collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread  (Read 30302 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Re: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »
Pinkie, there are official comics about these characters. I'd recommend checking out the MLP Movie Prequel comics, you'll get to learn a lot about everyone!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »
Just came from watching the movie and I am positively surprised! But it was dubbed into Estonian and *inhales* THEY DIDN'T SING! THEY HAD ORIGINAL ENGLISH VERSION ON THE BACKGROUND AND HAD SOME MAN LITERALLY READ THE LYRICS ON IN ESTONIAN! OMFG I WAS SO OFFENDED!

Sorry for that xD I'm gonna buy the DVD in the future, would like to watch the original version, because this man just bluntly reading the lyrics ruined the songs for me.

:lmao:

That is pretty hilarious ngl.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2017, 05:17:20 PM »
I pointed out the issue with no Stratus, and someone in here mentioned that he appears in the books as one of Novo's guards.  :)

Spoiler
He does appear in the movie, actually. In seapony form. You can see him beside the Queen's throne when the Mane 6 arrive, and then he and three other guards surround them, before Skystar jumps in and explains. True he's a very small background figure, but he's definitely in at least two shots.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #198 on: October 15, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »
I saw it twice--once at night, once in the day as a matinee.  The night one was fun because the theater was almost empty (privacy) and the matinee was fun because I got to hear kids cheering, gasping, and laughing along with the movie.  Made me very happy for all the little MLP fans having this magical experience.  Some of them were losing their minds during the opening.  :)

The only thing I wish was it was longer!  I could tell someone on the corporate side had made them make it shorter than originally intended.

Spoiler
For example, there's a toy of a hippogriff named Stratus Skyranger and he's not even in the movie, like at all.  I would loooove to have seen more of the hippogriffs, sure wish they'd left him in!  Maybe he'll show up in the series though?

Is it too much to hope for an extended edition on BluRay someday?  LOL.

I bet they sliced and diced the CRAP out of the movie- they had to make it short because of the age of the primary target audience was probably on the young side...

i believe i read somewhere- in this thread i think, that they completely cut a whole section of the movie about the hippogriffs coming in at the end and making a big show of themselves. thats probably where status skyranger came in. too bad they cut it :' (
im still hoping for an extended cut via bluray LOL
Count my vote in too LOL. I just saw it and felt the hippogriffs could have had more screen time!

On a side note, I'm all for Shelly and Sheldon merch. :P

I had a dream they made Shelly and Sheldon toys.  If you wound them up, they chattered. :P
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
I saw it twice--once at night, once in the day as a matinee.  The night one was fun because the theater was almost empty (privacy) and the matinee was fun because I got to hear kids cheering, gasping, and laughing along with the movie.  Made me very happy for all the little MLP fans having this magical experience.  Some of them were losing their minds during the opening.  :)

The only thing I wish was it was longer!  I could tell someone on the corporate side had made them make it shorter than originally intended.

Spoiler
For example, there's a toy of a hippogriff named Stratus Skyranger and he's not even in the movie, like at all.  I would loooove to have seen more of the hippogriffs, sure wish they'd left him in!  Maybe he'll show up in the series though?

Is it too much to hope for an extended edition on BluRay someday?  LOL.

I bet they sliced and diced the CRAP out of the movie- they had to make it short because of the age of the primary target audience was probably on the young side...

i believe i read somewhere- in this thread i think, that they completely cut a whole section of the movie about the hippogriffs coming in at the end and making a big show of themselves. thats probably where status skyranger came in. too bad they cut it :' (
im still hoping for an extended cut via bluray LOL
Count my vote in too LOL. I just saw it and felt the hippogriffs could have had more screen time!

On a side note, I'm all for Shelly and Sheldon merch. :P

I had a dream they made Shelly and Sheldon toys.  If you wound them up, they chattered. :P
LOL! I would totally buy them! :P
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2017, 05:46:14 PM »
I might have to rent this when it comes out in red box.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
I went with my friend on Sunday to see the movie. Though we nearly missed it: found out on Friday that it is coming off circuit here this Thursday. And our original plan had been to go this Saturday afternoon. Oh well, I will just have to have a pony spa day instead.

Anyway, back to the thread topic: neither of us know anything about these characters, or their back story as we have previously had nothing to do with G4 being primarily G1 collectors. So we had no expectations whatsoever and perhaps because of this we both really enjoyed the movie. My favourite characters were Rainbow Dash and Tempest. My friend really liked Rainbow Dash and Rarity. So pleased we went  :)

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 22, 2017, 12:35:38 AM »
As a g1 collector, I do not know much about g4 canon (apart from hearing snippets of FiM that my kid watches on tv) so I went to the cinema with an open mind (and an excited, 5 year old daughter!)  ;)

My girl loved it and boasted to me that it wasn't scary (Zootropolis is her benchmark scary movie).

Lots of singing -
Spoiler
Only a limited bit of Sia at the start and then a nice Rainbow song at the end.
I recognised the tune from my Skystar shell during the seapony song sequence.
The other songs didn't grab me so much but, still, not bad for a company without mega Disney resources.

Tempest - I really liked her character! Brooding, calculated, controlled, precise. I have mentioned elsewhere that I find her very feline, she even stalks like a panther. Oh, her perfect eyeliner - gimme!

Storm King:
Spoiler
Too goofy, playing with the moon/sun/moon was silly enough, but all the chatter... I would have wanted for his character to be more reserved and intimidating.

Tempest's broken horn -
Spoiler
I was wondering if it would ever be restored - and part way through the movie I concluded that maybe it shouldn't as it would bring a positive message to a young audience in that it is her *negative character* that needs to be "fixed" and not just her physical looks - so I waited to see what happened at the end, with interest. Her horn still works, albeit with sparkly fireworks *cool*
Oh, Pinkie's reaction at the end, during Tempest's name reveal -  :lol:

Anyway, it was an ok movie - coming from someone who doesn't know much about g4.
I would put it in the same class as a Barbie movie - not quite Disney standard  ;) but still lots of fun and hugely enjoyed by my kid!  :thumb: I know that she will be requesting the DVD...

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2017, 07:37:51 AM »
Apparently, the Hasbro CEO is talking of the possibility of another MLP movie given how well the movie did and the enjoyment of using the new pony models.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 27, 2017, 05:56:20 AM »
but other than that the shoutout humor is actually for parents
Spoiler
(didn't expect Meatloaf lyrics; lol).
That shout out is not limited for parents, the target audience could have easily gotten it, as there is nothing stopping them knowing the song.  A lot of the shout outs seemed to be for "whoever", to be honest, which was the best way to do them in my opinion - they blended in well.

And yeah, saw it yesterday, and my reactions are mostly positive - I am so happy I got to see it at the cinema, and while there were the odd flaws, the good parts of the movie made up for them, in my opinion, and it was a very awesome experience.  Expect a YouTube review, when I can get one done (I hope to review something else before hand, though).
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #205 on: October 27, 2017, 07:57:06 AM »
Apparently, the Hasbro CEO is talking of the possibility of another MLP movie given how well the movie did and the enjoyment of using the new pony models.
Spoiler
I'm hoping they'll give Applejack and Fluttershy some more time as main characters, they were really thrown aside. :/
I've seen it once on opening day, and I'm going again tonight to see it with a less-involved ponyfriend.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #206 on: October 27, 2017, 08:05:04 AM »
Oh another movie would be really awesome^^

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 29, 2017, 04:12:35 PM »
Yay I've seen it!  :frolic:
Spoiler
For the most part I thought it was absolutely awesome. I am now completely Songbird Serenade obsessed  :P Pinkie is incredible, Tempest is just the dog's danglies. However I do feel like too much has been shoehorned in. Some of it just didn't make sense. But the shout-outs were great. Hungry Hungry Hippos!!!  :lol: Praying so hard that the DVD comes out in the UK before Xmas. I'm really looking forward to a sequel.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline LittleKirara

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Professional Weasel Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2017, 07:59:34 PM »
Yay I've seen it!  :frolic:
Spoiler
For the most part I thought it was absolutely awesome. I am now completely Songbird Serenade obsessed  :P Pinkie is incredible, Tempest is just the dog's danglies. However I do feel like too much has been shoehorned in. Some of it just didn't make sense. But the shout-outs were great. Hungry Hungry Hippos!!!  :lol: Praying so hard that the DVD comes out in the UK before Xmas. I'm really looking forward to a sequel.
Amazon has the DVD release date set as 16th of March 2018, while that might just be a place holder date I doubt we will see it come out before xmas.
   :heart:.:AQHA For Life:.:heart:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #209 on: November 05, 2017, 01:30:12 AM »
I actually liked it a lot. Didn't expect it so I was very happy when I left the theatre.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal