collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help With Paint Markers  (Read 366 times)

Offline Motion-Paradox

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Help With Paint Markers
« on: August 29, 2017, 12:08:19 AM »
The list of custom ponies I want to make includes a few that for one reason or another would require changing the pony's colour completely (Keep in mind that all of these are colouring G4 Ponies light pink either from white or a colder and slightly darker shade of pink) and after a bit of research I decided on trying paint markers (I used Deco markers brand since they had the shade of pink I wanted, but I had considered using Molotow and custom mixing it if anyone thinks that brand will work better) since I know dye can look a bit off after a while and after reading the topic on it I decided my idea of using that to get the colour I wanted by dying it brighter and letting it fade wouldn't work. I was a bit worried about repainting it though since full repainted G4 Ponies rarely look right to me; it isn't the brush strokes either, I know how you can avoid them, it's the finish of the paint always being either too glossy or too matte and I don't need to do this enough to justify buying an airbrush.

Either way, I finally did my first test a few days ago and for the most part I was happy with the results; the colour was right, it didn't alter the finish very much, and it would only take a coat or two. But there were two issues I need help with, the first is that there were marker lines produced from the marker head being so small (I know part of it was due to my applying it oddly); I'll have to take it off and redo it anyway because of a few small marks I forgot to wash off so that isn't an issue (Acetone for that, yes? It's a water based paint), but what would be the best way to keep it from happening again? I thought perhaps transplanting the paint into a brush headed marker since the pony is so small it would only take a stroke or two to cover each spot and having a flexible marker head would make it easier to paint in tighter areas. Does anyone know if that would work?

The other issue is it sticks a little bit, but I haven't painted anything in a while so I'm not sure if that's just the texture of the paint, washing it seems to have helped, but if I run my finger over it it doesn't move across as smoothly. Is there anything I can do besides depending on the sealant? If anyone could help that would be great.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Paint Markers
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 04:50:27 PM »
When starting out, I tried deco markers for detailing with some major issues, but the reason for that, I later learned, was due to the paints being oil based. Since you are using water based, I don't have experienced advice, but I found I could correct marker lines by going over the area with less pressure. Acetone should take it off for you if needed. As for the texture/stick, I'm not sure of a solution. I have never been able to or heard if a good way to change a paint's finish. If it is sticky, a top coat of sealent might not even correct it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal