collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Favorite Brand of Acrylic Paint?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline LittleKirara

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Professional Weasel Whisperer
    • View Profile
Favorite Brand of Acrylic Paint?
« on: September 15, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »
Hello fellow pony customizers :art:

I've recently really gotten back into making customs after taking a 2 year break due to health problems. Anyways I was noticing my acrylic paint collection was getting a little long in the tooth so to speak and have decided to invest in some high quality paint. Now of course there are a million different articles and videos about paint brands but the vast majority of them talk about acrylic paint in terms of painting on paper or canvas, not plastic ponies :P.

Anyways, so I thought I would make this post to ask what brands you all prefer as well any brands you don't like. Price isn't really a factor as long as its not like 500 dollars per tube or anything silly like that ^.^

Online links/videos are appreciated as well. :biggrin: :deathhug:
   :heart:.:AQHA For Life:.:heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Brand of Acrylic Paint?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »
I like Liquitex and Vallejo for my "super srs artist" paints, but I like FolkArt the best of all my "craft" paints.  Americana and CeramCoat are pretty good too.  Those three have a higher pigment ratio than Craft Smart or Apple Barrel. 

Offline LittleKirara

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 04:16:53 PM »
I like Liquitex and Vallejo for my "super srs artist" paints, but I like FolkArt the best of all my "craft" paints.  Americana and CeramCoat are pretty good too.  Those three have a higher pigment ratio than Craft Smart or Apple Barrel. 

I have tried and like Liquitex basics, so I have decided to try and order some heavy body and soft body professional Liquitex to see if the extra price is worth is. I will always have some FolkArt in my collection, I rather like their metallic and glitter lines. However I do find that sometimes with FolkArt I have to put many many layers to achieve the pigment I want and sometimes it doesn't mix too well.

The other student quality paint I have that I like is called MasterStudios and it has a nicer viscosity and pigment that is closer to professional artist quality levels than others.

I am also thinking about prying open my wallet to try Golden as everyone in the Acrylic community raves about its quality.

I know there are some paints that are made for Warhammer figures but it seems like they are very pricey and you only get a tiny little pot with limited color selection. Golden may be pricey but at least you a decent tube of it for the price and they have many colors.

The final paint I have been eyeing is Holbein. They are a Japanese brand that also make other artist supplies like color pencils; they are known for their excellent quality and while I have not tried any of their other products (nor have I found many reviews about their paints) I really adore their pencils.

However I feel that after everything is said in done I will have already spent so much money and will have so much paint that it will be hard to convince myself to buy more  :angel:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 05:33:23 AM »
Citadel, Army Painter, Scale 75 and Vallejo :) I do have some other paints, but they are craft paints, Anita's Acrylic, a set of metallics and other oddities.

Army Painter is what I like best and they have a good range of colours, including pastels and brights. They also go through an airbrush well when thinned in the correct manner. You get a little more for your money compared to Citadel and the dropper bottle means less paint wastage.

The paints might be in small bottles, but they do go a long way. To give you an idea, I've only just replaced the red citadel paint I've had for over 10 years! I hardly ever use paint straight from the bottle, I usually have to mix the colour I want, but I also always thin my paint down.

There is no real right or wrong paint, everyone's preferred paint is different due to their style of painting. My friend loves Liquitex paints and sent me a set to try, I personally don't get on with them. That's nothing to do with the paint, it's just my preference :)

Get what you feel is right for you and what you like :) why not try just picking colours you like the look of from a few different brands :) that's what I do ;)

Love pkw xxxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline LittleKirara

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 05:55:04 AM »
Army Painter is what I like best and they have a good range of colours, including pastels and brights. They also go through an airbrush well when thinned in the correct manner. You get a little more for your money compared to Citadel and the dropper bottle means less paint wastage.

Hmm definitely glad you told me about that one. Another figure paint, but this one seems to have far more colors (the other ones really seem to like their horror and monster colors :P ) far larger pots and a decent price. Their master paint set for 125$ includes a HUGE selection of colors and some other goodies, might be one worth trying. They also seem to have some interesting brush sets. If I don't end up buying Golden (especially since buying a lot of 50 different colors from Golden is like 300$  >_< ) I think I will try this brand. :biggrin:

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »
I don't have any Golden paints but if their acrylic performs as well as their gel medium does, I'm sold!  :D

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:22:49 AM »

Hmm definitely glad you told me about that one. Another figure paint, but this one seems to have far more colors (the other ones really seem to like their horror and monster colors :P ) far larger pots and a decent price. Their master paint set for 125$ includes a HUGE selection of colors and some other goodies, might be one worth trying. They also seem to have some interesting brush sets. If I don't end up buying Golden (especially since buying a lot of 50 different colors from Golden is like 300$  >_< ) I think I will try this brand. :biggrin:

Hahaha yes I know what you been quite a few have a lot of mucky colours, Bubonic Brown, Vomit Brown, Vermin Brown :lol: You want more Fantasy Colours ;)

Windsor and Newton Series 7 brushes and masters brush cleaning soap :heart: My boyfriend bought me a Windsor and Newton brush and I haven't picked up any other brush since!

The Army Painter tool sets are good, I have a few of the different tools (sculpting tools, mini files and drill) and found them to be well made and good value.

I don't have the Army Painter paint set, I tend to pick up paints as I go along depending on what colours I need for a project. The set is good value though if you want a whole range of colours :)

Skeen I've heard a lot of good things about the Golden metallic paints, but I've not looked into them at all.

Love pkw xxx

Online Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »
I love the Army Painter brushes, by the way! Their "Insane Detail" and "Psycho" brushes are what I use for tiny details. :heart:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 11:12:38 AM »
I love the Army Painter brushes, by the way! Their "Insane Detail" and "Psycho" brushes are what I use for tiny details. :heart:

That's good to know!

For years and years I've used super cheap brushes from the discount book shops art section :P

Love pkw xxx

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »
masters brush cleaning soap :heart:

YAAAAASSSSSSSS OMG this stuff is a lifesaver!  Cannot tell you how many times I have put a brush in water, forgot what I was doing and wandered off, only to find the brush all bent out of shape when I come back.  Not only does this stuff clean (and I mean CLEAN) your brushes, you can use it to reshape them.  And I'm still using the original cake of it I bought in 2002!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 06:49:54 AM »
I only discovered it a few months ago and it's worth every penny! I always take time to clean my brushes after I've used them now :)

I love the smell too :)

Love pkw xxx

Offline LittleKirara

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 11:08:52 AM »
SO I whipped out my Heavy Body "Professional" Liquitex to actually try on a pony and.... if all your doing is painting plastic ponies then stay away  :huh: Didn't seem to matter what medium I added or how much water or 5000000 layers later it just looks chalky. >_< The pigment is lovely but it just likes to magnify each brush stroke.

That being said if you are looking for something to up your painting game on canvas then they are 100% worth the high sticker price. Drastic difference between the "basic" line and the "professional" line. The paint is STUNNING on actual canvas.

So I am planning my next paint to test and I really am leaning towards the Army Painter, because it IS made for plastic.

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »
Thanks for making this thread! I've been looking to upgrade my ancient palette of acrylics, so it was great to see that this topic existed.

Has anyone used Testors on ponies? A local store carries them and while I know that they're great for model planes, I'm not sure how well they'll stick to ponies.
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 11:11:02 AM »
Great thread!

I use sable artist brushes (e.g. Winsor + Newton) for larger paint areas and I buy the cheap nail-art brushes for tiny detail work - Ebay China sell them for under £2 for a whole set, free postage.

Currently have a mish-mash collection of differing quality acrylics - but have to say that DoCraft's metallic ones (similar bottles to Folk Art paint) paint really nicely when touching-up symbols, e.g. Moondancer's dark pink stars.

Offline Mahna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »
Coming from a wargaming background I used to work primarily in Citadel and Vallejo paints. Threads like this are a godsend as I still mostly paint wargaming figures but I am always on the look out for other painting options to stretch my budget as far as I can.

That said I like going to the hardware store and getting paints there sometimes. I rather like the Krylon colourmasters spray paint as it is a pigment and primer spray with good detail retention, I use it if they have a colour I want from time to time. It is really good if you do a lot of sculpting to a pony or figure as it helps seal the surface for painting.

I know Citadel paints tend to be pricey but if you find a store that carries the entire range of colours they actually have quite a large range and their base/shade/layer/dry/technical system actually works really well if you use in the proper order.

I've also been playing with Super Black 2.0, which sadly is just a really good and inexpensive black paint but it does hold detail very well and even though it can wear fast if handled without sealer sticks to plastic without needing a primer coat like some paints.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal