collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro Media and Investor Day  (Read 1370 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Hasbro Media and Investor Day
« on: August 03, 2017, 12:54:08 PM »
So, here's some coverage of Hasbro's Media & Investor Day, which I didn't even know was a thing.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/08/03/tfw2005-coverage-hasbro-media-investor-day-2017-346226

MLP and Transformers are the leading brands at Hasbro.

Hasbro’s 7 Franchise Brands bringing in 50%+ revenue to the company:

Transformers
My Little Pony
Nerf
Monopoly
Littlest Pet Shop
Play-Doh
Magic The Gathering

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(So basically most revenue coming from toys, not a big shocker there.)

"Hasbro will deliver at least one Animated Feature Film per year. Transformers, My Little Pony and Stretch Armstrong."

I'm guessing by "animated film" they mean like EQG specials or Transformers' Predacons Rising, not a in-theater movie release?  Can't see Stretch Armstrong doing well on the big screen, lol.

Edit:  WELP, looks like I was wrong!

Confirming the previous info, Hasbro confirmed a Transformers Animated Theatrical Feature Film during their annual Investor Day today.

Hasbro owned Boulder Media Studio will produce the movie along with other animated films for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic and Stretch Armstrong.

Hasbro is set to deliver at least one Animated movie each year to the theater. Release date for the Transformers movie was not revealed during the event.

The Transformers animated movies will unfortunately be placed in the Michael Bay "movie-verse."

But to be honest I'm taking the whole movie thing with a grain of salt.  It sounds overly ambitious to me, and expensive.

Boulder Media animated Wander Over Yonder, The Amazing World of Gumball, and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, among others.

So . . . like . . . they like him for a bunch of super generic traits that could apply to literally almost Autobot, excepting "GIVE ME YOUR FACE" Bayverse Optimus Prime.  Got it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:08:41 AM by Mirnyj »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Media and Investor Day
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:23:48 PM »
If only the Bayverse would just end... what joyous day it would be. So jarring to see ugly movie BB next to cute movie Twilight.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »
I agree.  It sounds really ambitious for a company that isn't primarily about making movies.  I'm concerned that this will make for really subpar movies.

On the other hand, at least we can count on seeing some brand new stuff for mlp every 3 years or so.

Post Merge: August 03, 2017, 02:34:09 PM

Can anyone explain that first graphic for me?  I'm a little confused by it.  Like what self production model means and why we are comparing it to the Transformers licensing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:34:09 PM by Sunset »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
Maybe they will get the funding they need to make a movie every year- from all the dough they will make at Hascon?  :biggrin:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »
Can anyone explain that first graphic for me?  I'm a little confused by it.  Like what self production model means and why we are comparing it to the Transformers licensing.

I was wondering the same thing!  I googled a bit and found this site, which says:

"The self-production economy can be defined as a way of organizing that enables someone to produce products on his own rather than obtaining them from other people or parties."

So the distinction seems to be that the self-production model is mostly based on selling things (toys) that Hasbro makes themselves, whereas with Transformers a lot more of the revenue comes from licensed products made by other companies.  Although . . . it seems like that would overlap with "consumer products" . . .

Since there's a little note on the slide that says "illustrative example of opportunity only", I'm guessing this is what Hasbro is projecting / hoping for, not necessarily what exists presently.

I find it interesting that the MLP bar is much higher than the Transformers bar;  I'm not sure if that is meant to imply that more revenue is projected to come from MLP than TF or if it was just poor graphic design, lol.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
After the Jem movie, I would sincerely hope Hasbro would focus on quality and not quantity for their other franchises.

I loved TF as a kid but I have no interest in the newer movies or the concepts surrounding them. But I understand Hasbro capitalising on what has been apparently very successful at earning Hasbro money.

I guess FIM is staying around for a bit then...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »
I think this may have been revealed during this event, but it seems we may be getting an official equestria girls series?
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »
The movie thing doesn't sound like it's going to do too well... I mean depends on how said movies are executed and scripting.

We all know the MLP one is this year and they used an entirely different animation style for it.

The current Transformer movies are not really kid friendly (being PG-13) so for the younger audiences I wonder how they are going to deal with that.

Stretch Armstrong.... how is that going to work? Is he even popular?
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 12:00:01 PM »
If only the Bayverse would just end... what joyous day it would be. So jarring to see ugly movie BB next to cute movie Twilight.

:lol:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal