad she got to have a lush mane after Rarity dismissed it at the beginning of the episode haha

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal