Creativity > Customs

Favorite Brand of Acrylic Paint?

(1/4) > >>

LittleKirara:
Hello fellow pony customizers :art:

I've recently really gotten back into making customs after taking a 2 year break due to health problems. Anyways I was noticing my acrylic paint collection was getting a little long in the tooth so to speak and have decided to invest in some high quality paint. Now of course there are a million different articles and videos about paint brands but the vast majority of them talk about acrylic paint in terms of painting on paper or canvas, not plastic ponies :P.

Anyways, so I thought I would make this post to ask what brands you all prefer as well any brands you don't like. Price isn't really a factor as long as its not like 500 dollars per tube or anything silly like that ^.^

Online links/videos are appreciated as well. :biggrin: :deathhug:

Skeen:
I like Liquitex and Vallejo for my "super srs artist" paints, but I like FolkArt the best of all my "craft" paints.  Americana and CeramCoat are pretty good too.  Those three have a higher pigment ratio than Craft Smart or Apple Barrel. 

LittleKirara:

--- Quote from: Skeen on September 18, 2017, 12:16:42 PM ---I like Liquitex and Vallejo for my "super srs artist" paints, but I like FolkArt the best of all my "craft" paints.  Americana and CeramCoat are pretty good too.  Those three have a higher pigment ratio than Craft Smart or Apple Barrel. 

--- End quote ---

I have tried and like Liquitex basics, so I have decided to try and order some heavy body and soft body professional Liquitex to see if the extra price is worth is. I will always have some FolkArt in my collection, I rather like their metallic and glitter lines. However I do find that sometimes with FolkArt I have to put many many layers to achieve the pigment I want and sometimes it doesn't mix too well.

The other student quality paint I have that I like is called MasterStudios and it has a nicer viscosity and pigment that is closer to professional artist quality levels than others.

I am also thinking about prying open my wallet to try Golden as everyone in the Acrylic community raves about its quality.

I know there are some paints that are made for Warhammer figures but it seems like they are very pricey and you only get a tiny little pot with limited color selection. Golden may be pricey but at least you a decent tube of it for the price and they have many colors.

The final paint I have been eyeing is Holbein. They are a Japanese brand that also make other artist supplies like color pencils; they are known for their excellent quality and while I have not tried any of their other products (nor have I found many reviews about their paints) I really adore their pencils.

However I feel that after everything is said in done I will have already spent so much money and will have so much paint that it will be hard to convince myself to buy more  :angel:

pinkkittywinks:
Citadel, Army Painter, Scale 75 and Vallejo :) I do have some other paints, but they are craft paints, Anita's Acrylic, a set of metallics and other oddities.

Army Painter is what I like best and they have a good range of colours, including pastels and brights. They also go through an airbrush well when thinned in the correct manner. You get a little more for your money compared to Citadel and the dropper bottle means less paint wastage.

The paints might be in small bottles, but they do go a long way. To give you an idea, I've only just replaced the red citadel paint I've had for over 10 years! I hardly ever use paint straight from the bottle, I usually have to mix the colour I want, but I also always thin my paint down.

There is no real right or wrong paint, everyone's preferred paint is different due to their style of painting. My friend loves Liquitex paints and sent me a set to try, I personally don't get on with them. That's nothing to do with the paint, it's just my preference :)

Get what you feel is right for you and what you like :) why not try just picking colours you like the look of from a few different brands :) that's what I do ;)

Love pkw xxxx

LittleKirara:

--- Quote from: pinkkittywinks on September 19, 2017, 05:33:23 AM ---Army Painter is what I like best and they have a good range of colours, including pastels and brights. They also go through an airbrush well when thinned in the correct manner. You get a little more for your money compared to Citadel and the dropper bottle means less paint wastage.

--- End quote ---

Hmm definitely glad you told me about that one. Another figure paint, but this one seems to have far more colors (the other ones really seem to like their horror and monster colors :P ) far larger pots and a decent price. Their master paint set for 125$ includes a HUGE selection of colors and some other goodies, might be one worth trying. They also seem to have some interesting brush sets. If I don't end up buying Golden (especially since buying a lot of 50 different colors from Golden is like 300$  >_< ) I think I will try this brand. :biggrin:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version