collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to bake sculpy on a G1 body?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
    • my collection catalog (IG)
Re: How to bake sculpy on a G1 body?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 08:43:36 AM »
A lot of the "baits" I'm restoring are missing pieces. Entire legs, ears, horns, parts of faces, etc. I'm comfortable with using sculpy from other art projects and know it can be used for custom ponies, so I figure it will work here. Could someone point me in the right direction when it comes to solidifying the material onto the body? I don't want to melt the original pieces. Thank you!

I learned a trick about sculpy years ago. I was doing a cosplay and trying to create a sculpy buckle directly on a leather belt--which I obviously couldn't put in the oven! I found a solution online: if you boil a big pot of water on top of the stove, you can dunk the sculpy in the boiling water and that will 'cook' it exactly the same as if you cooked it in the oven. It worked great for my cosplay!

I never tried it with a pony, but I am betting this would be a safe alternative to baking a pony in the oven. Best to try with an experimental one first, though. :)

I'll try this out and report back! Thanks.
You can see my collection on InstaGram @ mylittELLEpony  :lovey:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: How to bake sculpy on a G1 body?
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 01:57:32 PM »
I would just get some apoxie sculpt.

The problem with sculpty is that it can slump when it gets too hot, or burn, or move, and it is also pretty brittle, and also you'll have to glue the clay again once it is baked- because once dry it won't necessarily stick to your pony as well. Also it seems heavier to me than apoxie.

Apoxie-sculp air dries and doesn't change shapes- it is sticky, but you can use gloves- and you can smooth it with water.  Also it sands very well and dries VERY hard.  And since it is essentially sculptable glue, you don't have to worry about it sticking once dry.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal