collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Was Hascon a bust?  (Read 402 times)

Offline GalacticaTopic starter

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
Was Hascon a bust?
« on: September 11, 2017, 11:51:55 PM »
So if Hasbro did not get the number of attendees and sales and profits they anticipated out of the event, I wonder if they will abandon the idea and "give bacK" MLP Fair ? 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
Re: Was Hascon a bust?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:56:42 PM »
Were there a lot of people there?

I feel in terms of high pricing  and not giving people enough time to financially prepare, as well as ticking off fans of two of their most lucrative franchises by dissolving and absorbing their cons, they lost some goodwill.

But I'm also hearing that those who were capable of going had a good time.

So based on that, I'm saying somewhere in between with room for improvement.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 02:14:18 AM »
is there any news on the numbers from hascon ?

after watching hundreds of youtube videos and see thousands of hascon pictures i think it is safe to say in my opinion that hascon was in fact not a con to me.

this was an event to bring your kids to and have fun, a place to see the products... 

i think they left out the pony collectors as well as some others and could have had many hundreds if not thousands more people attend

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+352)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:11:05 AM »
I would say no, definitely not a bust. I think the HasCon crew hit their main target market (families). Every single Hasbro representive that I spoke with over the weekend was very open to polite constructive criticism and honest discussion about collector expectations vs family expectations for future events.

I had a phenomenal time there, and I'm glad I went with an open mind rather than writing it off completely. Some brands focused more on the collector market, while others focused more on the family market (Pony definitely aimed for the family market). If they would have focused their marketing and advertising earlier on to set clearer expectations, I think it would have been even more successful. One thing that was not clear before you arrived was that almost everything was included in the ticket prices - no additional charges for autographs; people loading you up with freebies like postcards, small toys, craft items... kids that went there made out like bandits! The only additional cost items were the special dinner events and the Super Fan/VIP ticket which included the headquarters tour.

My gut instinct is that Hasbro will learn from their weak points and shoot for a more fine tuned event in the future, but I would not say this was a bust for the demographic they wanted in attendance. I have a feeling they will continue to pursue a family-focused event with a small amount of collector interest points.
~*~ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ~*~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »
Can't put it better than kitkatvintage just did. ;D

The inaugural year of any event is always trial and error. Overall it was a great time and I think everyone that attended of all ages had fun! So many opportunities to interact with the brands including my little pony. The shortcomings (such as the vendor placement/representation) will hopefully be remedied next year. :D It was overall very professional and well managed (I was very impressed how smooth things went. I feel like it was better run in many aspects compared to some of the established big comic conventions.)

I really look forward to seeing what they do next year. I know I'll be there! ^.^

My one regret was I wish I had attended the VIP dinner.... it was just so costly seeming not knowing the give aways and etc.... . maybe next year it will be a little more affordable (like $100).
~Foxtale~

Offline GalacticaTopic starter

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »
It's good to hear from people who actually attended.  I guess we'll just have to see if Hasbro is going to do it again next year.

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:14:18 AM »
From pictures and a few videos I've seen, it looks like it was a well run event with plenty of staff to help direct people and to answer questions. And so much hands-on stuff for kids (big and little? :) ) to do! It looked like a terrific family event (and affordable if one knew ahead of time that there would be big discount groupons for it lol).  I wish Hasbro had honed in on what they wanted it to be earlier--or at least been more forthcoming earlier, for the collectors aspect--but now we know, and can plan accordingly. I am glad it went well and those who were able to go had a good time.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thank you SDS!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+352)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 11:59:15 AM »
Oh another thing worth noting - every single person in a blue crew shirt was a Hasbro employee. None of that "staff" were outside hires. It wasn't obvious that all of those people were designers, marketing, etc... which was a genius move because they got a candid view of the attendees' experiences. Parents talked to them honestly about how their kids felt about the toys & merch, and they got to see kids' real reactions outside of their in-house "play lab" set ups.
~*~ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ~*~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
^ This was also awesome!!!
~Foxtale~