collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Peter Pan Book, Which One Is The Original Story, Or Other Recommendations...  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
So, I'm a fan of Peter Pan and especially Tinker Bell.  I've read the original story was a play.  I've also read the original story was much darker in that Peter died as a human child and his mother imagined him as a boy but living in a world called Neverland and he never grows up so he doesn't die, etc.  I've read the actual story is much darker and not meant for children.

I've never read any Peter Pan books but I want to read something outside of what we all know, Neverland,
 Captain Hook, the Lost Boys, etc.

Any advice or recommendations is/are appreciated.

Thanks.

~Majesty

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
The concept of Peter Pan does get a little morbid with dead children, yes, but that was a fact of life in the Victorian era.  If you want REALLY dark children's literature of the time, try Pinocchio :)  Morbid fiction was a real warning to people in world where sanitation was primitive.

PP was a snippet of mention in a stage play, then Mr. Barrie elaborated the character more with a second play featuring Wendy and Peter and the Lost Boys.  Hook was actually added later as a theatrical necessity ;) and then the traditional stage version that most of us all have seen was produced.  This was reformed into the novel we all know as the classic - published in 1928 but having been performed since 1911. 

My favorite spin-off of the PP universe is the series that Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson wrote, Peter and the Starcatchers.  There are 4 books in the series : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_and_the_Starcatchers

The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I was also going to recommend Peter and the Starcatchers.  I've read and enjoyed those books. 

I also recommend Capt. Hook: The Life and Times of a Notorious Youth by James Hart.  It's about James Hook before he became a pirate and how he met Smee at boarding school.

I've also heard of a book called Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean.  I haven't read it, so I don't know how it measures up but it's supposed to be a sequel to Peter Pan.

There are two other series that I'm aware of but haven't read.  One is Wendy Darling by Colleen Oakes and the other is The Neverland Wars by Audrey Greathouse.  I haven't read them yet but they look like they'll be interesting.  And one more that cropped up while I was looking up those titles is called Never Never by Brianna Shrum.

And then there are always the Disney Fairy books by Gail Carson Levine.  They're about Tinkerbell and the other Never Fairies.

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
OOOH, I love Peter and the Starcatchers! The Disney Fairy Books are good too! Very beautifully illustrated.

But the original story by J.M. Barrie is actually quite grim..... For instance, in the original, Peter is the only boy that doesn't age.... whenever a Lost Boy gets too old, Peter "thins them out". He takes them away and kills them! He also didn't originally live in Never Land... he was a wild child in Kensington Gardens. He also was unable to remember much of anything he'd done or learned.... he forgot everything in order to stay young. But, such was the way of Victorian times.... they were a bit more macabre.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
It is speculated that the reason why elements of drowning and death are so common in PP is because many members of Mr. Barrie's family died by drowning or other early tragic accidents.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I seem to remember book Tinker Bell being a really minor character and that she had died ages before Peter returned to grown-up Wendy, but that it was such a non-event that it only warranted a brief mention. 

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Wow, it is so interesting to hear above the real stories behind Disney fairytales. It seems that most have much darker stories than anyone would imagine for something Disney would do. I don't know how many times I have heard people in shock of the true stories. I certainly didn't know all this about Peter Pan. I always thought the well known play version was the original start of PP. Makes Once Upon a Time look like child's play.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
I liked "Peter Pan and Wendy" the book that the Disney cartoon and various plays were often based on-  I didn't find it dark. It seemed to be written for children.

I don't remember reading that Peter killed off the lost boys- so I went and looked that part up-  the book does indeed say:

The boys on the island vary, of course, in numbers, according as they get killed and so on; and when they seem to be growing up, which is against the rules, Peter thins them out; but at this time there were six of them, counting the twins as two.

I think I must have missed that reading the book- but it isn't really explained what he means by "thinning" the boys out- maybe he just takes them back to the real world?  Guess I never thought about it.

Post Merge: September 14, 2017, 12:18:01 PM

Okay- did some more searching (instead of working of course) haha- and I don't think Peter killed off the lost boys when they got too old- and I'm not so sure the lost boys died either-  the book just says they are the boys who sneaked away from their nurses or fell out of their prams-

According to Berrie's original works-each of the lost boys referenced in Peter & Wendy grew up and became things like judges/worked in an office...  not sure if this is accurate, but it makes more sense than Peter killing them off to me... and if they could grow up, it means they never died right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Boys_(Peter_Pan)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:18:01 PM by Galactica »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
MOST fairytales are actually pretty macabre... 

Snow White: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm053.html

"Then they put a pair of iron shoes into burning coals. They were brought forth with tongs and placed before her. She was forced to step into the red-hot shoes and dance until she fell down dead."
The Bad Trader List

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
I wanted to read the version that's more darker.  On amazon I see several versions by Berrie.
Was it just the Peter Pan story that was darker.  I heard about someone being a pedophile and kids being killed and all that.  Is that from the original Peter Pan book or is that from Peter and Wendy or Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens?

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Pan Book, Which One Is The Original Story, Or Other Recommendations...
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 03:21:40 PM »
Disney often takes out the darker elements from the original story for their movies. 

In the original little mermaid story by Hans Christian Anderson the sea witch doesn't just take the little mermaid's voice she

Spoiler
cuts the mermaid's tongue out and the little mermaid feels pain like knives every time she walks. The transformation into a human is also painful. 

Also, the only way she can live after the prince marries someone else is to kill the prince while he sleeps.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:43:11 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Pan Book, Which One Is The Original Story, Or Other Recommendations...
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
All the original stories are pretty morbid. Even the Grimm tales available now are pretty sanitized!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »
So I can get any of the books which are titled "Peter Pan" and it'll have a grim story?  I mean by that author GM Berrie or JM not sure which one but I see many different versions and I don't want one that's pretty much the same story as the Disney version.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »

"Then they put a pair of iron shoes into burning coals. They were brought forth with tongs and placed before her. She was forced to step into the red-hot shoes and dance until she fell down dead."

Just as bad in my opinion, is that the Prince fell in love with Snow White in her coffin- believing her to be at that time a DEAD CHILD not much more than the age of 7 or 8 ??

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 04:19:29 PM »

Just as bad in my opinion, is that the Prince fell in love with Snow White in her coffin- believing her to be at that time a DEAD CHILD not much more than the age of 7 or 8 ??
What?! A necrophiliac pedophile?! :shocked: That's quite disturbing.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal