collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread  (Read 30320 times)

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
Re: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2017, 07:19:52 PM »
From what I've read/seen at the artbook so far (it's so nice - I highly recommend it!!), there were things that they wanted to show more of, but took it out because of reasons,

Spoiler
- they had some neat ideas for some of the worlds/areas the Mane 6 would be in before reaching [insert destination here], like a huge forest  and rivers where the Ponies look so small by comparison. Like a travel montage type of thing.
- the Hyppogriffs were supposed to have a much more bigger appearance at the end, such as them showing up during that "final battle", but that was removed.

And somewhat related: Apparently for Capper, he was actually an wealthy aristocrat, living the high life with pride and dignity, before the Storm King came and messed things up. At the end of the paragraph, the book says "Capper's crimes aren't driven by malice. At his core, he feels a deep insecurity at his fall from grace, and believe his appearance dictates his status".  Man, I wish they had mentioned this or implied it a bit more during the movie, although I kinda suspected it, going by a few decorations in his house...and the fancy little outfit Rarity makes him at the end of the film haha.

Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2017, 08:00:55 PM »
It's been confirmed the film takes place between S7 & S8, which explains why
Spoiler
A seapony character was revealed for season 8

and also why starlight decided to take a break from this adventure x' D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

wishlist

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 09, 2017, 09:07:51 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm excited about the UK release coming up in a couple of weeks, but I have a question:

- will this movie make sense if you've only seen Season 1 of FiM?  I want to go with my 2 children but we've only seen Season 1
- also how scary it is?  My youngest (age 5) found the start of Season 2 got a little too scary.  I would take her anyway but I would need to prepare her and also be ready to take her out for 5 mins if it got too intense.

THANKS!!

My daughter just turned five. She went to see it with her grandparents and older cousin. She said there were a few scary parts, but nothing too scary. And she likes to make things up, so there may not even be scary parts. Who knows? But she says she liked the movie.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #168 on: October 09, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »
I'm pretty sure I saw Discord in silhouette during the credits.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
I haven't seen the movie yet, but the theater at the mall had the poster out.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline BlueBelle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 09, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »
Just saw it and LOVED IT!!!!  :newpony: :sunny: :cheer:
SOOO worth going to see! Loved everything from the story to the characters, graphics, music..everything!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Now I’ve got some shopping to do! LOL  :biggrin:

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2017, 02:10:06 PM »
My husband and I saw it last night and it was so amazing and better yet, we had the theater all to ourselves while it was still opening weekend :3 I'm glad it was a school night and kids couldn't stay up for the 10:30 pm showing. It was just amazing. I love how they were able to make me feel like I was flying along with the pegasi in the opening scene without the need for 3D glasses. It was just a beautiful masterful work of art and I think I'll be watching it a million times.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 10, 2017, 07:03:32 AM »
The shoutouts are also kept to a minimum. We see Discord as a baloon animal and Muffin appears one time being a failure, but other than that the shoutout humor is actually for parents
Spoiler
(didn't expect Meatloaf lyrics; lol).

The mind boggles.

Spoiler
I'm a Meat Loaf fan and I....kind of can't think any lyrics that would be relevant to an MLP film.

Can't go to the cinema, so looking forward to a DVD release. In the meantime, I'm gleefully reading all the spoilers I can lay my hands on :)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 10, 2017, 07:09:46 AM »
The shoutouts are also kept to a minimum. We see Discord as a baloon animal and Muffin appears one time being a failure, but other than that the shoutout humor is actually for parents
Spoiler

The mind boggles.

Spoiler
I'm a Meat Loaf fan and I....kind of can't think any lyrics that would be relevant to an MLP film.

Spoiler
It's a pun on "Objects in the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are".
I laughed out loud but nobody else watching with me got it so I felt like a fool. It also has nothing to do with music :lol:

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 10, 2017, 07:57:04 PM »
I have a question:

- will this movie make sense if you've only seen Season 1 of FiM?

Spoiler
I just saw the movie and have to say I liked it a lot. Great animation and enjoyed the songs!

Spoiler
I do find it funny that no one seemed to noticed that Muffins tried to save Twilight before Rainbow Dash swooped in and saved the day. Not a fail in my book if you ask me XP

I really enjoyed Tempest, though I feel they could have done better with her background story. I feel it was too similar to Starlight Glimmer's. But I really enjoyed her song. She honestly should have been the villain rather than the storm king, hardly any screen time to get to know him.

I loved the merponies, though their hoof fins threw me off a little lol. Hope we get to see more them in the show though.

Plus Twilight gave me a surprise with her trying to steal the pearl, happy she didn't try to play by the book it was kinda nice to see, as odd as that sounds.

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #175 on: October 10, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »
I saw it twice--once at night, once in the day as a matinee.  The night one was fun because the theater was almost empty (privacy) and the matinee was fun because I got to hear kids cheering, gasping, and laughing along with the movie.  Made me very happy for all the little MLP fans having this magical experience.  Some of them were losing their minds during the opening.  :)

The only thing I wish was it was longer!  I could tell someone on the corporate side had made them make it shorter than originally intended.

Spoiler
For example, there's a toy of a hippogriff named Stratus Skyranger and he's not even in the movie, like at all.  I would loooove to have seen more of the hippogriffs, sure wish they'd left him in!  Maybe he'll show up in the series though?

Is it too much to hope for an extended edition on BluRay someday?  LOL.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:23:45 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2017, 08:33:14 PM »
I pointed out the issue with no Stratus, and someone in here mentioned that he appears in the books as one of Novo's guards.  :)
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2017, 02:31:58 AM »
I was looking at the gross totals adjusted for inflation.  The 2017 movie needs to make $4M more to catch up to the 1986 movie.  And I think it needs to make at least $6M this next weekend to have any staying power through the holiday season.  It's a good movie, but I think it still has a steep uphill climb to being more than a flash in the pan.  And I think it needs to be not just for MLP but 2D animation as well.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
I have a question:

- will this movie make sense if you've only seen Season 1 of FiM?

Spoiler
I just saw the movie and have to say I liked it a lot. Great animation and enjoyed the songs!

Spoiler
I do find it funny that no one seemed to noticed that Muffins tried to save Twilight before Rainbow Dash swooped in and saved the day. Not a fail in my book if you ask me XP

I really enjoyed Tempest, though I feel they could have done better with her background story. I feel it was too similar to Starlight Glimmer's. But I really enjoyed her song. She honestly should have been the villain rather than the storm king, hardly any screen time to get to know him.

I loved the merponies, though their hoof fins threw me off a little lol. Hope we get to see more them in the show though.

Plus Twilight gave me a surprise with her trying to steal the pearl, happy she didn't try to play by the book it was kinda nice to see, as odd as that sounds.

Sorry but imo that should have been Starlight trying to protect and not this overhyped running gag. This would have also nicely explained why she wasn't trying to help the M6.
I can always imagine Discord was on vacation in the Phantom Zone or whatever, but Starlight was clearly shown to be at the festival.

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2017, 04:14:47 PM »

I can always imagine Discord was on vacation in the Phantom Zone or whatever, but Starlight was clearly shown to be at the festival.

Spoiler
Discord was in it. At the end there's a shot of Vinyl and you can see his head at the bottom right of the screen as part of the blacked out crowd. (Edit: He also appears in the credits) Don't have a screenshot as the 2 places to get screenshots have bans on them (probably until the movie comes out on DVD).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:32:43 PM by lonewolf »

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal