collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need pointers on organizing and selling ponies  (Read 468 times)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
Need pointers on organizing and selling ponies
« on: September 16, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
Right now I am only in the mental stages of selling off a large part of my g1 collection.  In other words, I have mentally prepared my hoarding mentality that many of the ponies in my collection should really be re-homed.  I have a few hundreds ponies and accessories in bins that I need to go through.  The condition and level of cleaning each pony needs varies from a light brushing to "What mlp is that, I can not quite make it out?  Are you sure that's a mlp?"  Combs, brushes, and ribbons have not been identified and probably not worth the effort on my part to do so.  I have witnessed on fb the struggle the accessory experts have, and frankly, I found it quite intimidating  :shocked: 

So imagine yourself surrounded by absolute g1 pony chaos; what would be your order of steps to organize for sales?

Any help appreciated.  Thank you 

Thanks!!
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Need pointers on organizing and selling ponies
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 02:03:38 PM »
I'm actually going through my G3s right now.  What I did was I pulled out ALL the ponies.  I started by dividing by color (pink, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, white) and then went through each color and put them in piles of the same pony (all of Rainbow Dash together, all of Cheerilee together, etc.)  Then I looked at each small pile and decided a) do I want any of these?  b) if so, which ONE.  Then I boxed up everything that was left over in boxes labeled "to be sold" so that I know I've already gone through them and made my decision. The G3s I'm keeping is down under 20 (and I started somewhere around 300).  I just have to find time to take pictures and post a sales thread now.  I've decided that the condition they're in is the condition the buyer gets it in.  They can clean it up to their liking.  Of course, since my goal in getting rid of the ponies is to get rid of them, they'll be cheap so I don't feel bad making them clean it up.

If you're planning to match up the accessories with the ponies (most of mine came from thrift to begin with so I don't have the accessories) then you might want to ID the accessories first and then find the ponies to match up. The other option is to list the accessories as separates, in a lot or as several lots (brushes, ribbons, pony wear, etc.) and let whoever buys them figure it out.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Need pointers on organizing and selling ponies
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:47:58 AM »
I'm only selling doubles, but the way I do it and have always done it is to get every pony washed and dried, groomed and photographed extensively. Then do a description of each. If you have a lot of ponies to sell it might be worth giving them all tags with numbers as well, this can be useful if you have lots of the same pony.

I have posted images here but the Arena threads do explode if you try to post too many images. I'm actually in the process of putting all my doubles up on a website space on my server so that they're easier for people to see without implosions. BUT I also have very limited time periods in which I can sell at the moment, so that's another thought behind this.

Your other option and maybe the simplest might be to clean them up and get them prepared and then take them to whatever event replaces the pony fair next year. That way people can see the condition in person and there's no shipping involved. The cleaning and grooming would still apply though.

I wanted to take my doubles to ponycon, as I've identified about 100 of them, but unfortunately not possible this year...if I still have this many next year, though, and the venue is easier to get to, that would be my best case scenario.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal