collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are you a sucker for the details?  (Read 1530 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Are you a sucker for the details?
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:55:36 AM »
So after a particularly annoying day dealing with university internet supply, I was monitor-browsing (heh) on ebay, and as I was going through with my usual squinty-scrutinising technique, it occurred to me...

How many people go looking for specific details in ponies, ie variations, and how many don't care?

The thing that made me wonder was seeing a couple of Baby Countalots on auction. She obviously has a known symbol variation, but how many people go looking for that? How many people even notice it when it comes up?

The same could apply to tiny details such as the eye colour on Scandinavian Gusty (still looking for her), the circular China stamps on some Brush and Grows (ditto that xD), UK Cherries Jubilee's silky straight hair and dark symbol, the various colour shade differences in Glowing Magic/Glow & Show Pony bodies and hair (eg Starglow with coral or pink hair, Dazzleglow with aqua or blue hair)...the Lavender Lace variation with Crumpet mould head and so on and so forth.

So what kind of nitpicky details do you look for, or do you genuinely not care so long as the pony is in decent shape? Do you know exactly what variations you have in your collection, or have you never really thought about it? And are you like me in that you scrutinise photos, zoom in on images and look for those tiny little insignificant details that make the pony in the online image stand out?

I'd love to know what people think, and also to see pictures of any nit-picky detail variations you have in your collections, whether it be eye or symbol colour, hair colour, foot stamp, symbol variations, or basically anything that might fly under the radar.

I have used all G1 examples above because that is what I know, but I'd also love to know if there are similar nit-picky variations in other generations. Mane six or Core 7 official rereleases as official separate ponies don't count, and nor do ponies like shy pose and walking pose Confetti, because those were marketed in that way specifically for some reason. I am also not including Nirvana pony variations made in different countries outside of HK/China.

But anything else? I'd love to see or hear what people do :)

Here is a picture to start off, with my Starglows (both originally from the US).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:04:57 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a sucker for the details?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 11:14:02 AM »
I have to be honest - I did not know that there was that much variation!
I just love looking for old G1s, I have my favourites, but also like the challenge to fix-up ones that need that little bit of extra tlc. I don't have a huge herd, perhaps I am not what you would call a "super-serious" collector,  :lol:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »
I don't care about details unless they're very dramatic.  Like a difference in pose.  I don't care about variations in eye shade and stuff like that.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:27:44 AM »
I pay attention to variants on a few ponies. Namely Dazzleglow, Baby Starbow, and Baby Princess Sparkle. But that's because Dazzleglow and Baby Starbow are my favorite G1s and I attempt to gather little armies of them lol. So I want to find little nitpicky things on them. Although with Baby Princess Sparkle it's more that I like one variant significantly more over the other lol.

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »
Oh, I'm a big sucker for variations  :P   My photo albums are riddled with comparison photos.  A lot of the same variations you mentioned are things I like as well. I haven't listed ponies in a long while, but when I did, I always mentioned the variation.   A lot of people may not care, but there are a lot of people that just don't know there are different ones and find it interesting, even if they aren't hunting for them.   

For me, it extends to ponywear too. Lace trim variations, material pattern changes, soft shoes vs hard shoes.

One of my favorite variations are the "fat-head" flutter ponies. The pose is just so different!
REGULAR:

FAT HEAD:

The flutter ponies have wing holder variations too, as well as hair styles. They're all over the place, but each new one I find feels special.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 12:41:39 PM »
I don't intentionally search out variations, but if I get my hands on a variant of a pony I have, I keep her. For example, I have both the shorter, two hair row version of G2 Morning Glory, as well as the slightly taller, one hair row version.

I think that's the only example of a variation I have, outside of separate rereleases of ponies that are different. Don't have any doubles of any G1s or other G2s aside from Morning Glory. All my ponies I have several of for G3 and G4 are different releases of the same characters.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:43:48 PM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 01:23:42 PM »
Hmm.. it depends on the variation honestly. Like, purple eye vs blue eye Majesty - didn't pay attention to that at all when buying mine. Ditto with the small/big head flutters, I'm still not sure which mine are (really need to check one day). But something like small symbol Nachtlicht vs the large symbol version, or Baby Heart Throb w/ winged hearts vs not-winged hearts, I do pay attention to stuff like that.

I am the kind to keep variations if I end up with them, though :)

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 01:30:16 PM »
honestly as someone who wants to own a museam i have to look for variations
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »
I have gotten to like variations more as my collecting goes on, I think.
But they have to be pretty big or so, for me to want to keep both in my collection. Like, an eye-shade difference as Carrehz mentions, and I won't bother, but something big like with the Glow n Shows, and yes I'll keep 'em all! I hope someone owns the 'flying under the radar' examples mentioned on the first post...I didn't even know Count a Lot had a variable. I've got photos, but they're only the 'big stuff' that doesn't count but, I will list more & maybe we'll see:

TAF Scoops:
The HK & China one are a bit different symbol shades but it's fairly noticeable

Baby Starbow:
Sometimes the blue stripe is more into the purple realm

Rockin' Beat:
The one who has a blue stripe, that blue may sometimes be purple-er

Tutti Fruity I think can vary her body shade or something

Baby Cuddles: There can be one that is QUITE blue vs the usual blueish greenish one

Big variables I own:
HK vs China Sherbet Sunday Best (one is VERY plum)
Perfume Puff Dainty Dahlia  (One is pale blue the other quite dark gray strange)
Grayish Sprinkle vs Pink Sprinkle

I also didn't realize the pose difference on the flutter with diff size head. It's quite a big one on how the legs are wider apart.
What's the baby princess Sparkle difference? I didn't realize she had one.

If someone starts posting pics I bet I'll end up with more wanted ponies...which is ok I guess because this is interesting

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 01:47:02 PM »
I have gotten to like variations more as my collecting goes on, I think.
But they have to be pretty big or so, for me to want to keep both in my collection. Like, an eye-shade difference as Carrehz mentions, and I won't bother, but something big like with the Glow n Shows, and yes I'll keep 'em all! I hope someone owns the 'flying under the radar' examples mentioned on the first post...I didn't even know Count a Lot had a variable. I've got photos, but they're only the 'big stuff' that doesn't count but, I will list more & maybe we'll see:

TAF Scoops:
The HK & China one are a bit different symbol shades but it's fairly noticeable

Baby Starbow:
Sometimes the blue stripe is more into the purple realm

Rockin' Beat:
The one who has a blue stripe, that blue may sometimes be purple-er

Tutti Fruity I think can vary her body shade or something

Baby Cuddles: There can be one that is QUITE blue vs the usual blueish greenish one

Big variables I own:
HK vs China Sherbet Sunday Best (one is VERY plum)
Perfume Puff Dainty Dahlia  (One is pale blue the other quite dark gray strange)
Grayish Sprinkle vs Pink Sprinkle

I also didn't realize the pose difference on the flutter with diff size head. It's quite a big one on how the legs are wider apart.
What's the baby princess Sparkle difference? I didn't realize she had one.

If someone starts posting pics I bet I'll end up with more wanted ponies...which is ok I guess because this is interesting

Scoops also has 3 different apron patterns too, by the way ;)

Tutti Fruiti does come in 2 shades and also her yellow mane stripe can be on one side, verses the other.

The different baby Cuddles, I think, is due to China vs Hong Kong manufacturing.

Baby Princess Sparkle can have magenta glitter in her symbol, or dark purple. 

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 01:56:18 PM »
The Tutti Frutti variation seems to relate to Europe vs Uk release. I have the Countalot two, one has abacus beads towards thetail and one towards the mane. Will comeand post some more pictures later though several of mine are on my site.

I had forgotten the fat head Flutters!!

I recently got the Tropical pony unicorn (refusing to use the us name as that belongs to a different pony here)from the US and comparing her with my childhood Sail Away she is darker in shade. That was a new one for me!

@Ashlyne, I have 2 Scoops aprons but what is thethird?

Also want to add Sweetberry Ponies Hk and China, HK Cherry Treats and Raspberry Jam have forelocks but Chinese ones don't
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:03:01 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 02:14:06 PM »
I don't really actively search for different ones, but if I ever do happen to get one, I would love them either way. It's he pony that counts!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
Ok, now on the PC so a few pictures...some are close up images of symbols etc though :/

Baby Count-a-Lot:

The one below I think is the official 'reverse' - she seems to come up less but I have seen several on ebay for low prices xD.

Others include:

Singing/Sweet Pocket:

Tracks/Steamer:

Tutti Frutti:

Rainbow Babies other than Starbow (I don't have the US Brightbow)

Little Rattles/Whiskers:

Dazzleglow :D

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 04:17:58 PM »
I believe both of these are mail order (the right one for sure).   The store release version didn't have the pink-blue-yellow stripes.

Left Scoops is made in Hong Kong.  Right is made in China.   Both came with sets that were supposedly mail order. The one of the left actually had the packing slip and the seller wasn't a collector. So unlikely they got a mis-match of ponies. 

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:19:52 PM by ashlyne »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »
Interesting. I have the yellow stripe one. Another obscure US accessory to look out for. Thanks for the pics.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal