collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread  (Read 30118 times)

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
Re: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread
« Reply #255 on: January 11, 2018, 01:09:07 PM »
Well I went to two Wal-Mart's in the Salem OR area and not only did they not have the water bottle but they didn't even have the blu ray by itself. Only DVDs and digital codes. Stock was very limited too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 11, 2018, 05:07:43 PM »
I’m sorry you didn’t get the water bottle StarDapple. The Walmart where I bought my copy only had the Blu ray combo pack packaged with the water bottle and DVDs. They didn’t have the Blu ray on its own either.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2018, 06:56:36 AM »
There's concept art of the Storm King and whatnot from Jose Lopez on EqD.

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2018, 08:18:55 PM »
Here's a pic of the Walmart Blu ray/DVD combo pack and water bottle set.

Ponyfan
How cool! Does anyone know if Canada has the water bottle combo too?
And does anyone have a pic of Target's exclusive DVD set with stickers and an activity book?
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 13, 2018, 10:02:18 AM »
I was going to take a pic of the Target version but they were sold out. There was only one MLP the Movie DVD left on the shelf.

Ponyfan

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
Awwww. But I'm glad they're selling out!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »
Just got my copy in the mail today. Nice and shiny.
Feels good to actually hold an officially bought piece of MLP:FiM media.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2018, 01:09:35 AM »
I just finished the movie and now I can read this read without being spoiled.
My thoughts:

Spoiler

I really enjoyed the movie and the animation looked a lot better than the usual FIM episode.
I'm glad I read the comic prequel before seeing the movie as it helped to have some backstory on Capper and the bird pirates. My suspicions about Capper trying to trick the ponies from that line in "I'm the Friend That You Need"  "Tell Verko...I have something that will magically erase all my debt" turned out to be correct. Even with that I ended up really liking Capper and how realized he was wrong and then tried to help the ponies afterwards by telling Tempest they went another way. 

I loved the seaponies and wish we had seen more of them.  I was really surprised Twilight tried to steal the pearl from them and even more surprised that Twilight called Pinkie a useless friend especially after everything they've gone through to save Equestria together.

I also loved Tempest and her character development. I was a little surprised that her horn wasn't fixed by either Twilight or Luna or Celestia. 

A few other things that surprised me

Why didn't Twilight think of making the air bubbles unless it was because they were pulled under so quickly that by the time she realized they were drowning she didn't have time to make them?

When Twilight is brought back to Canterlot in the cage to drain her magic the ponies pulling the cart are muzzled. Is this the first time we've seen muzzled used in FIM?

Ponyfan

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #263 on: January 14, 2018, 10:28:14 AM »
Spoiler
When I watched the movie the first time, I thought Twilight's attitude towards her friends came out of nowhere, but watching it a second time . . . it has a build-up that is present and surprisingly subtle for a kid's movie.

Basically, as they are running scared--her friends keep messing things up by acting like they're still in Equestria and not realizing how grim and dangerous the situation is. 

1. Pinkie Pie totally blows their cover in the mishmash town (sorry, I don't remember its name) where they meet Capper.  Twilight tells her that they need to be more subtle, but not in an angry fashion. Because Pinkie is her friend.

2. All the ponies completely fall for Capper's literal song and dance routine ( ;) ) except Twilight, who is eyeing him suspiciously the whole way through the song.  Still, she goes along with the rest of the group.  Because they are her friends.

3.  They are on the pirate ship, they've allied themselves with the pirates, and things are finally looking up.  Then Rainbow Dash gets over-excited and performs a Sonic Rainboom that leads the bad guys RIGHT TO THEM.

4. Twilight also ends up literally saving everyone (well except the pegasi ;) ) after they fall out of the airship, by using a plan she concocted ON HER OWN to build a makeshift balloon, using only HER OWN magic.

So from Twilight's perspective--she loves her friends, but on this escapade her friends have continually messed up and endangered them, whereas a plan Twilight enacted by herself (the balloon) saved them.  So I think it's understandable that by the time she meets the sea ponies she's like, "Okay, fine, my friends can go off and dance and be happy.  I am going to Make The Hard Choices and Get Things Done."

I mean, it was still a bad decision, but I can understand how she got there, lol.

The argument with Pinkie Pie was exacerbated by Twilight having all these pent-up emotions about the previous debacles, due to biting her tongue earlier.

Of course this is traumatic for Pinkie Pie, because from her perspective Twilight is suddenly lying, stealing, and shouting hurtful things, plus Twilight has (ironically) completely screwed up their chances at getting the pearl.  I gotta be honest, I actually did shed some tears during that scene, it was really tense and really well done.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:30:50 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 14, 2018, 02:32:38 PM »
Spoiler

Now that I've thought about it I can see how Twilight felt she had no other choice at that point but to steal the pearl to try to save Equestria. Queen Novo had told Twilight point blank that she wouldn't allow her to take and use it to save Equestria  and Twilight saw the pearl as her only hope.

Twilight also had to be upset that everyone else completely trusted Capper despite her warnings which turned out to be true. At first I wondered why Twilight was so desperate to escape the pirate ship but then I realized that since they had just been betrayed by Capper ,Twilight didn't really know if she could trust the pirates or that they wouldn't give them to Tempest/survive the crash of the ship. 

Although I wasn’t  expecting the argument scene I agree that it was really well done.

I was also a little surprised that Songbird Serenade didn't have a bigger role considering all of the merch of her.

I'm going to download the other songs that I'm missing from the movie soundtrack (Only the ones that were in the movie) "Time to Be Awesome" and "Rainbow" I found I liked "Rainbow a lot better once I saw how it's used in the movie. I still love Tempest 's "Open Up Your Eyes"

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:39:59 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2018, 06:01:40 AM »
Spoiler
When I watched the movie the first time, I thought Twilight's attitude towards her friends came out of nowhere, but watching it a second time . . . it has a build-up that is present and surprisingly subtle for a kid's movie.

Basically, as they are running scared--her friends keep messing things up by acting like they're still in Equestria and not realizing how grim and dangerous the situation is. 

1. Pinkie Pie totally blows their cover in the mishmash town (sorry, I don't remember its name) where they meet Capper.  Twilight tells her that they need to be more subtle, but not in an angry fashion. Because Pinkie is her friend.

2. All the ponies completely fall for Capper's literal song and dance routine ( ;) ) except Twilight, who is eyeing him suspiciously the whole way through the song.  Still, she goes along with the rest of the group.  Because they are her friends.

3.  They are on the pirate ship, they've allied themselves with the pirates, and things are finally looking up.  Then Rainbow Dash gets over-excited and performs a Sonic Rainboom that leads the bad guys RIGHT TO THEM.

4. Twilight also ends up literally saving everyone (well except the pegasi ;) ) after they fall out of the airship, by using a plan she concocted ON HER OWN to build a makeshift balloon, using only HER OWN magic.

So from Twilight's perspective--she loves her friends, but on this escapade her friends have continually messed up and endangered them, whereas a plan Twilight enacted by herself (the balloon) saved them.  So I think it's understandable that by the time she meets the sea ponies she's like, "Okay, fine, my friends can go off and dance and be happy.  I am going to Make The Hard Choices and Get Things Done."

I mean, it was still a bad decision, but I can understand how she got there, lol.

The argument with Pinkie Pie was exacerbated by Twilight having all these pent-up emotions about the previous debacles, due to biting her tongue earlier.

Of course this is traumatic for Pinkie Pie, because from her perspective Twilight is suddenly lying, stealing, and shouting hurtful things, plus Twilight has (ironically) completely screwed up their chances at getting the pearl.  I gotta be honest, I actually did shed some tears during that scene, it was really tense and really well done.

I agree that it made sense for Twilight. It also nicely led into Tempest telling Twilight that she is better off alone. Without the previous incidents Twilight wouldn't have been able to fully understand Tempest's POV.
I really do think critics have been too harsh on this movie, both in and outside fandom.

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2018, 08:39:57 AM »
And does anyone have a pic of Target's exclusive DVD set with stickers and an activity book?

I can take & post pics of mine in a few hours. Honestly I was a bit underwhelmed but maybe I just need to remind myself that activity books for children arent made to occupy adults  :frolic:
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2018, 09:17:57 AM »
Just bought the Walmart version! Currently downloading the my digital copy on Vudu Go. Just made a Vudu account specifically for this since iTunes refuses to install on my laptop for some reason (I've tried installing it many times in the past and for some reason it just won't work).

2.2% downloaded so far! :lol:

Next week I'll buy the Target version! :)

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »

I can take & post pics of mine in a few hours. Honestly I was a bit underwhelmed but maybe I just need to remind myself that activity books for children arent made to occupy adults  :frolic:

That would be awesome, thank you!! :biggrin: Haha yes, I know what you mean - I found an activity book for movie fans and was expecting it to be for fans of all ages, or at least pose a bit of a challenge with the puzzles. Nope, it was totally geared towards young kids! :P
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:49 AM »
Spoiler

I agree that it made sense for Twilight. It also nicely led into Tempest telling Twilight that she is better off alone. Without the previous incidents Twilight wouldn't have been able to fully understand Tempest's POV.
I really do think critics have been too harsh on this movie, both in and outside fandom.

Great points Zapper. :) After reading LadyMoondancer’s posts and thinking about it, it makes sense. I really enjoyed the movie and also think some people are being too critical on minor things like.
Spoiler
The cages the ponies are trapped in in Canterlot. It’s made clear that Twilight can’t use magic to escape her cage so it makes sense that all the cages would not be able to be opened by magic  (only being able to be opened by the Storm King and Tempest ) and the Storm King could easily make the cages strong enough that the Earth ponies couldn’t use their strength to escape

I read the prequel book yesterday.

Spoiler
It shows the Storm King’s  creatures attack on the Hippogriff city on Mount Aris.  Now I understand why there's A Guardian of Harmony
Stratus Skyranger toy.
Ponyfan
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:36:05 AM by Ponyfan »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal