collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread  (Read 30144 times)

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
Re: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread
« Reply #210 on: November 05, 2017, 02:33:37 AM »
Yay I've seen it!  :frolic:
Spoiler
For the most part I thought it was absolutely awesome. I am now completely Songbird Serenade obsessed  :P Pinkie is incredible, Tempest is just the dog's danglies. However I do feel like too much has been shoehorned in. Some of it just didn't make sense. But the shout-outs were great. Hungry Hungry Hippos!!!  :lol: Praying so hard that the DVD comes out in the UK before Xmas. I'm really looking forward to a sequel.
Amazon has the DVD release date set as 16th of March 2018, while that might just be a place holder date I doubt we will see it come out before xmas.

Thanks for the info! I'm in the UK so guessing well get it a couple of months afterwards.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2017, 09:55:05 AM »
Anyone else thing Songbird Serenade should've had a bigger role other than "oh hey, I'm here"? She didn't really do anything in the movie except get captured and sing. Would've thought a celebrity pony would've done more like gone with the ponies to help defeat Storm King.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
I think that was because of the talent.  Sia might not be able to voice act, so she's just there to sing.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »
Zootopia did the same thing.  I think it's just a way to include the big name that is providing a song and to increase hype for the movie.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2017, 05:33:54 PM »
I think that was because of the talent.  Sia might not be able to voice act, so she's just there to sing.
Though someone was voicing Songbird at the beginning.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2017, 05:42:39 PM »

Yes, Sia was. I think Al just means that she's not about to voice act well enough to get a more significant amount of lines. But regardless, the lines she did have was in fact her.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline StarSwirl05

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2017, 04:14:31 AM »

Yes, Sia was. I think Al just means that she's not about to voice act well enough to get a more significant amount of lines. But regardless, the lines she did have was in fact her.
If that's her, how did she speak without her accent being noticeable?

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2017, 06:29:53 AM »

If that's her, how did she speak without her accent being noticeable?

It's her, she confirmed it herself.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2017, 07:59:48 AM »
So if she did both the voice acting and the singing for Songbird Serenade, why does she sound so different when she sings?

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
So if she did both the voice acting and the singing for Songbird Serenade, why does she sound so different when she sings?

People sound different when they sing and talk all the time?

Offline StarSwirl05

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2017, 11:20:37 AM »
I guess Sia's just the first person I've heard to do both singing and speaking in the same media but sound different as FiM has two different actors for the characters on the show, one does signing, the other does voice. G3 had this but the voices were clearly the same.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2017, 02:53:56 PM »
I guess Sia's just the first person I've heard to do both singing and speaking in the same media but sound different as FiM has two different actors for the characters on the show, one does signing, the other does voice. G3 had this but the voices were clearly the same.
I guess it's in the... ear of the beholder?  Somebody complained that Wysteria didn't get a song in The Princess Promenade, but she did, and I had to point out that "Friendship and Flowers" was Wysteria's song, if I remember correctly.  That reviewer (if it was the reviewer and not a commenter) most likely didn't even realise it was the same person, even though Tabitha St. Germain did both the character voice and the singing voice.

In G4, maybe the actresses who don't sing for their characters have a hard time keeping the voices for those characters while they sing?  Previous generations have shown that some of them are capable of singing, so maybe the character they play has the "wrong" voice for them to sing in?  It's probably harder to sing in a different voice and still sound good, however good you are at voice acting.

For Sia, there would be no point in crediting her as a voice if she didn't do the acting part.  They would have just credited the voice actresses and promoted the fact there was a song performed by Sia.  They explicitly said that Sia was going to be Songbird Serenade.

EDIT: Sorry, I went off on a bit of a tangent there, but yeah, sometimes the voice can sound different when it's the same person - hence the G3 thing I mentioned.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:55:28 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline StarSwirl05

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #222 on: November 10, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »
Well consider me one of those that didn't recognize Wysteria's VA doing the singing. I mean, there were scenes that at least made it look like Wysteria was singing. I guess in that instance, the song was good enough as is. On topic of Sia's song, Hasbro made a pretty cool music video with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gut423ANiwo

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 21, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »
That March date on Amazon must have been a placeholder. Ads are now saying Jan 9 as the release date for the dvd. I'm hoping for some cool behind the scene things, though I'm guessing if anything we'll get the behind-the-scene short bits that were released on tv right before the movie came out.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 22, 2017, 09:00:49 AM »

I was always told in various singing groups growing up that you're "supposed" to be (mostly) accentless when singing. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal