collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Suspicious eBay Buyer - How to handle?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Suspicious eBay Buyer - How to handle?
« on: September 13, 2017, 12:01:06 PM »
I don't sell on eBay a lot but I have recently started clearing out my home and letting go of a lot of things.  Everything has been going well but today someone BIN'd an MIB item for $49.99.  I had priced it to sell quick and a few people made some lower offers that I declined, and overall I was happy that it sold, but the buyer is raising some red flags in my mind.

First off, the user name is strange (haka.us.vgubuxlcfa), created today, and has 0 feedback.  She did already pay but to be really honest I fear a Paypal charge back coming my way if I follow through with this transaction, and want to refund the money and cancel the transaction.  I never said I wouldn't sell to 0 feedback members though so is it within my right to do this?  Am I being too suspicious? How would you handle this?

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Suspicious eBay Buyer - How to handle?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »
Apart from the payment, have you communicated with them?
Maybe send them an email and outline your concerns. "Hi, I notice you're a new user and just wanted to ensure that you are happy to proceed with the transaction". Something like that. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 04:19:15 PM »
Like Loa said get it in writing they want to proceed and send with signature confirmation required so if they do a charge back you can show they got it. And verify the address in writing to compare what is in Paypal.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:45:12 PM »
I'd be wary too.  I agree with communicating with them and trying to suss out if they're a "real" eBayer.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »
Thanks guys!  I did send them a message and made clear I was doing everything on my end to protect myself as a seller, including signature confirmation.  I haven't heard anything back, but after doing some more research I think I have covered my bases as much as possible.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:31:06 AM »
You can only hope that they created the account just to buy your item. Just cover your butt as much as you can, I guess!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 07:49:48 AM »
Always good to think ahead in case of potential issues and cover your bases! I can tell you though that I have had many buyers with strange usernames like that, 0 feedbacks with new accounts and have only ever had a problem with one of them. I'm not 100% sure but I think maybe eBay auto-generates some of those usernames if the buyer is checking out as a guest as opposed to having a full fledged account. I notice those weird usernames a lot with new buyers lately.

(If you're curious, you can see info about checking out as a guest here: http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/buying-as-guest.html)

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:01:51 PM »
Honestly, you can probably relax a little more about this.  eBay a few years ago, allowed people to check out as a guest and pay with a credit card.  The buyer might never have even gotten your message.  To him or her, this would be the same as buying something from some random online site.  As for a chargeback, this is possible regardless of a new or well-seasoned buyer.  As long as you follow eBay's rules, you will be covered.  eBay does not play games anymore when it comes to fraudulent buyers, and it is becoming more difficult than ever to just dispute a charge and get your money back without the card company doing some serious research.

Oops!  I just now see that flying narwhal beat me to the punch.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 03:57:15 AM »
I cant add anything to the great advice already given by everyone else (thanks peeps!! :bigups:  :lovey:  ) . Sounds like you already covered all your bases if it does turn out to be a dodgy buyer and you will be protected by ebay. There are some odd named ebay members out there and plenty newbies but most of them that I've sold to (and I;ve been selling for years, as have other people who answered you here ) have been fine without any issues. Hopefully everything will go smoothly from here on, but you were right to check what you needed to do if anyone makes you feel suspicious or uncomfortable  :) :awake:   :hug:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »
I certainly understand your discomfort-  hope it works out okay and that as someone suggested, the buyer checked out as a guest ? (I had no idea people could do that now)

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 12:57:55 PM »
eBay a few years ago, allowed people to check out as a guest and pay with a credit card.  The buyer might never have even gotten your message.  To him or her, this would be the same as buying something from some random online site.

This is good to know, thank you!  That actually makes a lot of sense and I had no idea eBay added that option. 

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »
Yea ebay does have that option and so does Etsy.  I have accidentally bought from sellers not being signed in.  So, I wrote them and let them know who I was. We had to do a little prove it thing, but after I did that they were satisfied.  Once I was harassed by an ebay buyer and I finally had to close my long time huge account to get away from them.  I started buying again on zero.  I was a serious bidder, but I am pretty good at communicating with people too.  Some are not.  You are doing all you can.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal