collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Recommended straightening iron for defrizzing hair?  (Read 1475 times)

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Recommended straightening iron for defrizzing hair?
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »
When I get my first paycheck I want to buy a straightening iron so I can finally defrizz a bunch of my ponies' hair, but before I go out and buy one, I want to know if there are any specific ones people recommend and have good experience using. I'd like one that would do well with hair that has tinsel in it too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
Re: Recommended straightening iron for defrizzing hair?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »
I use the revlon wet to straight iron. It has multiple heat settings and can be used on wet hair easily.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »
I think the important point is more that the straightening iron has multiple heat settings. Not so much the manufacturer. Even the GHD, which is a very expensive item, gets too hot for pony hair.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:20:15 AM »
Any straightener with a variable heat setting should work.  Mine goes to 10, I do extremely bad frizz on 8, and most ponies don't need past 5. 

Offline centaurette

• Captain Jack Pony
  • i'm preparing to shine... from the inside, out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
heat variety is key for sure, and even then, definitions of 'hot' vary between straighteners (my straightener is still safe to touch at 'high', and my boyfriend's is definitely not!), so i always advise testing out on a bait pony on the lowest setting, just to be safe! <3

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:51:05 AM »
heat variety is key for sure, and even then, definitions of 'hot' vary between straighteners (my straightener is still safe to touch at 'high', and my boyfriend's is definitely not!), so i always advise testing out on a bait pony on the lowest setting, just to be safe! <3

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering which ones people recommend so I don't buy one that can't get a low enough temperature for ponies!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 09:54:45 AM »
I use a clothes iron on the synthetic setting ^.^

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 09:58:58 AM »
OK, for what it's worth then I use the HairPro Hair Straightener, and it works perfectly. But whether this is available outside of SA I don't know as it is packaged by a company in Johannesburg. My friend has a GHD, and it is too hot for pony hair.

Post Merge: October 05, 2017, 10:01:05 AM

To add: The temperature settings on my straightener go from 80 degrees celcius to 210 degrees celcius. About half this temp or even cooler has been sufficient on all the ponies I have tried it on. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:01:05 AM by NightGliderSA »

Offline centaurette

• Captain Jack Pony
  • i'm preparing to shine... from the inside, out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 10:56:44 AM »

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering which ones people recommend so I don't buy one that can't get a low enough temperature for ponies!
oh, you know what you could do? go into a beauty store (or search online!) for a straightener that's kind on synthetic hair/wigs! i have one special for the wigs i wear to ensure that it doesn't fry the fibers, and that would be a good place to start and would narrow your search down considerably!

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 06:00:15 PM »
OK, for what it's worth then I use the HairPro Hair Straightener, and it works perfectly. But whether this is available outside of SA I don't know as it is packaged by a company in Johannesburg. My friend has a GHD, and it is too hot for pony hair.

Post Merge: October 05, 2017, 10:01:05 AM

To add: The temperature settings on my straightener go from 80 degrees celcius to 210 degrees celcius. About half this temp or even cooler has been sufficient on all the ponies I have tried it on. Hope this helps.

oh, you know what you could do? go into a beauty store (or search online!) for a straightener that's kind on synthetic hair/wigs! i have one special for the wigs i wear to ensure that it doesn't fry the fibers, and that would be a good place to start and would narrow your search down considerably!

Thank you!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »
I liked this one so much, I bought two (one for backup!). It's small and has a temperature dial  :)  And it's really cheap!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AHS9X/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 01:34:45 AM »
It varies so much. I had an old cheap one that had a temp dial, and then it got nicked at my wedding (I know, who steals the bride's crappy old straightener, right?) and I upgraded to a really expensive one that doesn't even have a temp setting! I just flick it on and off and go my the vibe of the thing when I do my ponies atm! I did ruin one fakie once when I forgot to flick it back off, but her hair was borderline too far gone anyway, so I wasn't completely devastated! Using one designed for wigs is a great idea though!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 03:14:59 AM »
It varies so much. I had an old cheap one that had a temp dial, and then it got nicked at my wedding (I know, who steals the bride's crappy old straightener, right?)

That is just so wrong on so many levels...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal