collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Closing the FiM forum  (Read 6971 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Closing the FiM forum
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »
I think this has to do with that this site is supposed to be for collectors.

So there isn't supposed to be discussion about the 80's cartoon anywhere on the Arena? Or the 80's movie? Or MLP fanart? Or customs? There's a LOT more to the Arena than just collectors. There is artists, analysts, mothers who want to discuss what their children are watching, people who come here looking for info on new eps and movies.

We have an Off Topic forum that has nothing to do with toy collecting at all. We have a Dollhouse section for people who collect dolls that aren't MLP. But we can't have a place to discuss a cartoon that is a legitimate part of the MLP franchise?
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 12:46:11 PM »
Can't we have just one FiM-centered thread in the forum that is stickied?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 01:30:04 PM »
Edited: Oh you already said that. :blush:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:47:39 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MidnightRarity

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • G4 Collector!
    • View Profile
    • Midnight Rarity YT
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »
I don't know the reason, so my assumptions are only just assumptions, but here's my take on this decision:

Alienating fans from a certain generation might make them feel unwelcome, thus causing to either lose that group's traffic to the site, which isn't a very smart decision. It's better to keep the forum there so people won't leave, and also like someone above mentioned- the forum's corral section, and other sections will become more cluttered, and harder to navigate through. It'll make things more harder for people, which isn't a smart choice.

Mods, why not try and come to an agreement with the people in these forums, or at least allow discussion and input from other members to see what's the best decision on this topic?

(I'm trying to be as respectful! Hopefully everything gets sorted out! :) )
Hello! :D

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 01:42:27 PM »
Or maybe we could have an all purpose MLP  Media Thread to discuss shows, movies and comics Past, Present and possibly Future as a viable alternative instead?

Offline MidnightRarity

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • G4 Collector!
    • View Profile
    • Midnight Rarity YT
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 01:45:16 PM »
Or maybe we could have an all purpose MLP  Media Thread to discuss shows, movies and comics Past, Present and possibly Future as a viable alternative instead?
This could also work!
Hello! :D

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »
First, my assumptions are also, of course, just assumptions.

But I assume that if some of us, myself included, had been better behaved this wouldn't have been an issue. 

I'm glad so many are speaking out because this really has been my pony home and like so many before me, the staff here has helped me improve my manners (somewhat) and I hope it will still be a welcoming place even for those who come in here needing to improve their manners.

The rest of the Internet is a real drag where every conversation is loaded with personal attacks and as much as we've squabbled or told each other what to think here in the FiM forum, I don't think we've had a lot of personal attacks and I don't want to go out there where that's the norm, to discuss my cartoon.

Nonetheless, I hope we can also prepare for the decision to stand? and figure out a place we can go for conversation about the show where we'll see each other so we don't have to be among all-new people.  I have no idea where that would be and don't want to end up with no where to talk about FiM except in the middle of a bunch of bronies that are going to give me a hard time if I dare mention G1.  I'll end up watching Blank Flank review the episodes on YouTube and nothing else.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 02:19:14 PM »
I don't have Facebook, closing this to people who don't have it is just wrong.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cloud: :sad: :cloud: :sad:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »
The reason we are closing it is this:

It's too much work.
Half the members who post in the FiM section are on moderated status, which means that every post of theirs has to be checked before it is posted.
Most of those members post nowhere else on the board, or if they do, they are still moderated.

This forum was always going to be on a trial basis, however, we've given it 5 years. Every one of our Mod team who has tried to run it has being ill with the stress.
That's not what the Arena is about. And of course, this will encourage the flurry of "I'M HAPPY TO RUN IT! PICK ME" comments, but this forum has become toxic.

The Corral will not fill with FiM topics, because, as I said, we will be allowing a few threads.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 04:03:20 PM »
Sorry Loa.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 04:46:16 PM »

I was going to suggest something like this. I remember LM talking about it being hard to discuss G1 animation in the Corral and lostpony also raised stuff about pmvs for G1 and more cross-generationa media. This might be an opportunity to look at that.

On another note, I think the reaction to this is aimed in the wrong direction. I've been a mod on a forum and it's a thankless horrible task where you are blamed for everything and thanked for almost nothing. If a member behaves badly and a thread is locked, it's the mod's fault, not the member who caused the trouble. Here it feels like because people are on moderation, the mods are overworked dealing with those posts. But there's not a lot of responsibility being taken by the people involved in disputes that led to moderation status.

As someone with no interest in G4 FIM, I am worried about the FIM discussion moving in any capacity to the Corral. People are complaining about being driven out of the Arena and it not being inclusive yada yada but even the Corral is a multigenerational forum at this point. It deals with all kinds of discussion on all kinds of topics, not specifically G1, or toys. There is scarce little space on the Arena dedicated to G1 or the older generations outside of G4. To my mind G4 has the most available space of any generation on this forum already. If the FIM section goes, it means G4 is brought to the same status as all other generations. There are no special forums for G1 animation, G3 animation, G1 comics or anything along those lines. True, Nirvana is predominately G1 but Nirvana is a very select sport overall.

A mixed media forum might be the solution to this and also allow more cross-generational chat and more threads for the G1 animaton discussion. But the real crux problem is that members should not need to be on moderation when discussing stuff, even in heated disagreements. The mods are being blamed for doing their job, but unless people take responsibility for how they post (and I don't know who those people on moderation are or what happened to get to that point) this is never going to be really fixed. I think it's more a matter of how people act when discussing FIM on here than a problem with the FIM show itself being discussed.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
    • my collection catalog (IG)
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 05:04:52 PM »
I've also moderated forums before and can understand where the mods are coming from. They're not saying they're banning all discussion of G4 or the show. It feels like some of the comments here feel like G4 fans are being pushed out, but there is SO MUCH discussion of G4 stuff all over the arena and probably always will be. Only one section is closing.
You can see my collection on InstaGram @ mylittELLEpony  :lovey:

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 05:16:33 PM »
I've also moderated forums before and can understand where the mods are coming from. They're not saying they're banning all discussion of G4 or the show. It feels like some of the comments here feel like G4 fans are being pushed out, but there is SO MUCH discussion of G4 stuff all over the arena and probably always will be. Only one section is closing.

And that's what we think. We're not banning discussion, we limiting the discussion on the nit-picky "ZOMG DID YOU SEE THAT ELBOW OF A PONY IN A  FREEZE FRAME IN SEASON 42, EPISODE 12, SECOND 92?!1!!!"  . We're not pushing fans out - we want them to branch out themselves!
This forum is all absorbing, and I've had mods quit and have panic attacks over it. Good people going white haired! Bekuno was a teenager when she started working in here, and now she's a octogenarian.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
    • my collection catalog (IG)
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »

And that's what we think. We're not banning discussion, we limiting the discussion on the nit-picky "ZOMG DID YOU SEE THAT ELBOW OF A PONY IN A  FREEZE FRAME IN SEASON 42, EPISODE 12, SECOND 92?!1!!!"  . We're not pushing fans out - we want them to branch out themselves!
This forum is all absorbing, and I've had mods quit and have panic attacks over it. Good people going white haired! Bekuno was a teenager when she started working in here, and now she's a octogenarian.

It is VERY stressful moderating forums. I've never modded anything as big as the arena. You all deserve all expense paid vacations. I think closing one section to ease your load and try to integrate fans so we can become closer as a community is a win/win for everyone here. Thank you for all that you do.
You can see my collection on InstaGram @ mylittELLEpony  :lovey:

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »

It is VERY stressful moderating forums. I've never modded anything as big as the arena. You all deserve all expense paid vacations. I think closing one section to ease your load and try to integrate fans so we can become closer as a community is a win/win for everyone here. Thank you for all that you do.

It is. I have modded a site which was actually worse than the Arena, both in size and behaviour, and seriously, never again.

I think it would be nice if some of the people who post about FIM came and joined in discussion on other shows and other stuff and included themselves in the outside area. I feel like it's more a case of people complaining the site isn't inclusive because their exclusive limited area of the site might go, rather than actually exploring beyond the limits of that space.

I am still worried about FIM in the Corral and how that will work. I suspect there will be threads posted that have to be removed or merged and the same issues with transpire in those threads that exist in the FIM forum. The only difference is that it will be all over the Corral, which is frankly the ONLY place on the forum where anything mainstream G1 can be discussed. I am fine with an intergenerational Corral, but I think that it would be great if the mods looked at a potential space for intergenerational media discussions going forward.

I think there is a rationale for that to exist and it would open up possibilities of sharing media across generations. FIM discussions could still exist but to a more controlled degree. G1 and G3 media discussions could also exist there. People making multimedia like lostpony was talking about could also go into that kind of a section. Discussion on TV commercials too, perhaps. Who knows?

It might not work out, but given that the Corral is already so busy, is there no possibility of this being considered as a "thing" going forward? The Arena stands out as an intergenerational site where all are welcome. To that end surely an intergenerational media discussion area with strict guidelines on threads would be something that would give the FIM people their space as well as inviting more G1 media stuff and crossovers?

That would also allow the Corral to be more involved with the toy aspect of all generations without putting anyone's noses out of joint.

Can the mods be bribed with cookies to consider this in some capacity going forward?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal