collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to bake sculpy on a G1 body?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
    • my collection catalog (IG)
How to bake sculpy on a G1 body?
« on: August 15, 2017, 07:20:26 AM »
A lot of the "baits" I'm restoring are missing pieces. Entire legs, ears, horns, parts of faces, etc. I'm comfortable with using sculpy from other art projects and know it can be used for custom ponies, so I figure it will work here. Could someone point me in the right direction when it comes to solidifying the material onto the body? I don't want to melt the original pieces. Thank you!
You can see my collection on InstaGram @ mylittELLEpony  :lovey:

artful_fox_customs

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How to bake sculpy on a G1 body?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »
I've talked with others who use oven bake clay on ponies, and they say to just keep a close eye on them while they are baking. I'm currently sculpting on a g3 with fimo, so I'm just going to be watching the doll as she bakes.

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »
I've talked with others who use oven bake clay on ponies, and they say to just keep a close eye on them while they are baking. I'm currently sculpting on a g3 with fimo, so I'm just going to be watching the doll as she bakes.

Oh man this gives me such anxiety  :lol:!

artful_fox_customs

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
Oh you'll be fine!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »
What about air dry clay?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

artful_fox_customs

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »
What about air dry clay?

I normally use air dry clay, but I don't like the time restraint that goes along with it. But there are similar products that is kind of a mix of both which is Miliput and Apoxie scuplt.

Offline noxluc

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:33:47 PM »
i only use air dry clay to be on the safe side haha
you can get a smooth complexion by rubbing water on it

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 12:46:05 PM »
Favorite air dry clay?  :biggrin:

Offline noxluc

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »

i use a doll clay, those are the ones who turn out the smoothest at least in my experience  :biggrin:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »

i use a doll clay, those are the ones who turn out the smoothest at least in my experience  :biggrin:

Is there a specific brand that works better than others or are they all about the same?

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »
A lot of artists here use Apoxie Sculpt, which is a 2-part epoxy resin clay that air dries, and I have had good results using it myself.  It is pricey, but the problem with cheap air-dry clays is that they are not as smooth and have more shrinkage.

It is possible to use oven-bake polymer clays with ponies, since they cure at a relatively low temperature, but it is important not to go over the recommended temperature, and to support the pony on foil or something like that to where it is not touching the baking pan or rack directly.  I also recommend keeping it right in the middle of the oven, where it won't be too close to the heating elements.  As others have said, watch it carefully.  I had a pony deform on me once, but she was directly on the baking pan, and I may have had her in there too long.  The last time I used polymer clay (patching a chewed hoof recently), I put the pony on a bed of foil elevated off the baking sheet and it worked fine.

Offline noxluc

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »

Is there a specific brand that works better than others or are they all about the same?

i use a local brand so i dont know much about the different brands thats out there.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 05:47:47 PM »
Apoxie Sculpt tends to get the most recc's, and like others of its ilk (Miliput, Green Stuff) are more accurately called 'room temperature curing' than 'air dry' - the curing can be accelerated with heat and slowed down with cold.   You can usually work with them for hours before they're too far set. 

They're safer for restorations than using oven curing clay since you don't risk burning your poor ponies in the process.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline the_ether

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 02:47:50 AM »
Green Stuff and epoxy clays are verrrry different textures. Green Stuff is more plasticky but can hold very fine detail, epoxy clay can still be very detailed but is more 'clay-y' in texture. Either would probably work for restorations but epoxy would be my preference.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 07:47:55 AM »
A lot of the "baits" I'm restoring are missing pieces. Entire legs, ears, horns, parts of faces, etc. I'm comfortable with using sculpy from other art projects and know it can be used for custom ponies, so I figure it will work here. Could someone point me in the right direction when it comes to solidifying the material onto the body? I don't want to melt the original pieces. Thank you!

I learned a trick about sculpy years ago. I was doing a cosplay and trying to create a sculpy buckle directly on a leather belt--which I obviously couldn't put in the oven! I found a solution online: if you boil a big pot of water on top of the stove, you can dunk the sculpy in the boiling water and that will 'cook' it exactly the same as if you cooked it in the oven. It worked great for my cosplay!

I never tried it with a pony, but I am betting this would be a safe alternative to baking a pony in the oven. Best to try with an experimental one first, though. :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal