collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread  (Read 29753 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »
*The movie is here! Please tread carefully if you are trying to avoid spoilers :)*

Hey folks! Now that the FIM subforum is gone it's time to start our integration into the corral. I think the best way to start is with the MLP Movie, which is only a few weeks away!!

Are you excited for the movie? Skeptical? Want to know what's going on but not sure if you'd like to go see it? Come share your thoughts!

I've personally dug up everyyyy little bit of info I could on the film since the very start. Before the end of the FIM Forum, the enitre plot had practically been uncovered! I will be adding spoilers to this thread, but I'll be keeping everything under spoiler tags. If you plan to discuss movie spoilers, please also keep them under spoiler tags for those who aren't interested!

Trailer #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIv_ConaZ1c
Trailer #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNcus0-z9AM
Official Site: http://www.mylittlepony.movie/

Tempest Shadow's name and origins
Spoiler
Tempest Shadow's real name is not Tempest, but Fizzlepop Berrytwist. Yes, you read that right, I'm not joking. I'm not 100% on if the name will be dropped in the film but I believe it's possible, this tidbit was found in one of the books.

As for her story, Tempest and her friends wanted to one day attend Celestia's school, the same one Twilight did. They were all promising students, but Tempest tripped running out of a cave trying to escape on of the Ursa's and tripped, breaking her horn. With a broken horn she couldn't perform magic properly anymore, it wasn't controlled well enough. As a result she couldn't join the school but her friends did without her. The scorn and betrayal are likely what turned her against Equestria. She sided with the Storm King under the belief that he would be able to fix her horn (this does not appear to ever happen).

The Seaponies
Spoiler
It's been hinted at for awhile, and with some toy reveals from Hascon and information from the movie site, we know for sure that the seaponies are not originally seaponies. These seaponies are actually Hippogriffs! According to the movie comics, the hippogriffs actually have their own continent. They were chased away when the Storm King came to take over, so Queen Novo hid herself and her citizens beneath the sea, safe from his influence. Celestia is the one who tells Twilight to find Queen Novo, but refers to her as "queen of the hippos".

The Series of Events
Spoiler
Not 100% confirmed, but from one of the books it appears that the events go:
Canterlot Celebration -> Tempest's Attack and capture of Canterlot -> The mane six travel to "Klugetown", an area in Equestria's badlands. This is where we see the windmill scene -> The ponies meet Capper here, and Capper intends to sell them for a reward -> The ponies are on the pirate ship next (likely from capture by Capper and sold the the Captain) -> The ponies fall into the sea after the ship is harpooned -> The ponies are rescued by Queen Novo who uses her peal to turn them into sea ponies -> Twilight is captured by Tempest -> The rest of the ponies go to her rescue -> The storm king is defeated -> Happy Friendship Celebration!

tl;dr
Festival > Canterlot Seige > Badlands > Pirates > Seaquestria > Storm King > Canterlot

Outside of Equestria
Spoiler
We know that the hippogriffs original home, seaquestria, and Capper's home are all different locations.  Capper's original home is called Abyssinia. It was also taken over by the Storm King.

Updated Map of Equestria:
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:50:06 AM by Bekuno »
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:19:43 PM »
I'm really excited for it! I'm hoping I'll be able to see it on release day. It's the day after one of my dad's paydays so I should be able to. I hope to get some of the special cups and whatnot they have at the theater.

Right now I'm really looking forward to seeing what Songbird Serenade and Princess Skystar are like. I love both their designs so much and want to get a lot of their merch, so I'm excited to see what they're like.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:24:08 PM »
Did you see Skystar in today's new trailer? She's so adorable!
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »
Did you see Skystar in today's new trailer? She's so adorable!

I haven't! I'll go look that up now!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 03:53:13 PM »
I'm pumped!  I love the themes that have been revealed so far, like

Spoiler
hippogriffs, sea ponies, and PIRATES!

I do feel a bit sad that I've seen so many spoilers, but it's inevitable since I follow toy news and see the toys.  (For what it's worth, the toys look cool, lol.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:32:05 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »
I wasn't too excited at first but I'm more excited now then I was. Im excited to see the seaponies and

Spoiler
that there might be a song. I also know they were Hippogriffs

I'm trying to avoid major movie spoilers but I've already got a few of the toys including Skystar and her musical shell, Tempest brushable and Tempest Build a Bear.

Tempest is intriguing and I want to know more about her.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »
I'm really exited! I might be going with my friend who is really into G4. I hope to get the special cups as well. I'm trying to avoid spoilers. I really want to see Skystar, I think she will be my favorite character :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 06:38:30 PM »
I still feel the movie is trying to shove too much in there.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 07:44:05 PM »
I'm looking forward to it.   I mean, I'm still trying to keep my expectations down because usually I only go to the theater for Disney and Pixar stuff and it would be unfair to expect that level of quality.  However, I do have a small group of coworkers who like ponies that are going to go see the movie with me on opening night.  And I totally want to get a couple of the concession souvenirs.  So for me, it is going to be an event!

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 02:49:31 AM »
I just watched the second trailer and I'm hyped, so I'm glad there's a new thread for discussion :D!
It was cool to hear Capper speak in the second trailer :)
Also, I'm really digging the animation style. The ponies look so fluid when they move!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 06:33:56 AM »
I've been avoiding trailers because they always end up giving away so much of the "good bits".  But I will watch them after I've already seen the movie, lol.

What's the air date?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 06:47:13 AM »
Opening night is October 6th.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 08:38:12 AM »
I just watched the second trailer and I'm hyped, so I'm glad there's a new thread for discussion :D!
Also, I'm really digging the animation style. The ponies look so fluid when they move!

Cappers voice felt really out of place to me, like it was just a little too deep to fit his character? I'm sure I'll feel different in the film but it threw me off

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 10:08:14 AM »
Something about the movie awakens a weird fascination in me. I guess it's simply the idea that the Mane Six (Mane Six? Who are these Mane Six? We Arenagoers know only of Starlight Glimmer!) basically spend the entire film not interacting with ponies. It adds a new, fresh tone that we have rarely seen before in the franchise - that of a vast world of various fantasy creatures beyond the ponies' dwellings (the G1 comics did hint at this, but never got to go that in-depth on it. They're still awesome, all the same). I also have great affections for the animation style (particularly the Sonic Rainboom seen in two of the released trailers) - if I feel the need to see the film in theaters, I'll do it if it means reviving animation in this form.

Oh, and Capper is such a weird addition to an MLP film that I find him awesome for some reason. Which leads me into my next point:

Cappers voice felt really out of place to me, like it was just a little too deep to fit his character? I'm sure I'll feel different in the film but it threw me off
Capper's voice really does sound weird. I guess that's the way we're getting it though, although the surreal concept of Capper is still admirable.

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 01:44:41 PM »
I don't think they're going to be able to go too deep into anything though because of how much there is.  You'll be surprised how short 99 minutes can be when you are trying to throw everything including the kitchen sink in.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal