collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Princess Gwenevere /Starla and the Jewel Riders  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Gwenevere /Starla and the Jewel Riders
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »
Yeah, around there - the action figures weren't cheap either, though not as bad as the horses.  I don't recall exactly how much they cost but it was well above what similarly sized horse toys were going for.  I wasn't all that keen to begin with but the posable wings swayed me (at least until they broke).
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 03:10:25 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize the horses cost that much when they were new. I remember getting a Barbie and her horse gift set and I think that was around $50 at the time (around 1995 or 1994) I think I like the Jewel Riders horses better without their armor.

There is a MOC Jewel Rider doll on Ebay with the original price tag on the box and it says $7.99 It's one of the basic dolls.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure give or take a dollar or two the basic dolls were $10, deluxe were $20, and horses $30.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »
Thanks Duenia. :) I think it's really interesting how much they cost new. Did the light up feature work on the dolls?

Ponyfan

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
Thanks Duenia. :) I think it's really interesting how much they cost new. Did the light up feature work on the dolls?

Ponyfan

The light up feature does work! No batteries though. They should have a small circular semi-transparent piece of plastic on their heads. Light goes in there and makes the jewels shine. I don't remember if the Deluxe dolls can light up though. And with Kale you have to turn her crown to uncover the plastic piece and with the regular dolls you have to pull down their masks.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
I always thought the dolls used batteries. So if there is no mask or crown then the dolls won't light up? I've noticed several on Ebay that don't have the masks anyone but I'm sure they were easy to lose. I also noticed they changed Princess Gwenevere's voice actress for Season 2. I've being drawn to a Princess Gwenevere doll now. :)

Ponyfan

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 06:50:18 PM »
Yeah, none of the toys use batteries from what I remember.  The horses certainly didn't - on Sunstar light was caught by her horn and it made the jewel on her harness shine.  Guessing they probably have fibre-optic filaments inside.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 08:32:06 PM »
I always thought the dolls used batteries. So if there is no mask or crown then the dolls won't light up? I've noticed several on Ebay that don't have the masks anyone but I'm sure they were easy to lose. I also noticed they changed Princess Gwenevere's voice actress for Season 2. I've being drawn to a Princess Gwenevere doll now. :)

Ponyfan

It will still light up. No mask or crown just means that you can't cover the hole the light enters through. So basically you can't turn it of without removing the doll for the light source you're using.

Yeah, none of the toys use batteries from what I remember.  The horses certainly didn't - on Sunstar light was caught by her horn and it made the jewel on her harness shine.  Guessing they probably have fibre-optic filaments inside.

Actually it's not the horn ;) It's the bit of plastic behind the horn that does it.

Editing to add pictures:

The light enters through the little open/translucent circles that I've circled on the head. :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:38:18 PM by Duenia »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 08:36:55 PM »
Huh, wonder why they didn't use Sunstar's horn? Maybe not flat enough to catch the light? *puzzled*  You're right though, I vaguely recall being somewhat dismayed there was this spot of translucent plastic behind her horn.  And that the sticker wouldn't stay on the flag/comb. 

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 08:40:12 PM »
Huh, wonder why they didn't use Sunstar's horn? Maybe not flat enough to catch the light? *puzzled*  You're right though, I vaguely recall being somewhat dismayed there was this spot of translucent plastic behind her horn.  And that the sticker wouldn't stay on the flag/comb.

I always assumed it was because one of the things they made a point of showing is that you could make the light blink like it does sometimes in the show. You can't cover the horn really but you can put your finger over the little plastic circle. They do that in the commercials for the toys.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2017, 07:05:57 AM »
Ah that makes sense - I never saw the show or commercials as a kid.
We had four english channels growing up; TV was pretty slim on kid's programming.  Most of the cartoons I got to see were rented out on tape.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »
Ah that makes sense - I never saw the show or commercials as a kid.
We had four english channels growing up; TV was pretty slim on kid's programming.  Most of the cartoons I got to see were rented out on tape.

I had 3/4 of the VHS tapes. They naturally have the commercial for the toys on them as well lol.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 05:58:53 AM »
Aww what a great thread, thank you! Very nostalgic for me. I used to love this show as a little kid, and would always walk around and sing the theme song. I found it much later, as an adult, on youtube so I've seen all the episodes now. Such a cute idea for a show! They should totally reboot this, they've rebooted everything else by now. :P
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2017, 11:13:42 AM »
Agreed, they really should reboot it. Maybe in the style of the Princess Amethyst shorts? That would be awesome.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 04:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Duenia. :) I'm really loving this thread too. I'm about 5 episodes in to the 1st season but I'm enjoying the show.

I didn't know there were Princess Amethyst shorts. When I was very young someone gave me the comic book but I think I would have enjoyed it more when I was a little older but I've been wondering lately if I should give it another chance.

I think a new Jewel Riders show could be fun if it was done right. :) Keeping  the same characters and basic idea and maybe updating the animation.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal