collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fall Book Club (what are you reading?)  (Read 1222 times)

Reiya

• Trade Count: (0)
Fall Book Club (what are you reading?)
« on: August 19, 2017, 12:50:23 PM »
I thought it would be fun to start a “book club” for the Arena! :nerdy: But, this won’t be like a traditional book club. Instead of having every pony read the same book, we can each choose something that interests you as an individual. It can be fiction, nonfiction, a graphic novel, self-help, you name it! There aren’t any deadlines to finish the book be either. This thread will be a place for every one to share what books they are reading, goals/progress, discuss future reading suggestions, and anything interesting they learn/ enjoyable quotes etc.. As a test run, the club will begin now (19th of August) and end on the first (1st) of October.  :read:

To join, make a brief overview of what you are reading and any goals you have. It doesn't have be fancy.

1. I am currently reading The Joy of Less: A Minimalist Guide to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify by Francine Jay.
2. I hope to finish it by September 1st. I’m currently halfway through so I should be able to complete it.
3. So far I have learned about that benefits of decluttering and have begun to take action in my own living space.
4. When I complete this book I would like to start reading In The Company of Secrets by Judith Miller.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:59:11 PM by Reiya »

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Book Club
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »
My taste is in horror, and the stuff I read isn't really mainstream so I don't know if anyone has heard of any of the books on my list, lol.

I'm finishing Depraved 3 by Bryan Smith

My goal is to make a dent in my growing TBR pile, and get back on track with my reading. I like to read ~10 pages a day and I'm like 2 months behind.

Reiya

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:21:05 PM »
My taste is in horror, and the stuff I read isn't really mainstream so I don't know if anyone has heard of any of the books on my list, lol.

I'm finishing Depraved 3 by Bryan Smith

My goal is to make a dent in my growing TBR pile, and get back on track with my reading. I like to read ~10 pages a day and I'm like 2 months behind.

Sounds interesting! I enjoy thrillers and mysteries too. I try to read a chapter or two before bed at night, but still fall behind. :lol:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:01:36 AM »
I read multiple books at the same time on many different subjects!!! Up to 47 this year.

Right now:
1) The Green Berets, by Robin Moore.  This is about the US Marines and their time in Vietnam during the war years. 
2) The Selected Journals of L.M.M. Montgomery Vol II.  The title is pretty obvious but this is a great read of everyday life during 1910-1921.
3) Shackleton, by Roland Huntford.  Another biography, this time about the Antarctic explorer but it is another glimpse into the world during the exact same time as the book above!

I feel like I need a good sci-fi again, but I have so many books on my "to-read" list.  Actually I have three re-usable bags full.  They are lined up in my hallway...
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
Oh, love this idea. A "What are you reading?" thread, like we have that "What are you playing?" in the games cupboard. :D Brilliant! Anyway...

I'm currently reading Citrine, the fourth book in the Date-A-Dragon series.

Once I'm done that I'm thinking of reading On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King.

I'm listening to Sugar, Fat, Salt, a book about the way the food industry uses these things to effect what we buy, on audible.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Reiya

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »
I'm listening to Sugar, Fat, Salt, a book about the way the food industry uses these things to effect what we buy, on audible.

This book is wonderful! I read it about two years ago and remember really enjoying it (then again, I have a degree in nutrition). :P

Offline alaskaallie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Book Club (what are you reading?)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 12:03:40 PM »
I like to read several books at once, but I am not reading anything right this moment  :P Two books which I read recently and really enjoyed:

"Red Sky, Black Death: A Soviet Woman Pilot's Memoir Of The Eastern Front" 
This book was INCREDIBLE. What a story. I felt like I was on the edge of my seat the whole time- I could not believe what she survived, through cleverness and luck and immense determination. The whole time I kept thinking, "and this really happened! It's not an action movie plot! HOW is she alive!". The edition I read was a good translation and the footnotes timely and helpful.

"Heartless" by Marissa Meyer
Say what you want about Marissa Meyer but this book was a really enjoyable read. The Alice in Wonderland setting has been a bit overdone, yes, but the Queen of Hearts is not a character explored very often-even though it's not a particularly new concept it was a fun book in a genre (YA) which seems to have a lot of booooooring remakes.

To be completely honest I will probably re read some Harry Potter for the 457th time instead of starting anything new.... 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:05:16 PM by alaskaallie »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 12:06:47 PM »
I'm not reading anything right now but have several books on my "To be read" list.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 03:05:32 PM »
I finished "Shackleton" but the other two are still lingering on my list.  I don't know if it's because I find them boring, or because I keep finding other books to add to the to-read pile...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 02:37:02 AM »
What I'm currently reading:

"The Roanoke Girls" by Amy Engel - I saw a poster for it in town, thought it looked interesting, and then spotted it on the "New arrivals" shelf in my library. It's an enjoyable read, but not as suspenseful as I would have thought from the blurb and the reviews on the cover. Still, it's early days (I'm about 60 pages in). Maybe the really big plot twists are yet to come.

What I'm looking forward to reading:

"Insidious Intent" by Val McDermid - She's one of my favourite writers, and I've been looking forward to the new Tony Hill / Carol Jordan book almost since I finished the last one. It might take a while till I can read this one, though, as I'm #27 on the library waiting list. Knowing myself, I'll have caved in and bought the book myself by then. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal