collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can't find the new movie toys  (Read 6016 times)

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find the new movie toys
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 10:07:37 AM »
Ooh Lostpony, I love the way the merponies look when mounted on the wall! Looks like it's the best way to display a sort of swimming pose.
I'm wondering, does Princess Luna in the new mold have her symbol backwards? It's backwards in every stock photo, but I saw a picture where it wasn't, so maybe not...?

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »
Thanks Luxrayx!  i think so too.  A big gold hook at a funny angle to go around the base of the mertail does the trick.  I think a couple of nails in the right places might work too, like one uder the bent front leg, and another further back?

Taffeta, yes that's the giant "Magical Twilight Sparkle".  She's pretty lame.  I got mine off Hasbro's website with a 20% discount so got her around $100, probably the best price we're going to see on her until they are trying to get rid of stock later.  I put batteries in her for the first time last night, and checked her out.  She's supposed to have four "modes", but when you touch her sensors (on her nose on cheeks) she responds with a few rote responses that are the same in all the modes and there doesn't seem to be a lot of seconds of stuff in her mode sounds.....quite a bit more than the smaller toys which seem to have really disappointingly short sounds though.  She's actually a remake of Starlily, who has no modes and no off switch and has a mouth-sensor that you put a fake strawberry in to wake her up and get munching sounds, and all the way round Starlily makes such happy and excited sounds and is just so dreamy.  Twilight is pretty boring, constantly asks if you've seen Spike so she can tell him to take a note (though she doesn't come with any Spike), and if I expected better I'd have been disappointed.  Oh yes physically, Starlily has luxurious fuzzy skin and Twilight doesn't, so she look a bit gaunt, and of course they changed her head to be a bubble, and her ears are only fabric while Starlily's have a rubber foundation to them that is really neat.  What I don't understand is why they didn't do this for Pinky instead of (or along with) Twily...I think Pinky would have made a much better toy than Twily in this sort of thing.  She sings the FiM theme song too, replacing the notes that follow "my little pony" with "friendship is magic".  So, I'm glad I got her because I had to get her but she could have been a lot better.  She's not getting a spot on my bed alongside Starlily and Buildabears.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »
Do you mean this Luna?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »
Yeah, that Luna! Plus every other bubble head mold Luna. Her symbol is backwards in the stock photo, but I guess it was fixed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lostpony

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 01:33:13 PM »
I was so busy grimacing at the way the new Princesses look that I didn't even notice the symbol.

Forcing me to look away from that mesmerizing weird head, I notice that she looks OK otherwise....maybe if I sculpt a replacement head I could go ahead and get these.  The wings and bum look good and I think a little hot water would let me move the wings into a more active pose.  I wonder why the hoof armor isn't colored in...that has to be remedied too.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »
Okay, today I went to Toys R Us (got that 12 pack with the Mane 6 and 6 other ponies, I've got one more thing to get with my birthday money and then I'll post all my new stuff!), and they had a decent amount of Movie stuff.

They didn't have everything. I didn't see the Princess Skystar or Pinkie Pie seapony with the musical shells, Seashell Lagoon, or Seaquestria. Don't think I saw the set with Tempest either. They had the baby seaponies, the big 12 pack set I got, I think they had some of the molded hair sets? They had the big talking creepy Twilight Sparkle... I think the seaponies with fabric tails... I really should have taken a photo because it's hard to remember off the top of my head everything that they had.

In the next few days I will have to go to Walmart for groceries, so expect my report on that soon-ish.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

lostpony

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2017, 05:06:35 PM »
Oh the big Twily is creepy all right, and I'm interested to know if anyone else here buys her other than me.

I couldn't resist anything built on my Starlily's chassis, but if I wasn't hooked on Starlily (at first sight by the way before I even knew she was robotic) I would wonder why anyone would buy the crazy giant expensive Twilight.  Nonetheless, I'm glad I did and she does have a certain charm so those of you who have nothing better to do with your money, get her!

I don't think too many are going to buy her.  I bet she sits on shelves for two years before they liquidate her though. 

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2017, 05:16:09 PM »

I don't think too many are going to buy her.  I bet she sits on shelves for two years before they liquidate her though. 

Literally? That sounds painful xD

If it's here, she'll be still shelf sitting five years from now. If TRU can still stock MH dolls from 2011 with a straight face, no issues on giant creepy Twilight.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »
She might be intended to be a shelf-sitter in the first place:  a bigger, more exorbitant toy than most will ever buy.  Kids will pester, their adults will buy many less expensive ones to try and meet the demand, and the kids will never know how awful she really is because they won't get her, haha.

I dunno maybe she'll be a hit.  I wonder if bronies will even like her.  Poor Quasimodo Twily, and her pose in the box really is hunchbacked.  Out of her package, she actually has much better posture.  I like her, but I'm weird like that.

(as to liquidation, maybe she's a candidate for the Rainbow Factory....)

Monster High from 2011 huh?  I saw one I really really liked on sale at Target and by the time I decided to go ahead and buy her, she was gone and now I keep looking for any I like, but nope.  Just that one.  Shoulda paid attention to her name, and I guess it was the outfit I liked.  She's probably still on the shelves over there!

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2017, 06:02:51 PM »
I do want the creepy animaTwilight specifically because it's so creepy! But not at the price that she's at, and probably not even for $100. Maybe if she were to ever be $50 or something. More likely though I probably would have to get her if I were to find her at a thrift store. It would be fun to own creepy Twlight, but she's so pricey!

lostpony

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2017, 02:38:59 PM »
Well...using Starlily as an example, I got mine after she'd been on the shelves two years on sale for about $100  (her original price being I think $10 or so below Twily's) and on a fluke got a second one new in a rather beatup box at Goodwill for $35 (who gets liquidation inventory from Target) just after she started disappearing from TRU and Target.  Then i found her again clean and working at my used kids store for $25.

Don't expect to find Twily under $100 for a long long time.  Considering the big merponies are already $15 and the Sia pony is $25, maybe just save up for a while, and get her when she's $100 like I did.  If you get her at Hasbro's website, she's free shipping and it seems it isn't hard to time one of their 20% coupons...I got her on a one or two day sale and I think I got another 20% for next time just for signing up.  I haven't even seen her in my Walmarts and targets...she's prolly at TRU by now though.

She's actually not as bad as I described, and she's a LOT better for sounds than the other offerings in the movie line.  If you want her, get her!  You aren't going to be disappointed....

Also, I have two of Starlily's predecessor Butterscotch.  A little bigger, much bigger hooves, a lot fuzzier, has mouth that moves and makes some pony sounds but nothing wordsy or cutesy, and turns its head but no hoof-raising.  Holds its value on eBay for sure, I got both of mine as a fluke at thrift for like $4 each Wow!  The smaller Butterscotch, there's a like two foot tall one from a while back, that kids can sit on which costs like $600+ on eBay and I reeeeally want one of those, have no idea how it is in person.  Hasbro has done a lot of great big animatronix ponies but Twily is the first time that's crossed over with MLP toys so in that, giant Twily is very special.  If she doesn't sell, they might not do any more....if she does sell well, maybe they'll improve the basic Starlily capabilities and make a much better one that does more....I keep hoping, but it seems since Starlily their animatronix stuff is getting smaller and cheaper like the baby dragon Torch and the dog that poops (and you re-feed it the same pellets it pooped out, eeks!)...I'm guessing if Twily doesn't do well, they're going to quit doing stuff that costs over $80 so I really hope she does well.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »

Monster High from 2011 huh?  I saw one I really really liked on sale at Target and by the time I decided to go ahead and buy her, she was gone and now I keep looking for any I like, but nope.  Just that one.  Shoulda paid attention to her name, and I guess it was the outfit I liked.  She's probably still on the shelves over there!
It's really just our TRU. They are confused about whether they are a shop or a toy museum I think ;)
If you remember what she looked like at all I can try and help you figure out who she was. I'm no expert but I can try ;)

As for Quasitwilight, I agree, she is weird looking. But it might be that they do a rush on her for Christmas and some kids get her for the holidays. It's the kind of toy that unwise parents splurge on at that time of year.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline centaurette

• Captain Jack Pony
  • i'm preparing to shine... from the inside, out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2017, 03:40:28 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about not finding them. My boyfriend and I must have gone to at least five different targets in our city and every single one's stock was nearly completely barren (lots of empty peg spots on the walls), like someone either raided the whole wall (not likely) and just left a few behind, or they just haven't put it out yet. Working in transportation (and sometimes being lucky enough to see this stuff while they're wrapped on their pony pallets) and in retail in the past, I can tell you that merchandise gets moved around so quickly and so frequently that it's easy to misplace entire shipments of goods, believe it or not! :what:

Never fear though, I've noticed that some locations have some parts of the set (one we went to had ALL of the sea ponies and none of the mane six, one had only Songbird Serenade, etc), so it could be that they're just being unloaded strangely (if they got the shipment first, it would be in the "back" of the storage area, if they got it later on it would be towards the front), which also might explain the unpredictable stocking pattern I've been noticing. :drunk:

I will say that they are worth the wait, though! I picked up the 3" Rarity playset and the merpony babies, and the quality is pretty nice for the price you pay! Though I did find it amusing that the phrase "Not intended for water play" was on the side of mermaid toys! You mean I can't play with my seaponies in the tub?! Rarity's hair is actually smooth and manageable (I got the Crystal Castle and Cadence was quite literally frazzled/melted/something beyond repair), so I think they're definitely worth the wait! Best of luck to you and remember, they'll be bound to restock them! :good:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:50:19 PM by centaurette »

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 03:54:29 PM »
Today I went to Walmart, I saw a few things, the Pinkie/Luna and Twilight/Skystar sets, the single seapony AJ, Rarity, and Twilight (they had one each of those three and I couldn't resist buying the Twilight!), I don't think they had any of their exclusive movie stuff out yet. There's at least two (maybe three) other Walmarts close by, maybe one of them has more.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 04:14:28 PM »
I'm still fascinated by the fact that the merbabies are all over the US but not here. But the musical shell sea Skystar and Pinkie are all over the UK, and not there. How does that even work in Hasbro's mind? Is there a plan at work here or is that completely random?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal