collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Peru purple hair variant?  (Read 3896 times)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: Peru purple hair variant?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 07:10:20 AM »
I've been stalking this thread. Well, I bought the Peru Posey pictured in the initial post from Maycrest, who arrived a few days after the thread started. I did notice the different shade of purple hair in the auction pic, but thought it was just the lighting or the camera.

I bought her as a slight upgrade, but if she's a rehair I think I will send her back. I don't collect rehairs or customs, even old rehairs from doll hospitals. If you guys are certain that she's a doll hospital rehair, I think I'll send her back.

So are you pretty sure?

I didn't open her up, as I don't like breaking neck seals. I've never done customs and can't really tell from the weave anyway.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 03:05:16 PM »
I must admit when I saw the auction on first glance it looked like bad lighting to me too! It was only after more careful examination and this thread I noticed she was indeed a dark purple rather than the light purple.

Is her head glued on? My Peru's have loose heads :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 12:12:55 AM »
Yeah, it's glued.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »
Do you have any other Peru ponies you can compare her way th? How does the texture of the hair feel? Do your other Peru ponies have glued heads?

What do others think?

Love pkw xxx

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 12:25:29 AM »
To be fair Kelly yfeathers unless you look your never going to know for sure. I always check my ponies hair for factory weaves. 7 times over I have been sold expensive undisclosed rehair some of these had there heads glued back on to look factory sealed. A few rehairs I would have never picked as the looked factory but I found out just because I simply check now days (this way I can sort the issue straight away in the past I found my rehair to late to address the issue with the seller).
The amount of rehair is quite high specially with variants, I am still surprised the amount of people that don't check for authenticity.  Mostly my undisclosed rehair have come all from collectors hands (and all swore they had no idea the pony was a rehair)

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 12:31:47 AM »
I have the factory rehair Brazil dancing butterflies with the weird green hair....and a Argentina whizzer that is also a factory rehair...they are so fun!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 05:50:08 PM »
To be fair Kellyponyfeathers unless you look your never going to know for sure. I always check my ponies hair for factory weaves. 7 times over I have been sold expensive undisclosed rehair some of these had there heads glued back on to look factory sealed. A few rehairs I would have never picked as the looked factory but I found out just because I simply check now days (this way I can sort the issue straight away in the past I found my rehair to late to address the issue with the seller).
The amount of rehair is quite high specially with variants, I am still surprised the amount of people that don't check for authenticity.  Mostly my undisclosed rehair have come all from collectors hands (and all swore they had no idea the pony was a rehair)

You are right, the only way to be sure is to remove the head :(

Oh man :( I always pop heads off too, mostly because I am afraid of mold and rust. I didn't discover my lilac Peru Starshine had the funny rehairing/burnt ends until a few years ago. I just took it for granted she had a weave as her hair is a match for the curly lilac Peru hair.

Wizzer yes! Your Argie Whizzer has the same shade of yellow as my Brazil Factory rehair Starshine :)

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=472145

That Dancing with Butterflies is so pretty :heart:

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=472091

You also have this Peru Green Medley with dark purple hair ^.^

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=472792

It would seem these rehairs include ponies from Brazil, Argentina and Peru.

Love pkw xxx

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 05:57:45 AM »
I am under the impression that Peru pony heads are typically unglued (all mine have been also), so that would make me lean towards rehair of some kind as well :/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »
Sorry it took me so long to reply to my own question! I'm getting ready to move again, so unfortunately I've been busy.

The hair quality is good, still pretty soft, still has some curl. The mane is about the right length for a "super curly" Peru pony, though the tail seems shorter than others (most super curlies have extra long tails). The color looks the same as Maycrest's Glory, fairly deep purple, but not as dark as normal Peru Glory.

I also have a lilac haired Peru Cotton Candy. I bought her as a variant, but I'm pretty sure that this one, at least, is a rehair. The texture is all wrong, way too soft and fluffy. Her neck is glued.

For the other Peruvians, I'm not sure. I bought most of them directly from Peru; only a few came from other collectors. Some of their necks are sealed, some aren't. Who knows, maybe the glue just became old and brittle and broken. I have several doubles. (Yeah, I know I should sell some extras.)

I have two of orange Tootsie, for example. Both their necks are loose, so I looked in them. One is very neat and tight, the other is messy.

Also have 2 of Peru Glory, both with loose necks. The one from another collector is neat and tight. The other directly from Peru is messy. Hair color and length look correct on both, dark royal purple.

Finally also have 2 of Peru Moonstone, both directly from Peru. Both have loose necks and messy weaves, though one is a little messier than the other. Hair looks correct on both, and the green streaks have the typical Peru brittleness that makes it prone to frizzing.

So I don't know. Like I said, I don't do customs or rehairs myself, so I don't know much about weaves or rehairing techniques. But I've never really bought into the widely held assumption that a messy weave definitely means the pony was rehaired. Maybe factories used different hairing techniques to manufacure the same pony.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 02:31:27 AM »
Messy weaves are completely different to a rehair, like you noticed on your tootise some times weaves are just messy cause they are, this is more so when a pony has a few hair colours. If get confused as to whats a rehsir or not i get a pony with a clean factory weave to put things into perspective a rehair seems more obvoius when looking side by side.

The most common method for rehair is just stuffing hair into a plug, the inside looks clean enough but when you run your finger inside you can feel no joins within the hair since there is no weave, the haor inside will feel smooth not rough, if that makes sense). Sometimes ( not always) looking at the mane plugs  without beheading a pony can give glues about rehair, sometimes a plug of hair is missing along the mane or sometimes a plug looks a little damaged (rehairing can spilt plugs). 

I use to have some clear pics to show a few different rehairs method from inside a pony head but thanks to photo bucket I can't easily link them. I will pm you pics if I can find them :)

My rehaired Peru glory come straight from Peru but it was stated she was a rehair so hair was no nasty surprise there. I brought her on a whim as I was curouis about this purple hair and wanted to see the rehair technique. I really think now there must have been a doll hospital or one seller that rehairs a lot of ponies with that purple hair. That purple hair has been so constant over the years (the lighter purple used in rehairs)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 05:19:17 AM »
nhal039 is correct a messy weave doesn't always indicate a pony is a rehair. I have had the heads of MANY ponies and some are neat and tidy and others are like a rats nest!

nhal039 also mentioned about tiny split occurring with rehairs, this is TRUE, I have rehaired a lot and you do get tiny splits around the plug.

Here are a few videos on the different methods you can use, yes they are on a doll, but the technique and result are the same as on ponies.

http://www.mylittlecustoms.co.uk/storepage635486.aspx

I used to use the knot method when I started customising, but switched over to the tool method in 2006 after repeatedly splitting my thumb. I think most people use the tool method now a days as it is quick and easy.

The loop method is the method a few people use, it is very close to the factory weave and has been used to create fake Reverse Gustys.

I haven't had that many Peru ponies through my hands :( and the ones I have had have loose heads, but that could be that the glue has perished, they were never glued in the first place or they had their neck seal broken. It could be some got glued and others didn't, I don't know.

Love pkw xxx

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 08:07:49 AM »
I really think now there must have been a doll hospital or one seller that rehairs a lot of ponies with that purple hair. That purple hair has been so constant over the years (the lighter purple used in rehairs)

Nhal, do you mean like my lilac-haired Cotton Candy with the fluffy texture?  Yes, that one I can almost definitely agree is a rehair.

Well, what do you guys think about the medium-purple Peru ponies, like Glory and my new Posey? The tail washers look the same. Possible variant/possible doll hospital rehair?  I'm still trying to decide if I should return her.

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 04:13:16 PM »
oh man thanks for everyone contributing to this discussion :-)

yeah I get the problem with acquiring doubles KPF since like I wrote about spain fizzy, I thought I was buying an upgrade and then find out it's a mismatch variant

first thing I would decide is whether or not to pop the head and then since you have the comparison of those glory ponies also from peru, that can help you see "regular" versus doll hospital variant

I'm inclined with the number of members who have similar types of peruvians to agree that that there seems there's a doll hospital involved.  With seeing the local tail washer in mine, I'm comfortable to keep her even as a rehair as that repair is locally done :-) even though it does no help in my thin-the-herd quest

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal