collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cheapest shipping from the US to U.K.?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline BabyKittenCandy

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Cheapest shipping from the US to U.K.?
« on: August 12, 2017, 01:29:46 AM »

It's been a while since I've been buying I'll admit but I'm sure there was a cheaper way to ship ponies! I've been quoted like $35.00 to ship 3 ponies which seems a bit on the pricy side. Any help appreciated!

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
Re: Cheapest shipping from the US to U.K.?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 01:49:14 AM »
Hmm that is quite a lot. I know USPS charges quite a bit to ship to here in the UK, so it may be about right.
Always found their prices to be far too much especially as we can ship the same size parcel from uk to usa for half the price. (and thats still with tracking)

Just tried to look and its around $33 USD that came up, not sure if im looking at the right thing or not though.

Don't forget about our UK customs/vat when ordering from outside EU.
Our limit is £15 (usually including shipping cost although sometimes they don't count the shipping cost, just be prepared for it) anything over £15, you will be charge 20% on top of the price of the items & price of shipping. Royal mail also charge £8 (think its still £8) for shipping and handling
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 04:23:17 AM »
That sounds like they're quoting you for a flat rate Priority box.  First Class would be $22.50 (possibly less if they're smaller ponies), but your seller may not want to use that since there is no insurance on the package that way.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »
There are 2 main shipping options from the US to anywhere else in the world (from usps) : First Class or Priority. We have had a lot of increases in postage costs over the last few years. First class used to be very reasonable not so long ago. Now First Class starts at about $14-15. Priority (if you are not using a flat rate package) starts in the $40+ range. The best deal for Priority is the Padded Flat Rate Envelope which can fit up 5-6 adult ponies for about $35.

First class does not guarantee the customs label will be scanned for tracking. Sometimes it is, sometimes it is not. Priority includes tracking until it leaves the US and typically to the final destination in most countries, as well as insurance for no extra charge. With PayPal and eBay typically siding with the buyer anytime there's a dispute, many sellers in the US have turned to only offering Priority for international shipping so there is some sort of reliable tracking.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 10:51:23 AM »
The insane rise in USPS prices and the shift towards sellers preferring to ship with tracking has actually driven me to look at pony buying from the US in a new way. If there are specific ponies I want, I am now looking for them in lots of ponies with the GSP option. Because I hate GSP and it takes twice as long but when you do the maths and you realise you're paying $30 shipping on 20 ponies, 4 of which you need and 16 of which you can then resell to recoup that money, and the import duty is not actually that high compared with what we get at the border now with the current £ rate, it makes weird sense. It's not great for my storage capacity, but I've got some really nice pony additions lately via that and by selling the extra ponies I've recouped all the GSP fees and some of my outlay. I've basically been able to add 14 ponies that I wasn't able to get through any other method...if I had done this for every single loose pony I'd have paid 2x as much and got only about half. Most of that outlay would have been on shipping. Ponies are not more expensive. Postage is crazy.

It's insane that it's come to this, but I don't see any other way to buy from the US now. It's like $50 sometimes for one pony on ebay, in a really bad currency conversion climate :/

Of course, I don't trust GSP with mint in package items and they have almost lost half of one lot this summer, but all in all it works out more economical.

Mind you I keep getting outbid on lots with the silky haired Baby Bright Bow in. That's driving me a bit nuts because buying her loose on her own is actually looking to be more expensive :/

Obviously that all doesn't necessarily apply to Arena purchases, depending on the tracking rule.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
The incorrect word in your post title is "Cheapest".  Not really such a thing anymore.  :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline BabyKittenCandy

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:01:35 PM »

Thank-you all for your help and input, it's very appreciated!  It's actually a private sale I did and the person I brought from quoted me so much that I had him post them to a friend to ship on to me. She is happy to ship them however I'd like just wasn't sure if there was a better way than priority. It's definitely gonna make me re think buying from the states! :(

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
It's definitely gonna make me re think buying from the states! :(

The crazy costs of postage has really put a damper on international transactions.  :cloud: I've been collecting online since the 90's & was always happy to buy, sell, & trade with anyone in any country. For the last few years, I primarily only ship within the US & Canada because shipping elsewhere isn't cost effective for most international buyers. (Not to mention receiving nasty replies from multiple would-be buyers in response to shipping quotes which has kind of put me off of even offering international shipping to anyone I don't know from the community. >_<)

I know some collectors have organized bulk shipping where all of their US purchases go to a friend in the US, then get forwarded in one large package. It's not really helpful for one-off purchases, but it definitely makes sense for collectors that are very active in purchasing & don't mind waiting a bit for their items.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal