collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is anyone else in your family a collector?  (Read 2610 times)

Offline alaskaallie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Is anyone else in your family a collector?
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:50:33 AM »
I was just thinking about this the other day. As a teenager/young adult my parents used to say "come on now, why are you spending your money on toys?"

*looks at dad with his extensive collection of vintage toy ambulances and firetrucks carefully arranged in their display case*
*looks at mom with her even more extensive collection of steiff animals and other vintage toys in the special display cases my dad built for her*

"gee, I don't know guys, where do you think I got that from?"   :lol:

When I was a little kid we all went antiquing together, and they taught me to have a pretty good eye for collectables. Their collections were never very large as they were extremely picky, but I remember having so much fun those hours spent pouring through weird stuff in antique shops to find a little gem. I feel that after the internet really got going those sorts of shops disappeared :c

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Is anyone else in your family a collector?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
My mom and dad don't collect anything, but my grandpa on my mom's side has a small collection of model cars!

EDIT: Had... I guess he just died in his sleep last night...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:17:13 PM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:03:32 AM »
Nobody really collects in my family who's currently living, but great grandma on my dads side collected anything under the sun! Little eggs, big eggs, candles shaped like eggs... then you have her miniaturesand THAT was something! A few of them have been in the family for years, and are miniatures her mother had growing up. Then you have her souvenir collection. She and great grandad traveled all over Australia in their youth, and once I was born, she took adventures with grandma overseas, usually on the way to visit us in Canada. She had so many cool things! She also collected just random objects. Gran was a child during ww2, and her family kept anything because you never knew when you might need it. War mentality. And even in her old age, she did it. Her purse had what I think was once a wet wipe like what they give you in the little packets at KFC. But when she opened it, it was dust!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »
My uncle collects model buses; mostly London themed ones as we are an English family and that is where he grew up. So I keep an eye out for buses for him and he keeps an eye out for ponies for me  :)

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
Collectors and hoarders...  yeah... 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 11:41:14 AM »
My Auntie & Uncle collect Lego... Tons and tons and tons of Lego. They have so much it has a huge room down stairs. Masses packed away in the loft, and lots on display in the front room too. (if anyone has seen the Lego show on channel 4 here in the UK... That room where they make the lego.... Double it  :lol:)
Auntie also collects winnie the pooh teddies & harry potter items. Buses (toy metal London or British buses only) (she has actually written children books about a bus) .. And lots of other things tbh.

My boyfriends little brother also collects lego (he is still little not just his younger brother ^.^)
He seems to like starwars the most

Boyfriends mum collects Trolls (vintage)

My cousin (parents are the lego collectors) & her boyfriend collect quite a few things, superhero items, harry potter, gaming things, pokemon... List is pretty endless.

Brother... Alcohol and minions atm  :lol:

Mum... Well she collects then sells  :lol:

Nana... Ponies for me  :lol: (mum and nana were the ones who started me off. One day she gave me a whole sack full of ponies when i was little)

My Boyfriend is starting to collect Stitch teddies... Doubt he will get loads though. He tends to spend his money on pc games instead
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 01:37:36 PM »
Oh yeah. I think most people in my family collect stuff.

Grandmother on my mom's side had bluebird figures. I have a few of them now. Dad's side it was music boxes, silver spoons and collector plates with animals on them. The music boxes were split up, I have a couple. My dad has the spoons & plates.

My mom used to collect a lot of things, but most of it was given to me. My dad collects antique tools and baseball caps. He was a serious coin collector most of his life but his collection was stolen and he never really got back into it.

My sister... eh, she tried but eventually sold off her stuff to pay for her drug habit (she's the one who stole the coins).

My niece collects snowglobes, wolf related stuff and Eminem merchandise.

My cat collects the plastic rings from gallon jugs :P

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 01:40:26 PM »
My mom and dad don't collect anything, but my grandpa on my mom's side has a small collection of model cars!

:( :hug:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 03:38:22 PM »

Oh my gosh...I am so sorry -.- *hugs*

My younger brother is a big Lego collector.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »
There's quite a bit of collecting on my dad's side of the family!

Great grandma - Chicken everything; her house is full of chicken art and figures and stuff. Boston terrier stuff as well, to a much lesser extent.

Grandma - Dolls and sewing patterns. She also has a ton of fabric and general sewing supplies, but I don't know if she'd call it a collection. Next time I visit I'll be taking home her dolls.

Great aunt - Also dolls, though I never really realized it growing up. I always thought of her sister as the doll collector. She also collects Precious Moments figures, I think it was, and vintage teddy bears. The bears are her main focus and I own most of her dolls now.

Different aunt - At one point she collected Living Dead dolls but I don't know if she still does.

And then of course there's also my boyfriend who very passively collects historic things, interesting coins, and glass bottles.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
My mother collects Snoopy things and my dad used to collect Budweiser steins!
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
My Dad is a collector but of the 3 of his children, I'm the only one who collects!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »
My former gandpa had tin toys, antique ones with the boxes, all are gone now do to a house fire.  Some were quite rare too.

Offline alaskaallie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 09:48:47 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear that  :(

Post Merge: September 17, 2017, 09:50:46 PM

Nobody really collects in my family who's currently living, but great grandma on my dads side collected anything under the sun! Little eggs, big eggs, candles shaped like eggs... then you have her miniaturesand THAT was something! A few of them have been in the family for years, and are miniatures her mother had growing up. Then you have her souvenir collection. She and great grandad traveled all over Australia in their youth, and once I was born, she took adventures with grandma overseas, usually on the way to visit us in Canada. She had so many cool things! She also collected just random objects. Gran was a child during ww2, and her family kept anything because you never knew when you might need it. War mentality. And even in her old age, she did it. Her purse had what I think was once a wet wipe like what they give you in the little packets at KFC. But when she opened it, it was dust!

Sounds like some fascinating collections! My grandma has a tendency to be the same way, saving all those little things that might be useful later.

Post Merge: September 17, 2017, 10:17:10 PM

Collectors and hoarders...  yeah...

It can be a fine line sometimes. Where I grew up there is a lot of that "keep everything 'cause you never know when you might need it (and who knows when you'll be able to get something again)". For a long time I didn't buy anything because I agreed with my family's general feeling that too much stuff is BAD. I still do, to an extent, but I'm balancing this with buying only the pieces that I've thought over carefully that I want, and not buying things just because they are pastel/cute/pony themed (which is how I get overwhelmed). Maybe a touchy topic on a collector's forum, but I have been reading a lot about minimalism lately and trying to balance that with my desire to own sO mAnY PLASTIC hOrSES  >_<
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:17:10 PM by alaskaallie »

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 06:36:16 AM »
My Gremma had a massive doll collection. She had 2 doll rooms that were so packed you could barely move in them.

My mom has a few small collections. Bitty Baby, Vogue Ginny, cat figurines, and Snow Babies.

Other than that I think it's just my aunt and one of my cousins who collect anything and everything related to animated Disney movies/characters.

Oh my Nana used to collect Celtic knots. That was a pretty awesome collection to look at :D I have a few pieces of it now.

I'm not sure which side of the line my aunt and uncle are on for collector vs hoarder but they have a ton of antique tools, toys and other things. I haven't seen most of their collection. I do know it has a lot of "I'll fix this stuff one day" type things in there though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal