collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dyeing ponies  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Dyeing ponies
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:14:32 PM »
I've understood that generally dyeing ponies with dyes like rit dye isn't recommended for customs, but I'd like to see some examples why. Are there any pictures of dyed ponies changing color or going bad in a different way?

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Dyeing ponies
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:25:01 PM »
I don't have a picture but I dyed a G3 "Design Your Own Blank Pony" grey many years ago and after a few months it started fading.  It faded unevenly I think due to the variations in the thickness of the plastic.  I ended up doing a full body repaint over it because it just looked sad.

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:25:27 AM »
Dyeing can be tricky, and the colors tend to fade over time (there is a thread further down about this).  It can be difficult to get the exact shade you want.  Some dyes do not work with plastic.  Also, if there is oil or glue on the plastic, the dye may not "take" evenly.  G4s do not dye well because the heads and bodies are made of different kinds of plastic that absorb the dye differently.  Some plastic colors do not dye well, and the original color of the plastic "mixes" with the dye color in the final result.  So you couldn't dye a pink pony green, for example (the result would be like mixing green and pink paint).  The dye can also transfer to other ponies and to clothing/accessories if the custom is not sealed.

That being said, if you are very careful in prepping and cleaning your bait and dye carefully, it is possible to successfully dye a pony.  This can create a more "original" look than a FBR if done well.  It is a good idea to let your bait sit a few months to see if/how it fades, and keep it out of direct sunlight to minimize fading.  I have had success with dyeing, as have other customizers I know.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:57:08 PM »
Ill try to post some pics of mine later today... almost all of them look super awful, really. I had dyed them with RitDye, cannot not reccomend to use it!
My custom Baby Shady had a vibrant pink, now shes kinda dull greyish-purple-pink. What a pity, she looked so nice. Dyed Gingerbrad was a nice color of purple, now shes got shades under her eyes making her look like she hasnt slept for years. Plus her body has turned into a greyish purple. *sigh*
The only one that still looks nice is Sweet Stuff... I throw her into black rit dye, with hair and everything. Her hair is still super black and shiny, her body has turned to dark grey but it looks kinda cool :P

I have dyed some G3 too and some of them came out super stripey and ugly. They didnt take the dye too good :/

All were prepped well and for a couple of years they looked nice but now its been a long time and they start to look ugly.
Well, trying to post pics later!

Post Merge: August 12, 2017, 10:10:28 PM

Back with a pic!

So, before (2010)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

and after (2017)

Original : http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de/zeigen/babyshady3.jpg

The lighting is a little softer in the first pic, it was afternoon when I took it. The new pic is from this morning. YOu can see it on Shady herself, she looks a bit darker but not too much.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:10:34 PM by Einhornbaby »

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 07:27:52 AM »
I read this thread last night and I have been thinking about it during the day. You see I have some ponies that are in such terrible shape that customising them is the only option. However I would prefer not to paint them as I do not like the visible brush strokes. So I would prefer to dye if possible. That lead me to wonder why some people have had success with dyeing and others not so much. What is the difference?

Einhornbaby - Baby Shady looked amazing in the beginning! So sad that she didn't stay that way. Did you use hot water or cold water dye?

Offline Doedeardarling

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:05:31 AM »
Thank you for pictures and comments! I wonder what makes the dye so unstable. I also wonder if there are real success stories at all or if it's all just a matter of time.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 10:53:39 AM »
I know that g1s do not hold dye especially well - I've seen several fade pretty badly. I have quite a few dyed g3 customs though, some of which are 5+ years old, and they seem to be holding up pretty well. There's some fading, but it's not drastic and it's even. As for ponies I've dyed myself, well... I have no idea because all by one of my dyed customs now live elsewhere.

The only comparison pic I have is this girl. Here she is brand new

And this photo was taken just over 2 years later

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »
Blimy! Einhornbaby that is quite a dramatic change in colour and what a shame :(

I've dyed a few ponies over the years and had trouble getting the dye even and getting the head and body to match.

I have a baby custom who is dyed black and she's started to fade to a patchy brown colour :(

Also be warned, the colour can transfer and bleed onto other ponies if displayed next to them :(

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 11:41:59 AM »
I have used RIT both successfully and very Unsuccessfully. I won't use it anymore unless I am wanting to create gradients in places that I know I won't be painting like legs, ears, nose and only if I feel that the colours will fade nicely. I have had a couple of my customs look absolutely terrible after a couple of years due to fading and bleeding. Lemme see if I can find any pics of the specific one I am thinking of...

Okay, well I give That search up! XD Anyways, I don't recommend using RIT to dye. If you are only worried about brushstrokes I would recommend using a sponge technique to do a smooth FBR; I used this technique for these ponies and they turned out quite nicely,

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Anyways, hope that was helpful, if not quite what you were looking for. :P

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Doedeardarling

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 11:52:50 AM »
I have used RIT both successfully and very Unsuccessfully. I won't use it anymore unless I am wanting to create gradients in places that I know I won't be painting like legs, ears, nose and only if I feel that the colours will fade nicely. I have had a couple of my customs look absolutely terrible after a couple of years due to fading and bleeding. Lemme see if I can find any pics of the specific one I am thinking of...

Okay, well I give That search up! XD Anyways, I don't recommend using RIT to dye. If you are only worried about brushstrokes I would recommend using a sponge technique to do a smooth FBR; I used this technique for these ponies and they turned out quite nicely,

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Anyways, hope that was helpful, if not quite what you were looking for. :P

They look lovely. I think I will be trying sponge technique in the future.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 06:21:04 AM »
One thing that I do want to experiment with is using some of the newer dyes that I've seen come out that are designed for synthetic materials. I know they can work wonders for dying pony hair. I just haven't had time to work on ponies lately - but it may be time to pull my dye pot out from the closet and do some science!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »
Those customs are so gorgeous! Thank you for sharing them! The sponge technique is something to look in to certainly. But wouldn't it be wonderful if we could discover a way of successfully dyeing ponies?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal