collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Graphic tablet noob - need help calibrating  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Graphic tablet noob - need help calibrating
« on: September 15, 2017, 11:54:58 AM »
I have a new graphic tablet that I really like, except that my cursor is always way to the left of where I want to be.  If I want to start drawing in the middle of my "paper" I have to position the pen all the way over on the right hand side of the tablet.  I have checked the tablet and monitor settings to make sure they're set to the same resolution and I always set my new projects to the same size.  Problem is in GIMP and PaintToolsSai. 

As an aside, what is your favorite program?  I just need something simple, not anything fancypants like PS.  I really just draw goofy comics of my cats anymore, lol.

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
Re: Graphic tablet noob - need help calibrating
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
does your tablet have a configuration tool itself? I know at sometimes I've had to do that with mine, but  I use Sai and Photoshop as my go to doodles never had good experience with gimp

also what model tablet do you have? I'm familiar with Wacom brands
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:22:14 PM »
I can recommend FireAlpaca as a drawing program! It's free, and I really like the pen tool, very smooth and nowhere near as janky as Photoshop's ;)
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 10:44:08 PM »
It sounds like you have it set to "pen mode" which will put your cursor in a set spot on your screen specifically where the stylus touches the surface of the tablet.

"mouse mode" will give you more freedom to pick up and move around without being rubberbanded back to the tablet vs. screen area (im terrible at explaining things im sorry xD) 
I know this can be changed in wacom settings very easily. (have used many different wacom talets)
however if youre  using a Huion it might be a bit more difficult, I only have unrestricted drawing in certain programs, and I have very little experience with this brand, though aside from that one lil issue, I am enjoying this tablet (Huion Giano WH1409)

As far as programs, I mainly use SAI, its inexpensive and easy to get out of it what I want, I usually have to finish a drawing on PS as I add different affects not offered by SAI, but for the price, I'm not complaining.

edit:
I think SAI actually has its own dedicated tablet settings as well, You might want to check into that? its been a long time since I've needed to fiddle with them, so I cant be sure!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:45:51 PM by True »
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 05:30:10 PM »
It sounds like you have it set to "pen mode" which will put your cursor in a set spot on your screen specifically where the stylus touches the surface of the tablet.

"mouse mode" will give you more freedom to pick up and move around without being rubberbanded back to the tablet vs. screen area (im terrible at explaining things im sorry xD) 
I know this can be changed in wacom settings very easily. (have used many different wacom talets)
however if youre  using a Huion it might be a bit more difficult, I only have unrestricted drawing in certain programs, and I have very little experience with this brand, though aside from that one lil issue, I am enjoying this tablet (Huion Giano WH1409)

As far as programs, I mainly use SAI, its inexpensive and easy to get out of it what I want, I usually have to finish a drawing on PS as I add different affects not offered by SAI, but for the price, I'm not complaining.

edit:
I think SAI actually has its own dedicated tablet settings as well, You might want to check into that? its been a long time since I've needed to fiddle with them, so I cant be sure!

I actually recommend pen mode, as mouse mode doesn't give you the accuracy once the tablet's properly set up and the cursor won't be where you're pointing your pen at. i just checked my settings  popped it to mouse and .. yeah its doing what you're describing
https://gyazo.com/b2402b6247a50af2135f20701c24c3d4

this is the mapping I have on mine
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »
I have a Ugee HK1560 and it does really well when I figure out where my cursor is! 

I think my problem is my drawing area on the monitor isn't the same size/ratio as the area on my tablet, due to the various menus and things along the left side.  I'll need to adjust one or the other to get them to line up better.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal