collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Archive of the FiM subforum?  (Read 6296 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Archive of the FiM subforum?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 04:47:03 AM »
Where is the new RPG forum? I always wondered where it went.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 05:32:13 AM »
I did like the episode discussion threads in the FIM forum but I think Taffeta has hit the nail on the head that a lot of the threads ended up dissolving in to arguments over things and not agreeing to disagree. I'm not saying that everyone that posted in the FIM section did that but some did and even after warnings from the mods to keep things polite. 

To keep going with Taffeta's example, I posted in the Unpopular Pony Opinions thread that Twinkle Eye ponies are not my favorite type of pony. Everyone was very respectful and no one posted after me saying things like "How could you not like Twinkle Eye ponies?"

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 04:14:06 PM »
I never considered the discussions in the FIM section to be that bad. Maybe i'm used to discussions that get a lot less polite. Either way i'm very dissapointed to see the FIM forum close. This was the only place where i enjoyed talking about the show and it just seems weird to me that such an important part of MLP is getting ignored now. Ah well.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
I never considered the discussions in the FIM section to be that bad. Maybe i'm used to discussions that get a lot less polite.

I occasionally had a read in there, it was certainly a lot more 'spirited discussion' than other sections of the forum. I guess I never realised just how bad it really was because the mods were constantly working to keep it under control - if several users were on moderated status and each of their posts had to be checked and approved before being posted, then I suppose the mods saw way more impolite rebuttals than a casual reader would.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 04:44:01 PM »
This is so true. The whole reason no-one saw anything wrong with the forum is because of all the work the mods have done! But the fact that they have to do that work in the first place is wrong, and if the workload of the forum is causing the mods stress, and having to go above and beyond just to keep this place pleasant, then the forum should be archived. The arena is more than a place to talk about FIM, it's our pony home for a lot of us. If the unpleasantness in one sub-forum spread to other areas of the forum because it was tolerated in there (or a few comments got past tired, frustrated mods) then it could ruin the entire forum.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 08:24:10 AM »
To me it would make more sense to ban those members instead of removing an entire part of the forum. That way everyone is getting "punished" for the actions of some.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 08:30:06 AM »
I think the problem was that the presence of the FiM forum was continually attracting troublemakers :( So even banning them would just be a temporary fix.

It is a shame but honestly yeah, I'd rather lose one board than all of them.

Offline FlickaFriend

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 08:56:58 AM »
I think the problem was that the presence of the FiM forum was continually attracting troublemakers :( So even banning them would just be a temporary fix.

This makes sense, and I agree. It's sad that we can't have a subforum and have everyone just be nice, but I understand about attracting troublemakers. FiM fandom is a strange phenomenon.
Keeping on cantering on.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

This makes sense, and I agree. It's sad that we can't have a subforum and have everyone just be nice, but I understand about attracting troublemakers. FiM fandom is a strange phenomenon.

It's also a really hard job to be a moderator, as you get blamed for finding a solution to members who abuse the system or behave badly. You're damned if you do or damned if you don't. The forum I moderated was worse than this for stuff like that, because we had PM abuse, rep abuse to deal with as well as the stuff going on on the forum (and it was a much bigger forum, which the admin had abandoned and so much of which we were not able to change anyway).

I think that to all the FIM fans who weren't on mod status and weren't pushing the limits, its kind of up to you guys to create discussion about FIM in the Corral that doesn't go into those territories, get back the Arena's FIM credibility and maybe encourage other people to join in. THe one thing with the forum being separate is that it creates a restricted and cliqued environment where a lot of the same people can clash over a lot of the same issues. In a broader forum that isn't possible, and maybe that's the aim of the mods overall, because forum etiquette is not too bad in most other areas of the site as far as I can tell.

Not that I think it's important to know who is on mod status nor to point fingers or cast blame, but maybe if the discussions are in the wider forum, more people who didn't like posting in the FIM forum might join in discussions. And maybe some of the people on mod status will also be able to discuss in a more relaxed way. I do genuinely still hope the forum will one day be back with a general intergenerational media discussion emphasis, but that isn't going to be right now. I feel like the FIM fans have been a bit tainted by association because of the troublemaking issue, but all these discussions kind of proves that there are a lot of FIM fans not involved in that, so going forward I guess it's for those people to reestablish FIM's reputation? If that makes sense?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
Makes perfect sense Taffeta, I couldn't agree more :) Maybe someone could make an episode discussion thread or something (is the show on hiatus atm or not? I don't watch it so idk, heh) - I'd make one myself but I don't know what I'd say since I'm not a FiM fan XD

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »
I'm going to start making episode discussion threads on saturdays  :)
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 06:12:33 PM »
Cool^^ I actually discovered this thread when I was looking for discussion threads, I went to catch up and couldn't remember which ep I was up to, so I usually use the threads here to quickly read if it sounds familiar, then jump to the right episode! Once the archive is up it'll be good, I can't be bothered farting around with DVD after DVD to see where I'm up to, or wasting my data on youtube trying to figure it out. I suppose I could always use the wiki, but I know last time the descriptions were super vague, and nothing rung any bells, so I used the arena. Next time I'll have to write it down, or put a sticky note on the disc I'm up to!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 07:04:16 PM »

Yay! :) I've missed the episode discussion threads. Even though I'm not always up to date on the newest episode I enjoyed reading others thoughts and contributing my own after I've seen it.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline FlickaFriend

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »

Yay! :) I've missed the episode discussion threads. Even though I'm not always up to date on the newest episode I enjoyed reading others thoughts and contributing my own after I've seen it.

Ponyfan

Same here.  I'm actually only on Season 1 and I don't think the subforum here started discussion until Season 3 but I'm still looking forward to reading the threads when I finally get there.  At the moment I go to other forums to read comments on S1 episodes as I watch them.  I love reading fan comments episode by episode.
Keeping on cantering on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal