collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First time pony spa (Posey) PHOTOS NOW WORKING!! (warning: graphic)  (Read 2270 times)

Offline FlickaFriend

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
** photos transferred to imgur and now working with no weirdos following me. yay **

Hi everyone,

Warning this post includes graphic images of a decapitated G1 pony and her decaying innards, which some may find distressing.

I had ponies as a child in the 80s but just started collecting a few weeks ago. Thanks all who have made me so welcome. One of my favourites is Posey but she came to me in a very neglected state, poor girl and it looks as if she may have had some baths or swimming adventures in her career.  She has a serious case of tail rust and was very grubby looking (much worse than appears in the photo), with suspiciously opaque feet and some random blobs of red nail varnish on her face.  Her mane was nice and silky (although forelock a bit wild) but her tail was completely tangled and dry.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Her head popped off easily -- but, YUCK!!! Full of disgustingness which scattered everywhere (didn't get a photo of that bit), most of it had already fallen out when I took these photos which do not capture the full horror. Don't click on spoiler if eating your lunch:

Spoiler

I managed to ease out her tail from the inside, thick as it was with rust.

Then, using a baby toothbrush and a mild organic lavender body wash I scrubbed out as much mould and rust as I could.  Cotton buds and pipe cleaners weren't long or strong enough to really clean the inner hooves though. I did what I could with my fingers and nails and by cruelly straightening her bent legs.  I guess I should look for a very small bottle brush for future deep cleans.

I don't know how safe nail varnish remover is on pony skin?  So don't shoot me. But I risked it
with a tiny amount of acetone-free forumlation and gently lifted off the two splodges of red nail varnish, quickly rinsing off afterwards.

I was only partially successful with the tail, using several applications of whitening toothpaste and working it in well with my fingers. Some of the remaining colour is actually traces of the original pale pink though. 

I detangled the tail using a gentle detangling brush and mild conditioner. I was pleased by how well the tangles came out but will need to give a deeper condition using something stronger (Pantene? I see is used by some?).

I soaked the tail washer in vinegar overnight and scrubbed off the rust with aluminium tin foil, then when dry I gave it a couple of coats of clear varnish to prevent further corrosion.

Here she is drying on my windowsill.

I was very paranoid about any water being left inside so dried her inside down to the hooves with clean dry pipe cleaners and left her in the breeze from the open window.

Here she is, clean and dry before re-assembly:

Close up of the tail with the cleaned and varnished washer:

The tail is still quite dried out and frizzy at the ends so will need further work.

Here's her lovely clean face:

Hooves gleaming, tail swishing:

I love her so much!!! Does anyone else find that cleaning and caring for their ponies makes them bond with them? She wasn't my favourite of the herd before, but she definitely is now.  :inlove:

Am I crazy that I actually think she looks a little bit happier and is carrying herself just a little more proudly?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:13:06 PM by FlickaFriend »
Keeping on cantering on.

ShimmerShine

• Trade Count: (0)
She cleaned up so nicely! :biggrin:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
It is wonderful how a bath can change a pony. She cleaned up rather nicely!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline centaurette

• Captain Jack Pony
  • i'm preparing to shine... from the inside, out!
    • View Profile
omg i love that you warned that it was graphic, seriously! it really upsets me when people post things like that without a warning; ponies have feelings, people!! Getting back on track, this looks amazing and you did such a stunning job! Posey is very lucky to have you! She looks great and this really inspires me to get the courage to do this to a few of my ponies! :hope:

Offline FlickaFriend

• View Profile
omg i love that you warned that it was graphic, seriously! it really upsets me when people post things like that without a warning; ponies have feelings, people!! Getting back on track, this looks amazing and you did such a stunning job! Posey is very lucky to have you! She looks great and this really inspires me to get the courage to do this to a few of my ponies! :hope:

Oh bless you, that's adorable.  I think she liked it.  It can't have been nice having all that crusty stuff inside and all that rust clogging up her tail.  I was gentle with her, too.

You should give it a go, it was therapeutic!
Keeping on cantering on.

lostpony

Beautiful job!

She does  look happier and rightfully proud to have such a caring owner.

*I leave the tail-washers out.  They're piling up in my pony toolbox.  I've replaced them with nylon washers or even just made sure the tail crimp is sideways so the tail stays in.  Many people put a tie-wrap on there instead.  You definitely put a lot of work into restoring and preserving that original hunk of nasty iron there.  You're right, dryness inside is very important!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
I do the same thing with the washers, but I also cover them with a layer of clear packing tape also before adding the tail back.  I just can't seem to let myself remove the original parts to MLP G1's.    You did a great job.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline FlickaFriend

• View Profile
Thanks lostpony and Tulagirl. I'm glowing from your praise  :blush:

I actually decided to take the washer out completely today. In certain lights you can see it as a dark shadow around her tail, not really a good look. I don't think the tail can pop out . I will keep the washer in a safe place though. I too believe in conserving original parts.

I've bought some cable ties but I think she is fine for now.

I was cuddling her today. Seriously what is happening to me?!

P.s. I'm so glad not to be a "drink n wet" pony anymore, or a (shudder) Macdonald's pony!!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:00:02 PM by FlickaFriend »
Keeping on cantering on.

Offline centaurette

• Captain Jack Pony
  • i'm preparing to shine... from the inside, out!
    • View Profile

Oh bless you, that's adorable.  I think she liked it.  It can't have been nice having all that crusty stuff inside and all that rust clogging up her tail.  I was gentle with her, too.

You should give it a go, it was therapeutic!

i think i will! just when i think i get up the courage to pop their cute heads off... i can't do it! my boyfriend has kindly offered, hopefully soon i'll take him up on it! i think having their heads popped off might not be as bad as having a body full of mold and gross stuff! thank you again for sharing, you were so super thorough and she's shining ear to ear (hoof to hoof?)! what a cutie!

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Aww, poor Posey. You did a beautiful job fixing her up.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: First time cleaning a pony (G1 Posey) - so bonding!!! (warning: graphic)
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »
She looks great now - definitely a labour of love to take a grimy Posey and give her back her pride.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Goanna

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »
Awww, how sweet! I think you are right- Posey does look like she has an extra spring in her step after being tidied up :heart:

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 07:06:27 PM »
she looks awesome!!! its always touching to see how ponies can really sparkle after a good bath <3

wishlist

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »
Flickr says the photos are no longer available :(
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline FlickaFriend

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 10:00:02 AM »
Flickr says the photos are no longer available :(

Oh dear, sorry.  I think I've fixed it now.  Thank you for letting me know sd_dreamcrystal.

Could someone please let me know if the photos are appearing OK again now?  They never disappeared for me so I can't test it.

Off topic: The reason I made photos private in Flickr is that my photo of Posey in pieces was "favourited" by a random person and when I had a look at his favourites gallery there were a lot of explicit/offensive images in there.  Goodness only knows what he was doing favouriting dear Posey.  I've blocked him, but not very comfortable on Flickr now.  Think I need to find another imaging hosting service now that Photobucket have changed their policy.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:02:34 AM by FlickaFriend »
Keeping on cantering on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal