collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sportstime  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Sportstime
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:52:55 PM »
Sports-time's symbol is a soccerball/football, correct?  Not a volleyball?  And he is mostly portrayed as male, correct?  Doing research.  Thanks in advance.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline northstar3184

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Sportstime
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »
His symbol is a volleyball. However, I see his wiki page says his symbol is a football, which is incorrect. But yes, he is a stallion.

Here's his wiki page: http://www.mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Sports-Time

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »
I have always thought of it as a football (as in soccer) but it does look more like a volleyball.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:33:55 PM »
Culturally speaking a football makes the most sense. Although it may be a generic ball design. In the comics he had a phrase of 'any sport's a good sport ' so he clearly plays many. But I imagine that being that he is European a football makes most sense. Even though it looks like a volleyball. I did some looking up and at the time of his release volleyball was most popular in European countries where he was not sold which makes it an interesting design choice (vis a vis football which has been continentally dominant as a sport.

I found his backcard story, not my image:

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/cdn/7-1/2703187/images/2011/alle-002_148500903.jpg

Heading it implies football but Musictimez's comments indicate it can be any sport so I am going to go with it as generic not specifically meant to represent one sport. Or maybe to represent a ball found in a school games collection?

Interesting.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:47:39 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 11:39:51 PM »
Definitely a volleyball.

And yes, he's canonly a guy. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 03:37:30 AM »
After further contemplation, I realised what it probably was. It's not a volleyball, in my opinion - volleyball was not popular enough in Western Europe at the time he was released. It's a netball. Although netball isn't commonly played by guys, and Sportstime is a guy, the target audience was girls and netball is pretty widespread across Europe. I also remember that we had to do netball in school PE as a compulsory sport from the age of about seven or eight right through till sixteen, so that seems much more likely.

I think it's a netball.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 06:59:31 AM »
Netball! Yes!! I could never figure out his symbol, it does look like a volleyball but that didn't seem to make complete sense somehow? But netball definitely seems more likely to me :D

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 09:30:47 AM »
How do you play netball? (I could google this, but it's way more fun to ask!)
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 09:42:46 AM »

I think its the same as basketball. That looks like a basketball.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »

It's not the same but it is related. As I remember there were seven positions on each side and each position was limited as to where in the court they could go (I was usually Wing Attack when I played for the primary school team at age 11 and that I remember could go in the middle third and attack third but not the shooting semicircle). The positions if I remember right were Goal Keeper, Wing Defence, Wing Attack, Goal Defence, Goal Attack, Centre and Goal Shooter. I *think* it still appears at the olympics though the UK are generally barred from taking part in any national team sports at the Olympics because we compete in such things as separate nations, not as Great Britain and that means we don't have the qualification stats to compete as a collective (which is how we compete at the Olympics in other sports). I also seem to remember the Netherlands being pretty good at it..?

Oh yeah. No bouncing of the ball or dribbling like in basketball. If you have the ball you cannot take a step, so you have to pass it instead. If you move with the ball it's a foul.

This is all dredged from my memory of almost 20 years ago which is when I last played so anyone who wants to correct me feel free to do so ;)

I enjoyed playing it though, at primary school. It was about the only team sport I was good at, but when I went to secondary the entire team were nasty people, most of whom were in my class too, so I lost my enthusiasm...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Gator

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 11:30:32 AM »
Well darn.  I was hoping it could pass as a soccer ball.  In the arts forum, for Sept., we're to draw Quarterback.  I thought I could pit Quarterback and Sportstime against one another in a "Football!" " No, Futbol! "  argument.  You know, a play on the U.S.'s version of football vs. The rest of the world.  Oh well, second thought is to draw Quarterback with Sparkler in her cheerleading uniform from "Dressed like dream".  Thank you for all the info Taffeta.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
Oh well, second thought is to draw Quarterback with Sparkler in her cheerleading uniform from "Dressed like dream".

eeeeee this sounds so cute!!!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »

It's not the same but it is related. As I remember there were seven positions on each side and each position was limited as to where in the court they could go (I was usually Wing Attack when I played for the primary school team at age 11 and that I remember could go in the middle third and attack third but not the shooting semicircle). The positions if I remember right were Goal Keeper, Wing Defence, Wing Attack, Goal Defence, Goal Attack, Centre and Goal Shooter. I *think* it still appears at the olympics though the UK are generally barred from taking part in any national team sports at the Olympics because we compete in such things as separate nations, not as Great Britain and that means we don't have the qualification stats to compete as a collective (which is how we compete at the Olympics in other sports). I also seem to remember the Netherlands being pretty good at it..?

Oh yeah. No bouncing of the ball or dribbling like in basketball. If you have the ball you cannot take a step, so you have to pass it instead. If you move with the ball it's a foul.

This is all dredged from my memory of almost 20 years ago which is when I last played so anyone who wants to correct me feel free to do so ;)

I enjoyed playing it though, at primary school. It was about the only team sport I was good at, but when I went to secondary the entire team were nasty people, most of whom were in my class too, so I lost my enthusiasm...

Neat.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 06:26:39 PM »
Us Aussies are pretty good at netball! I played from fourth grade right up until tenth, mostly as Goal Attack. I loved it and was pretty good - I scored MVP a few years, but never got picked for any state teams or anything. Then I went to a different high school that didn't have a team. I played again after I finished school just for fitness, in a women's senior league mostly just training for fun, but again I moved and now here there is a high membership fee, and it's taken waay too seriously, you have to tryout, attend EVERY week without fail or you're dumped, and compete. Dude, just wanna play some netball, get fit and have some fun, not go to the bloody olympics!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 07:53:17 PM »
To be honest, I always thought it was a medicine ball. In gym we used to have ancient leather ones that looked the same, we did all kinds of exercise and weight training with them. Although given the similarities to both volleyball and basketball/netball, perhaps it's meant to be a generic all purpose ball, to match his all-sports personality? :satisfied:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal