collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "pony cancer" how bad can it get and how much longer do you think my pony has?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline DappledHazel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
I bought a Twinkle-Eyed pony a bit ago and the first thing I noticed about her was that she had a brown spot on her. I saw it in the image before purchasing her but I didn't think anything of it, I thought it was dirt. Recently I've started to notice some more brown spots and her back leg is starting to bend, become thin, and feel sticky when you touch it. It looks as if the plastic is melting, but it is only 76 degrees in the house and my other ponies are not melting like this, so I assume it's the pony cancer/brown spots. This is the only pony I've ever had with brown spots and the appearance of melting, so I'm curious, what's the worst you've seen? Do they get very bad quickly? Could it be something else?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is one of the spots on Masquerade. This is the only picture I have that focused on the spots.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:22:46 PM by DappledHazel »

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
Your pony isn't "melting" per se, she is leaking plastisizer. Unfortunately, this process can't be stopped once begun. But it can be delayed, if you're so inclined. Thought honestly the ultimate effect of the plasticizer leaking is that the plastic will become really really really hard. like hard as rock. You can curb the browning spots by thouroughly cleaning on the inside with an oxiclean bath, but her condition will never fully go away.

there is nothing """"bad""" about hardening plastic, it's just something that happens. It will take some time though. she will be sticky for possibly months or longer. you can clean her with dish soap reguarly every time you notice her getting sticky.

wishlist

Offline DappledHazel

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Your pony isn't "melting" per se, she is leaking plastisizer. Unfortunately, this process can't be stopped once begun. But it can be delayed, if you're so inclined. Thought honestly the ultimate effect of the plasticizer leaking is that the plastic will become really really really hard. like hard as rock. You can curb the browning spots by thouroughly cleaning on the inside with an oxiclean bath, but her condition will never fully go away.

there is nothing """"bad""" about hardening plastic, it's just something that happens. It will take some time though. she will be sticky for possibly months or longer. you can clean her with dish soap reguarly every time you notice her getting sticky.

Interesting. I've never had a pony with such problems. The one leg feels extremely thin and bendable, it will harden after a while?

Offline Kikwifluff

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Bait ponies need love too!
    • View Profile

Interesting. I've never had a pony with such problems. The one leg feels extremely thin and bendable, it will harden after a while?

I've had the same thing happen to my ponies, and their plastic always became harder. :) I just wash them carefully, since I don't like sticky ponies :P

Offline orangepeachmango

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile

I've had the same thing happen to my ponies, and their plastic always became harder. :) I just wash them carefully, since I don't like sticky ponies :P

yes, it will harden eventually. try not to bend it and squish it too much while its sticky just to be safe.
i reccomend cleaning her gently with dish soap on the outside, and an oxy bath on the inside.

wishlist

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
My Merry Treats has hardened, she was already like that when I got her. I don't really mind it too much. I'd rather have a pony who's already gone through the process of loosing her plasticizer rather than one that's in the process, personally. I don't like having sticky ponies cause then I hate touching them.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Oxyclean doesn't do anything for age spots.  IT WILL ALSO RUIN TWINKLE EYE COATINGS.
Please don't dump Masquarade into oxyclean!  The brown spots and stickiness and thin plastic are not related - three separate problems.  Age spots are common to certain ponies more than others, and simply a fact of life we'll all eventually have to live with.  Nothing lasts forever.  Keeping a stable temperature and avoiding excess humidity will slow down deterioration, but it can't be halted.

Stickiness is, as mentioned, plasticizer leech.  Clean it off with soap and water until it stops.

Thin plastic is the result of a pony's mould being improperly filled while the liquid vinyl was being formed at the factory.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline orangepeachmango

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
Oxyclean doesn't do anything for age spots.  IT WILL ALSO RUIN TWINKLE EYE COATINGS.
Please don't dump Masquarade into oxyclean!  The brown spots and stickiness and thin plastic are not related - three separate problems.  Age spots are common to certain ponies more than others, and simply a fact of life we'll all eventually have to live with.  Nothing lasts forever.  Keeping a stable temperature and avoiding excess humidity will slow down deterioration, but it can't be halted.

Stickiness is, as mentioned, plasticizer leech.  Clean it off with soap and water until it stops.

Thin plastic is the result of a pony's mould being improperly filled while the liquid vinyl was being formed at the factory.

thank you sugarberry!! i didn't know that about twinkle eyes!

wishlist

Offline DappledHazel

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile

Thank you for the information. I wasn't planning on using anything on her. I will probably get a wet wash cloth and wipe the stickiness off once it stops. :)

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
Improperly filled moulds seem to be a problem for Masquerade - mine has the same problem! The plastic on her back legs is nearly transparent and super squishy  ^.^
Additionally certain temperatures (or a change in temperature) seem to aid plasticizer breakdown in progressing to the hard non-sticky stage. I've bought ponies advertised as horrendously sticky but after a few days in the Australian weather they're all good.

Also, as a side note, I love your Mini Mozzarella avatar! Retro animatronics are awesome! :heart:
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline DappledHazel

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Improperly filled moulds seem to be a problem for Masquerade - mine has the same problem! The plastic on her back legs is nearly transparent and super squishy  ^.^
Additionally certain temperatures (or a change in temperature) seem to aid plasticizer breakdown in progressing to the hard non-sticky stage. I've bought ponies advertised as horrendously sticky but after a few days in the Australian weather they're all good.

Also, as a side note, I love your Mini Mozzarella avatar! Retro animatronics are awesome! :heart:

That's odd, I wonder if its most Twinkle-Eyed ponies or just Masquerade.
Thanks! I agree  ^.^

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: improperly filled molds

My Baby Surprise seems to have this issue on her back legs. Much squishier than the rest of her. Not visually transparent or anything, but the plastic is certainly thinner!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
For sticky ponies, I just keep them separate until it's done and they go hard, and don't leave them on painted surfaces. If they're on a painted shelf, put them onto something, like an old CD, or they'll stick to the paint. I rinse them whenever I have a bit of time, or have to move them, to keep dust from getting all over sticky ponies, that's just gross!

Most of my G3 glitter ponies, and my Trickles are weapons now, you could do some serious damage! Twinkle Eyes are sometimes naturally harder, so once she's hardened, she'll just be like most of the TE population! My Masquerade has definitely not started leaking yet, she's not that hard, but she's still awfully rigid considering. maybe they either got too much or not enough plastic?!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline DappledHazel

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
For sticky ponies, I just keep them separate until it's done and they go hard, and don't leave them on painted surfaces. If they're on a painted shelf, put them onto something, like an old CD, or they'll stick to the paint. I rinse them whenever I have a bit of time, or have to move them, to keep dust from getting all over sticky ponies, that's just gross!

Most of my G3 glitter ponies, and my Trickles are weapons now, you could do some serious damage! Twinkle Eyes are sometimes naturally harder, so once she's hardened, she'll just be like most of the TE population! My Masquerade has definitely not started leaking yet, she's not that hard, but she's still awfully rigid considering. maybe they either got too much or not enough plastic?!
It's interesting how this happens to ponies. I have an Italian Bowtie who feels hard, do you know if they were made differently or perhaps she went through this process too?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Some ponies were just naturally harder to begin with - I remember my Boysenberry Pie being rather durable compared to all the other ponies I had.  It varies by plastic batch and colour. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal