collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: It Movie, 2017 Who Has Seen it? Thoughts and Opinions *Spoilers Alert*  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
I saw the movie today, expecting to be disappointed but I actually enjoyed it.  I was a little creeped out when one of the boys was in that room filled with clown statues.  I heard some reactions from people when they saw that.  I'm excited for part two.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Re: It Movie, 2017 Who Has Seen it? Thoughts and Opinions *Spoilers Alert*
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »
Wait, it's in two parts? I wasn't planning on seeing the movie, not overly interested even though I've enjoyed a few Steven King short stories (not IT though, I've heard the story is darker than any of the film adaptations have ever been)

I'm pretty sure I watched the mini-series, that was split into two at the time jump I think... It was okay.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on it, might away me into seeing it after all.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 01:01:23 PM »
-waves- Hello, Mainer here. XD I feel I have to preference my post with that haha. (There's only two things Mainers are proud of exporting: lobsters and Steven King. XD )

I enjoyed the movie, but I wasn't exactly scared by it. More like just creeped out. I think it's hard to be truly scared when the monster is on the screen for such a long time. Like, Nightmare on Elm Street was pretty terrifying, we don't see Freddy until the movie is more toward the end. Same for Halloween, Michael is always just hanging out in the background or in shadows. In this movie, It was just full on and in your face almost every time he was on the screen. Still, they did some awesome creepy things with the way he moved and talked.

The CGI of the balloons was, like, horrible, though? Was it just me? It looked like an icon from a video game was dropped onto the movie screen. Like, they couldn't just get a real balloon? lol I dunno, funny thing to nitpick I guess. It just really stood out to me.

The music choices were cool, but it would be absent for long times and then just suddenly blast into the scene full volume and I found it very distracting. Like, I was fully immersed in the story as it was unfolding, then some 80's rock music would blare out and I would be like "Oh yeah, I'm watching a movie."

I do have some nitpicks, but I enjoyed the movie overall. I love the development of the characters. I like the design of Pennywise, though not everything they made him do. (The scene where he is a giant in the garage was laughably stupid, but the scene in the basement where he pops up behind Georgie, using him as a puppet? Hooooly cow awesome.) The headless kid was very creepy too. >.>

In the book it's kinda interesting that It is so rarely the clown. Usually It appears as your worst fear. They did that a little in the 90's mini-series and even more so in this movie, but it was always the clown design behind the fear. Makes sense, since you need something iconic to be the center of a visual story, like a movie, where you can have a more abstract concept as the center of a book.

I don't mind that they dropped a bunch of scenes and subplots from the book to make the movie. I mean, the book is over 1,000 pages, it's kinda bloated. But there's one scene that was from the book and also made it into the 90's mini-series that wasn't in the movie, and that disappointed me. There's a scene where Stan is being confronted by It, and he's too afraid to move, the only thing he can think to do is hold out his bird identification book in front of him (he's a bird watcher) and recite the names of all the birds he can think of, as quickly as he can. For no reason at all, this holds It at bay long enough for him to escape.

I guess it's kinda goofy to see visually, but I think the scene is cool because it shows us the underlying theme of the book, which is 'mind over matter.' The point of the story is that you can change your perception to defeat evil, overcome your fears to succeed, power through problems with the strengths of your beliefs. By focusing on an intellectual list, Stan overcame his fear and was able to escape.

Anyway, it was a good movie! I liked it and I look forward to part 2!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »
I'm too scared to go see it!  :yikes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:17:23 PM »
Hubby really wanted to see it so we went Sunday. I've never seen the original but I had a basic sense of the story. I'm not one for horror movies, but I thought it was well done. I definitely jumped and held on to hubby's arm for most of it.

As I was watching it, I kept feeling like the city itself/downtown looked soooooo familiar. Like I had been there, or seen the town before. Then the road bridge, and the covered bridge....I KNEW it had to be Ontario. Plus hubby said the big scary house (where Pennywise lived) was in a city in Ontario. The whole thing was pretty much filmed around Ontario, no wonder it looked so familiar. Haha.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:44:28 PM »
Oh yeah, the setting! I had to check where they filmed during the ending credits, it looked SO much like Maine! They did a great job finding a good place to film that held true to the book setting. :D

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 08:42:06 PM »
I loved it! I haven't seen the original miniseries yet, going to borrow it from my mom soon, but I really want to read the book! I know they can't keep it completely true to source material, but I think the film did a wonderful job adapting the story to the big screen. I can't wait for part 2!
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
I finally went to see IT tonight! :frolic: It was awesome, but I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or not. :lookround: I was looking forward to it so much, and the trailers looked so good. The actual movie was good, great even! but the book is like my bible, you know? I didn't feel like the movie did it justice.

Just some random thoughts! I don't do reviews, because it will suck. XD

- Eddie: Just no. With the trailers I already felt like they didn't pick the right kid to play Eddie, but I was hoping that maybe I would change my mind after seeing the actual movie. I didn't. Eddie is supposed to looked pale and timid, this Eddie looks super healthy and acts way too spontaneous.

- No Für Elise on the day Georgie died?

- Sophia's acting in the bloody bathroom scene was MAGNIFICENT. I'm not a movie person, so usually I couldn't care less who gets which award, but wow, I really hope she gets an Oscar! I think Beverley was my favourite character anyway in the movie, she was fantastic. It's funny, because in the book my favourite characters from the Losers Club are Ben, Mike and Stan.

- I thought the movie felt rushed. Even the miniseries, which covered the entire story in three hours, felt less rushed than this. I didn't feel like we got to know the characters at all.

- Ben has problems with the library staff? :|

- Patrick Hockstetter was a completely different character than the way he is the book, but he was downright creepy, so I'm not complaining! *shudder*

- The lady with the flute was seriously creepy, I liked it.

- I can take it all, the blood and the teeth and everything, but shoot a sheep in the head and take a cat as a shooting target, and I will cry.

- Henry Bowers was a joke. He has such an important role in the book, I didn't see any of this. When he killed his father it almost felt like they squeezed in it because they had to, while in the book, every action is part of something bigger. His mission to catch and kill these seven kids no matter what, was non-existent.

- It didn't feel like It was part of Derry at all. It hardly felt like It was a constant (well, every 27 years) threat to the people of Derry, let alone that It controls the town (which it does, even during the quiet years). It was more like these kids had discovered some monster that just happened to be there. This was definitely better in the first movie.

- Same with the Losers Club. Mission? What mission? I hardly felt that. Especially because five out of seven didn't even want to go through with it. In the book they all feel It HAS to be stopped. Especially Stanley, despite being more terrified than anyone else, but in the movie he hardly plays a part. Same with Mike, what about him and his knowledge about Derry? I honestly don't get why they let Ben have all the fun with this. He has his own share.

- I absolutely LOVED the giant pile of strollers, dolls, children's bikes and wagons with the victims floating around it, very sinister. It was SO well done. And when they found Georgie's (real) yellow raincoat at the end, I gasped. That was a very powerful moment.

- Bill shooting "Georgie" right after saying "I love you too"... That was intense.

- The scene with Beverly floating was also fantastic. It looked very creepy and unreal (in a good way), her eyes too. I think this pretty much captures what Bill must have looked like when he was performing the ritual of Chüd (except for the eyes maybe).

- The fighting scene was a bit pointless. Richie hitting Bill? Seriously? You don't just smack Big Bill. O___O To be honest I'm not too fond of the whole "big, beautiful, perfect Bill, our leader" thing, but book-Richie NEVER would have hit Bill (and Bill wouldn't have hit Richie in the first place, either).

- Gazebo. :mrgreen:

I probably forgot half of what I meant to post, but it's half past one in the night right now, and I'm knackered. Maybe I'll remember more in the morning. :zzz:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:41:58 PM by Broken Irishwoman »

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 08:12:29 AM »
didnt read this topic to not to read any spoilers :P

IT comes to the cinemas on september 28th in Germany. Im going to see the preview on wednesday september 27th with my dad :D :D
The book is one of my favourites, I read it first more than 20 years ago and I still love it! I feel, Pennywise and me have kind of a relation, lol. It came into sooo many of my dreams! So time to see it at the cinemas for some fresh nightmares XD

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 05:20:16 AM »
phew so now yesterday was the big day :D Dad and me went to the cinema and watched IT !!!! OMG it was great! We had such a great time!! Ok, some things where quite annoying, like the really young audience we shared the film with (they were babbling and talking and shifting and... it was just annoying as heck.... Nobody seemed to be able to sit still *sigh* I really wondered why they bothered to see the movie when they were obviously not really interested in it :( )
Also the theater didnt have enough promotional material to give to all guests watching IT... they had given out little paper boats and a booklet but only had like 20 *sigh* I reeeeeeally wanted one but no chance :(
But well, the movie was great in all!! Dad and me are long time King-Fans, so we read the books, we like the audio books, we watch the films, we discuss the books over and over and IT was our favourite of all times for about 20 years now. So, really, we had a blast!

I was a little sad that they didnt include some signature things like Für Elise played by mom the day when Georgie died Mike being the one that reads all the stuff about Derry. Or Eddie being a bit too tough, Richie being kind of unloyal (sorry, my personal feeling...) and Henry not being as obsessed as he originally was. There are a few more things but before I start picking all the not so great stuff, I have to say : in all it was really great, well played, Pennywise was perfect and It was just a great movie to watch! So, I can reccomend IT !!
Btw, for all who read the book : the movie was full of nods to the book, I really loved all the details like Eddie wearing a Tracker Bros. shirt, Bill with the Lego turtle and so on. That was really awesome!!! :)

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »
Awesome that you went to see It too! :D

We share a lot of viewpoints (Eddie, Mike, Henry, Für Elise), and I agree about Richie too. He always stands behind his friends in the book. Also, he was blunt in the book, but never rude. He was awfully rude in this movie.

In my previous post it probably looks like I'm bashing this adaption, but I didn't mean to. I loved it! I just think it strays even further from the book than the miniseries did. To be honest I expected the opposite, so I was disappointed. And their friendship is too simple in this movie. In the book their friendship is deep, meaningful and serious, in the movie they really are just kids.

EDIT: And what about the lucky seven? Where's the significance? They don't even mention that there's seven of them now when Mike joins them, or that they weren't complete before. This is too big to leave out. :|
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:15:46 AM by Broken Irishwoman »

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »
Random trivia: I've been watching a couple It reviews on youtube, and one of the reviewers happens to be a big fan of bicycles, and knows the history of bicycles. He was really taken out of the movie when he noticed all the kids were riding Schwinn bikes, which were very popular in the '50's, despite the fact that they moved the time period to the 80's.

He said if they wanted to make it seem more believable, they should have given the kids old BMX bikes, which was one of the more popular bikes young kids rode around in the 80's. (He admits they could have done it on purpose to make all the kids seem poor, like they have old hand-me-down bikes, but old Schwinn bikes were not easy to come by in the 80's.)

Just goes to show you, there are experts for every single thing out there, and if you're not careful, they will notice things about your movie lol.

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
Haha yes, someone also commented that the Lego turtle Bills drops when he sees "Georgie" running by is wrong too. Apparently that particular lego set wasn't released until 2010. :P

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 10:43:09 PM »
Im shocked how many of my daughters classmates have already seen IT... 8th grade, the kids are around 14. I would have been scared to death at thet age but the kids these days are joking about Pennywise. o.o wow.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »

- And when they found Georgie's (real) yellow raincoat at the end, I gasped. That was a very powerful moment.

Why would Georgie's raincoat be down there?  He only got his arm torn off in the book.  Did his whole coat come off, or did It get Georgie completely like in the miniseries?

LOL  Your critique was really good, but I latched onto that bit for some reason! 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal