collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Peroxide and sun fading.  (Read 427 times)

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
Peroxide and sun fading.
« on: August 20, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »
Hello,

I am currently trying to get rid of brightly pinked coloured lips on a Lavender Lace. I placed her in the sun, wrapped in black cloth (I don't trust tin/aluminum foil as it can leave yellow stains. Her lips are only visible and exposed tot he sun but I honestly can't see much difference yet. She's only been there for about 3 days. I start to wonder if it will work.

I was wondering when you do a peroxide soak. Do you need to take out the hair of the Pony? Because I really don't want to do that. I don't want to take ponies apart and I am not a fan of rehair. Will pony hair be badly effected by hydrogen peroxide? I know that red hair can fade to pink. But what about other colors? Will the soak also affect symbols and eyes? I am so scared to try it. Same goes for the body color. Does it fade the body colour to a lighter shade? I have two off white ponies that used to be white, I want them to be bright white again but they have blue hair.

I need some tips and knowledge before I start doing this.

Thank you.

My wish list: Click here!.

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
Re: Peroxide and sun fading.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 07:03:28 PM »
3 days is nothing.  I have had a pony sitting out back for the last two weeks because of a orange highlighter incident.  The marks have only started to fade.  The further you are from the equator, the longer it takes because the UV rays are weaker.  I don't know enough about hydrogen peroxide to give solid advice, but can tell you a couple things.  There are different concentrations, stronger ones can be found at beauty shops.  Hydrogen peroxide breaks down so you need to change it out every few days if it takes that long.
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
Yeah, I've had ponies sit in the Texas sun, and it still took a few months to see any sort of improvement. You have to be patient, I'm afraid.

Also, im no expert - didn't know that about foil, huh! - but is black cloth sufficient for sunfading? I feel cloth might be too thin and black too attractive of sunlight to properly shield a pony from damage, but I could be wrong. Anyone have any idea?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 12:47:03 AM »
I just don't trust tinfoil eventhough I read about people not having any issues, but I also read a lot about it leaving brown/yellowed bodies on Ponies. Which is logical if you think about it. I don't know if you ever wrapped fish or a potatoe in tilfoil and leave it on the BBQ. When you take off the tinfoil it will be stained brown on the inside because of the heat. The sun will have the sam eeffect as it is heat as well. Paper towels seem too thin for me. Also, if you leave paper towels in the sun it turns yellow as well.

The black cloth I use is made of cotton and I wrap it around the Pony several times so it's protected very well. Black or white shouldn't really matter I think.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Anyone can give me more insight on the peroxide?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:55:50 AM by Pierlala »
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 06:54:19 AM »
only danger with black cloth is the dye can possibly leach out and stain the pony more!  :(  happens with dolls ALL THE TIME.

You can treat the cloth to set the dye by soaking it in vinegar for a day or so, then wash and the color will be set.  But I would honestly use white cotton over black! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal