collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lord of the Flies  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Lord of the Flies
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »
So what do you guys think of the upcoming Lord of the Flies remake? I confess I've never read the book.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Flies
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:09:04 PM »
I've never read the book or seen either of the movies based on it... But an all female cast reboot sounds like it's just not going to work. (not quite like the controversy of Ghost Busters though)
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 08:38:22 PM »
I think it's completely stupid. I get the cry for more females in films but this ruins the entire point of the book  -_-
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 09:30:42 PM »
That part I do agree with.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 03:25:09 AM »
It could be interesting if a female writer, director and producer would be backing it. But I simply don't trust men to understand how girls would behave in such a scenario.

It's been reported that similar projects written by women have been shut down by male execs.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 06:15:02 AM »
I've never read the book but I've seen the movie a couple of times.  I don't see why they need to remake it, it wasn't good enough in my opinion.  Maybe that's the point of a remake but why are they doing all girls, so they can have catfights or something stupid like that.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 06:28:04 AM »
I didn't know they were remaking the movie, but I had to read the book in school and what a terrible book it was! What the heck were they about making that a set work book for children?! I utterly hated it.  :cry:

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 10:10:44 AM »
I didn't know they were remaking the movie, but I had to read the book in school and what a terrible book it was! What the heck were they about making that a set work book for children?! I utterly hated it.  :cry:

Me too! We had to study this book at school and then were "treated" to a black-n-white movie to watch... I didn't like the nightmare of a story, the bullying, the violence... that awful bit towards the end... no thank you!

I am not interested in watching it at all, but I suppose someone wanted the exercise in exploring how a group of girls would react when put in the same situation as that group of boys were. Fair play to them, but it's just not the sort of subject matter that I want to see!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »
They are making a movie?

We had to read the book in grade 10.  It..has a lot of meaning and impact.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 11:12:33 AM »
A female adaptation just wouldn't work for this - it changes the entire story completely. Sure, girls in that situation wouldn't be all sunshine and roses necessarily, but the dynamic would be totally different. I agree that they'd end up making it basically Mean Girls but on a deserted island.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »
Oy, the female adaptation thing is becoming grossly tiresome and overdone like Disney's 'Let's make all the animated movies live action!!!11' thing.  Why can't Hollywood come  up with new ideas instead of bothering old ones so much? There are a lot of books for instance that have never had a movie adaptation. That'd be a great start.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 05:26:34 PM »
Oy, the female adaptation thing is becoming grossly tiresome and overdone like Disney's 'Let's make all the animated movies live action!!!11' thing.  Why can't Hollywood come  up with new ideas instead of bothering old ones so much? There are a lot of books for instance that have never had a movie adaptation. That'd be a great start.
[/quote
I blame it on SJWs.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 04:02:08 AM »
One thing I never got from reading the book in high school, but I later read online, is that Lord of the Flies is actually a response to another novel (whose name escapes me :P)! The previous novel is about a group of British schoolboys who are marooned during a trip, too. They, being very British and oh-so-excellent as such, immediately work together, set up camp, and are rescued thanks to how very clever and morally upright they are! :P William Golding (had to google the author, LOL!) didn't think much of the pro-British propoganda feel of the novel, so he wrote his own, more "realistic" version of how upper-class white teenage boys might react in such a situation - nightmarishly!

Thus, an all-female remake of Lord of the Flies just wouldn't work, since the whole book was about how the intersection of semi-wealthy, white, adolescent, male worldviews result in a particularly vicious and murderous end when pushed to their breaking point. Although you could make the same point for white female worldviews being vicious too, women aren't allowed/socialized to be violent in the same way that men are, and so the whole plausibility of the snowballing violence doesn't make as much sense, and the larger social commentary is lost.

I think the large studios are trying to "make things female!" without really understanding why or how it should be done. Women would love to see a female-led Maze Runner, Harry Potter, etc.! But Lord of the Flies doesn't really work! :yikes:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 04:56:25 AM »
I believe that women can be just as vicious, maybe more so, given their inclination to manipulate and add a mental/social aspect. We don't call them "mean girls" for nothing. It just may not escalate in the same fashion as in the Lord of the Flies.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »

Post Merge: September 07, 2017, 10:02:30 AM

I believe that women can be just as vicious, maybe more so, given their inclination to manipulate and add a mental/social aspect. We don't call them "mean girls" for nothing. It just may not escalate in the same fashion as in the Lord of the Flies.

Of course they can, I've known plenty of brutal, cruel girls. What, do people think gang member girls only get into sissy slap fights? Or that temperamental addicts are strictly weepy and depressed? Do they think women in the military are too genteel to be in dangerous combat situations?  Do they think only men are capable of getting physically violent when they're jealous? Cause anyone who thinks otherwise has their head stuck in the sand.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:14:51 AM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal