collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: It sucks not having TV  (Read 1418 times)

SaphTalon

• Trade Count: (0)
It sucks not having TV
« on: September 06, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »
All my Brony/fury friends on FB have seen the recent episodes and I have not. I know I have not really had the time for it lately due to school and work, but dang it. I would find the time to sit down and get caught up with DVR.
I have the G1 and G2 DVDs so I know I can watch them in the mean time. I kind of need to watch G1 because I want to have an opinion on my favorite pony and over all favorite character. I can't decide on a favorite character in G3, but like my top 3 in that generation would be Starcatcher, Skywishes, and Minty.
So is anyone else on here in the same budget issue like I am?

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: It sucks not having TV
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »
The channel it airs on is never part of any basic package in my area, and we're not going to pay for the next level up, so I never get to see new episodes.  I can however see them on netflix, just I'm never current.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
See if your library has them on DVD.  The library I work at has all the seasons.  Obviously it's not the new episodes just airing but it could get you caught up to a point.  Or see if they're on YouTube. 

I don't really watch current television myself.  I started buying DVDs in high school so that when I moved out I wouldn't have to pay for cable.  This was before the age of Netflix and streaming, though, so I had no idea such things would one day be available.  However, having the DVDs is nice because I can watch what I'm in the mood for even if it's not available for streaming.

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 12:23:19 PM »
We haven't had television channels for over ten years. We live out in the boonies, too, so we don't have streaming netflix- we get the discs. I buy the discs as soon as they are available, and for a while I was able to watch them during down-time at work, which has the internet, but things have changed and I don't get to do that anymore. (I'm still trying to find ways to amuse myself during the downtime, though! That's why I'm here!) So no, you are not alone. I have seen a few episodes of season 6, but pretty much anything anyone says about that season is a spoiler for me. Good thing nothing surprises me anymore!

Power through, Abba. Someday everything will be old, and you'll have seen it a hundred times, and this will funny history. I like the idea of the library, though- I might look into that!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »
All my Brony/fury friends on FB have seen the recent episodes and I have not. I know I have not really had the time for it lately due to school and work, but dang it. I would find the time to sit down and get caught up with DVR.
I have the G1 and G2 DVDs so I know I can watch them in the mean time.

By G2 I assume you mean the MLP Tales series? (G2 has no animation, so I did a doubletake trying to figure that out before I realised). They're worth watching though. At least in my opinion. The animation has some glitches in it but the characters are kinda endearing. I always loved the MLP Tales episodes probably best of all the G1 animation :/ though I will probably get things thrown at me for that (was always more of a MLP comic girl >.>)

And as others have said, new eps don't stay new for long. They'll still be just as good when you get to watch them as they were the first time they aired, right? And you have something to look forward to as well.

I had a weird experience this past week that Portuguese TV aired a G3 special and then the next day the first/pilot? FIM special about Nightmare Moon. The G3 one was also an early one, when they are trying to surprise Kimono on her birthday. I don't speak Portuguese (pretty much none at all, actually), but I got enough from both eps to know which they were. I have never seen G3 on television anywhere before, ever, so that was a surprise.

To get to my point, though, they were airing old eps, not new ones. I imagine that just because there are new pony eps, there are still going to be a lot of people who haven't seen them yet. I don't actually know what is airing in the UK, Tiny Pop has disappeared on my Freeview and I don't keep up with the series anyway, but I am sure there are a lot of people in the same position you are.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 06:15:36 PM »
We don't even get the current episodes over here! I have the complete cable package with all the available cartoon channels, and I was watching season 4 or 5 I think the other day, and I already have those on DVD!! The only way for us to get them is to have a VPN, and stream online, as the new eps aren't available legally AT ALL. None of the streaming services allow us to watch. I buy the DVDs as they come down in price, and watch those. I currently have til the end of season 5, and the season 6 DVDs are just starting to drop. Equestria Girls is more up-to-date in Australia than actual MLP, it's ridiculous, really.

I too was a bit confused by the G2 reference, I was thinking "she's gonna be really disappointed when she realises that's not a DVD, that's a computer game!" but then realised it was Tales you meant, which is one of the 2 G1 cartoons. The only media for the G2 line was the Friendship Gardens PC game. It's a shame really, I liked some of the characters they described on the backcards, and it would have been cool to see them in action. They further confused things by using G2 art on lots of G1 DVDs. Even the latest R4 releases, while they finally have G1 art on the covers, the menus still feature G2 style art.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 09:48:34 PM »
Check WatchCartoonOnline.  It has MLP & Friends, MLP Tales, and MLP FIM.  (Not sure if it has the G3 specials or not.)  I've never caught any malware from the site, but I would use an ad-blocker to be safe.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 04:26:06 AM »
The latest FiM episodes are always on Dailymotion and/or Youtube within a couple of hours of airing on TV (I don't feel great about watching them that way but it's the only way I have any hope of seeing them!)  They tend to get taken down for copyright reasons after a few days though.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »
I miss back when the channel was "The Hub". They had a website that allowed you stream the show for free, legally. The episodes were on a slight delay, I believe they came on the site the Monday after the weekend they aired.

Now things are so much more complex.

People are all like "Cut the cord, buy streaming services!" but as a poor college student, the streaming services are a bigger mess (not that I have cable, either). Sure, I love having Crunchyroll for my anime needs, but streaming services are picking up more and more exclusives and it's no longer feasible to have just one.

Netflix, IIRC, gets FiM episodes in seasons a while after that season has aired, so it's not feasible, either.

I miss the early years of streaming (2008 through at least 2011/2012).

|My Collection|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal