collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Doll cabinets: an adventure  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Caffeinecowgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
Doll cabinets: an adventure
« on: August 21, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
While I do love take pictures of my dolls, the ones that get all the attention are just a handful. The other live in my cabinets.
Every year I try to reorganize/clean everything thoroughly and check on dolls/outfits to make sure both are ok. This is, unfortunately, one of those tasks I LOATHE because it always takes days and I'm not a very patient person... On the other hand, it's not enough to stop me from collecting, so here we go...
Fun facts from this year's adventure (in cleaning :lol:):

- vintage dolls stand the test of time gracefully. My newer ones suffered from plasticizers leaking, floppy limbs and unruly hair. Grrr.
- Japanese dolls seem to age better than their western counterparts... which is hilarious, since they're both made in China or something. Dolly mysteries!
- fake leather disintegrates at light speed... even those fancy FR shoes and purses. Thanks, Integrity.
- Kenners are cute but this vintage lady is cuter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

What about you? Where you display/store your dolls? Do you like to play with each and every or just a handful? Do you have favourites? I'm curious, please share! :)

base by moonflower

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
Re: Doll cabinets: an adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:06:08 PM »
i just got a brand new shelf for my dolls. i dont have many, but they desperately needed a new home since my closet wasnt doing them justice. my vintage dolls are very sturdy! of course they dont stand up on their own like some of my others, but they have no damage after all these years and their clothes are still high-quality.

whoever the photo of the doll is that you posted, she is really really pretty!!!
i don't play with many of my dolls, but i really like changing around their outfits and creating personalities for them.

wishlist

Offline Caffeinecowgirl

• McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 02:29:25 PM »
i just got a brand new shelf for my dolls. i dont have many, but they desperately needed a new home since my closet wasnt doing them justice. my vintage dolls are very sturdy! of course they dont stand up on their own like some of my others, but they have no damage after all these years and their clothes are still high-quality.

Cool! I have a couple LDD from Mezco hanging out on my desk (plus other 1/6 action figures) but my cat loves to knock them down everytime... at least they're sturdy. I'd love to display dolls around but that's pretty impossible, given the situation  :unsure:

whoever the photo of the doll is that you posted, she is really really pretty!!!
i don't play with many of my dolls, but i really like changing around their outfits and creating personalities for them.

Thanks! She's a Judy Littlechap doll from Remco. I love her. :)

Do you also sew for your dolls? I too tend do create personalities for the ones I like the most, then buy a couple outfits that (in my opinion) suit them best... and pretty much leave them in those same clothes forever. :P  If only I knew how to sew it would be funnier, I think...

base by moonflower

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »

Thanks! She's a Judy Littlechap doll from Remco. I love her. :)

Do you also sew for your dolls? I too tend do create personalities for the ones I like the most, then buy a couple outfits that (in my opinion) suit them best... and pretty much leave them in those same clothes forever. :P  If only I knew how to sew it would be funnier, I think...

oh i love Remco ponies, it makes sense they made cute dolls too : )
I have sewn for them in the past, but i havent done it much these days.

sometimes it seems like they write their own personalities, and im just giving them a voice. they are all so unique and its cool seeing what other people interperet the same dolls as?

i also like giving my newer dolls some of the vintage clothes i have, i think it adds a lot of character.

wishlist

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 02:01:00 AM »
My dolls get rather a lot of love. I love making up personalities for them and stories about them; I also enjoy taking photos of them, buying them new clothes, collecting miniature stuff for them to play with, making jewellery for them, just randomly admiring them....
I recently rearranged my display so that (theoretically!) I can now take down any doll without the others all falling over. Previously I felt the girls in the back row didn't get enough attention, because it was such a nuisance getting them out.
I didn't know Remco made dolls as well as ponies! I only have a few vintage dolls, but I love how cute and chubby they are compared to sophisticated and skinny modern day Monster High etc (but of course I love my modern girls too!).

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
I display my favorites- I have 5 Ikea glass shelf units...

I also hate that the fake leather dissolves so quickly. I haven't had any shoes dissolve but purses and bodices absolutely- Integrity and Sybarite, both not cheap.  I actually have some newer Integrity doll clothing that is made out of that same stuff- it looks great now but I know it won't last forever. I wish there was some kind of sealant I could apply to keep it from flaking apart/breaking down...

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 11:52:52 AM »
I wish I was organized enough to have all my babies properly displayed behind glass! As it is, though my dolls are just Everywhere! Like my ponies, plushies and everything else I collect. I do have a couple of china cabinets and a curio full of the more expensive, smaller pieces, but my SmartDolls stay on my art table except when I am traveling (I don't trust my cats so my SDs go under lock and key while I am away!) Also, I hatehatehate dusting and I like the fact that if I'm 'moving and shaking' them, my dolls they aren't collecting dust. XD Ooh, I am lazy! hee hee

I don't mind the chaos too much, though. It just means that some get the attention that the ones behind the glass rarely do...

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »
Re the cracking/flaking fake leather-  I actually did some research and found this really helpful article!

I ordered the fake leather conditioner he recommended, and plan to dig out all my faux leather doll clothes/shoes/bags to treat

https://fauxleatherguide.com/how-to-prevent-faux-leather-from-cracking.html

Offline Caffeinecowgirl

• McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »
Re the cracking/flaking fake leather-  I actually did some research and found this really helpful article!

I ordered the fake leather conditioner he recommended, and plan to dig out all my faux leather doll clothes/shoes/bags to treat

https://fauxleatherguide.com/how-to-prevent-faux-leather-from-cracking.html

Wow, that's interesting! I didn't know such care products exist...
I might give it a try! :)

base by moonflower

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal