collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Things You Wish Hasbro Hadn't Done With FIM (TV Show or Toy Line)  (Read 13141 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Wish Hasbro Hadn\'t Done With FIM (TV Show or Toy Line)
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »
Then again, I met some people who actually believed horses had humanoid mammary glands instead of teats like other four legged mammals.  :pout:
I wouldn't be all surprised if it wasn't because of a certain brony fan character with such anatomy.

That's no excuse. Thats like saying they don't know what a real cow, shark or dog looks like. Unless those people were part of a super bizarre and specific experiment since birth, they've seen a horse at a pony ride, or on a calendar or carousel.
These are the same people who thought Tank was actually dying and that the cider the Apple's were serving two minutes after they pressed it was alcoholic.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Wish Hasbro Hadn't Done With FIM (TV Show or Toy Line)
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
I wish they'd never brought EG in.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »
Please don't hate me, but I think they forgot their original audience when it came to the TV show and it's pandering to.... well, not little girls or MLP collectors.

The toys have killed my interest. Same ponies over and over except for the rare exception. I am going to purge a large part of my G4 collection, but I need to find the motivation to do it.   

My boyfriend and I were talking about this. We are both on the feminist side, but not like feminists who believe women are better than men by any means. But we were in Wal-Mart looking at the G4 action figures and the lack of variety in brushables (which he thinks are cooler even though he is not a collector). He basically said....."Why can't something just be feminine these days? Why must they make these action figures? They are hideous!" 

Now don't get me wrong, we see nothing wrong with male collectors getting in from the G4 train (it's really the obnoxious bronies I hate- not all- just the hateful ones), and I am not trying to insult those who like the action figures. But we are both like.....eww.   I know times have changed, but I think part of G1's success was the variety of ponies. Now it's just the same Bore 6 with the occasional other thrown in.

I haven't been at the Arena much lately because my interest in ponies has taken a hiatus, and G4 is part of that. There is nothing to look forward to in stores anymore. I don't need 30 Pinkie Pies. I don't need 10 Celestias.

Just my opinion. Please don't hate me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:33:07 PM by DazzleKitty »
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »
Please don't hate me, but I think they forgot their original audience when it came to the TV show and it's pandering to.... well, not little girls or MLP collectors.

The toys have killed my interest. Same ponies over and over except for the rare exception. I am going to purge a large part of my G4 collection, but I need to find the motivation to do it.   

My boyfriend and I were talking about this. We are both on the feminist side, but not like feminists who believe women are better than men by any means. But we were in Wal-Mart looking at the G4 action figures and the lack of variety in brushables (which he thinks are cooler even though he is not a collector). He basically said....."Why can't something just be feminine these days? Why must they make these action figures? They are hideous!" 

Now don't get me wrong, we see nothing wrong with male collectors getting in from the G4 train (it's really the obnoxious bronies I hate- not all- just the hateful ones), and I am not trying to insult those who like the action figures. But we are both like.....eww.   I know times have changed, but I think part of G1's success was the variety of ponies. Now it's just the same Bore 6 with the occasional other thrown in.

I haven't been at the Arena much lately because my interest in ponies has taken a hiatus, and G4 is part of that. There is nothing to look forward to in stores anymore. I don't need 30 Pinkie Pies. I don't need 10 Celestias.

Why would we hate you for an opinion dazzlekitty? :hug:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »

Why would we hate you for an opinion dazzlekitty? :hug:
Especially since that's the opinion i have seen the most here.Plus that's stupid to hate someone for an opinion anyway.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2017, 05:20:19 PM »
I agree with everyone else. We won't hate you for expressing your opinion
Dazzlekitty.

I never liked the Diamond Dogs. I have never been able to sit through that whole episode.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »
I'm with you on Guardians of Harmony and most of the molded hair stuff.  I feel like Hasbro is so enraptured by the brony craze, they forget they're the peripheral audience.

I wish they had done something different with the diamond dogs than made them monsters of the week.  It would have shown Rarity's business acumen if she had hammered out a deal with them.

I've pictured a different version of diamond dogs who weren't as grotesque in appearance and could actually speak in complete sentences.  They're gem tradesman digging up jewels and selling them across the world.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2017, 06:32:46 PM »
I've never liked the Diamond Dogs either. They're just really ugly and have those awful voices. I skip that episode when I go through watching FiM over again.

Also I wish the toy versions of Luna were dark blue like she's supposed to be and not purple. They fixed Celestia after she was pink instead of white at first. They need to fix Luna next.  Several years back I went to Target when I was finally near one for the sole purpose of getting a Luna. Found her and decided not to because she was too purple.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

lostpony

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2017, 10:04:41 PM »
Killed off the Apple parents. Im glad theyve come pretty close to confirming it (while not 100 percent) but id like it better if they werent dead.

I too think they shouldnt have gone with g3s "cutie mark" for g4 symbols. It just sounds stupid for something so serious. I hated the cmcs for the longest time just because they keep saying it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:07:15 PM by lostpony »

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2017, 04:22:38 AM »

I didn't like the yak characters at all. They were very rude and didn't even try to acknowledge that the ponies even tried to make them feel at home. Then there was the whole build up with Pinkie traveling to Yakistan only to slide all the way back to Ponyville and then to say that the ponies shouldn't have tried to make accomendations for the yaks but to show them what was unique about Ponyville didn't make sense at all.

I think the "Ponies in Paradise" episode of Tales was a good episode showing how someone shouldn't judge someone else before getting to know them. Poor Bright really thought the tropical ponies were going to throw her in the volcano.

Ponyfan
I didn't like the yaks either, the whole episode just seemed like a bad idea, and I don't like how all non-ponies are the same as each other, because that's the impression that they give with the yaks - that all yaks at this way, like how all the griffons (except Gabby) seem to act a certain way, yet ponies are unique and individual.  It's pretty lazy to imply that everyone from that species are the same (until suddenly, you create a character like Gabby) - they should differentiate them more, like they do with the ponies, not have them all the same except possibly one "special case".

As much as I love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (albeit, the earlier episodes more), it seems to be becoming a common theme, to see a bad episode (in my opinion) and realise that My Little Pony Tales has already done a superior version.  I've already viewed "The Impractical Joker" as "28 Pranks Later" done correctly, and "Gribet" kind of shows how "Tanks For The Memories" could have been done better (i.e. have Tank be released or something, so it looks more final - they did so much better in that episode for a frog the ponies have known for all of five minutes, than for a tortoise that has been Rainbow Dash's pet for years now).

And to think "And the Winner Is..." and "The Ticket Master" were able to co-exist with each other just fine, in my opinion.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2017, 07:54:20 AM »

I didn't like the yak characters at all. They were very rude and didn't even try to acknowledge that the ponies even tried to make them feel at home. Then there was the whole build up with Pinkie traveling to Yakistan only to slide all the way back to Ponyville and then to say that the ponies shouldn't have tried to make accomendations for the yaks but to show them what was unique about Ponyville didn't make sense at all.

I think the "Ponies in Paradise" episode of Tales was a good episode showing how someone shouldn't judge someone else before getting to know them. Poor Bright really thought the tropical ponies were going to throw her in the volcano.

Ponyfan
I didn't like the yaks either, the whole episode just seemed like a bad idea, and I don't like how all non-ponies are the same as each other, because that's the impression that they give with the yaks - that all yaks at this way, like how all the griffons (except Gabby) seem to act a certain way, yet ponies are unique and individual.  It's pretty lazy to imply that everyone from that species are the same (until suddenly, you create a character like Gabby) - they should differentiate them more, like they do with the ponies, not have them all the same except possibly one "special case".

As much as I love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (albeit, the earlier episodes more), it seems to be becoming a common theme, to see a bad episode (in my opinion) and realise that My Little Pony Tales has already done a superior version.  I've already viewed "The Impractical Joker" as "28 Pranks Later" done correctly, and "Gribet" kind of shows how "Tanks For The Memories" could have been done better (i.e. have Tank be released or something, so it looks more final - they did so much better in that episode for a frog the ponies have known for all of five minutes, than for a tortoise that has been Rainbow Dash's pet for years now).

And to think "And the Winner Is..." and "The Ticket Master" were able to co-exist with each other just fine, in my opinion.
I hope that doesn't mean FiM is going to have a worse version of Shop Talk...  :yikes:
I'm not so sure about 28 Pranks Later, for me it's a copy of Mysterious Mare Do Well, and while i didn't like it, it didn't have the character supposed to get the lesson be like meh i'm going to ignore it like Patch did.
I agree for And the Winner Is though, just the fact that it didn't have Celestia magically fix the conflict at the end makes it better than Ticket Master.
Edit : am i being censored for wanting to write Trol lestia?Come on that's exactly what happens in the episode.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:55:53 AM by Jorgito93 »

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2017, 09:07:22 AM »
I wish Hasbro had used the G1 characters Lauren Faust wanted to use- Twilight, Firefly, Glory, Surprise, and Posey- instead of falsely claiming they 'didn't have the copyrights' so they could keep their g3 trademarks.

I wish Hasbro had forced Lauren Faust to actually watch the G1 cartoon again, so she'd realize it had it's own mythology, and wasn't just 'tea parties' like in her hazy recollections of the show from from childhood.

I wish Ponyland had been used instead of Equestria, Dream Valley instead of Ponyville, and Majesty instead of Celestia. Transformers didn't scrap it's whole mythology with it's reboots, so why did Pony throw away everything but the core concept, and a few names?

I wish G4 had not thrown the baby out with the bathwater. 

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
Yeah, the buffalo = Native American thing was such a bad idea and it honestly baffles me when people say the quality of FiM has gone so downhill when this mess was in the very first season.

It made the Apple family into bad people and the overall message of sharing was ridiculous given the entire natives vs settlers metaphor.

FOR REAL. I find the first season incredibly weak, tbh. The second was better, but still not too special. I stand by that seasons 4-6 were the peak of the show.

Also, Dream Valley is a way cooler name than Ponyville. That's like having a city named Personville. I do prefer Equestria to Ponyland, though - it just sounds more like a country name, and the country overall has a more modern and developed feel to it than the rather hazy Ponyland. That being said, I feel they could have woven g1 references into Equestria a little more - having g1 as mythology or even religion (though that wouldn't fly on a kids show lol) REALLY would've been interesting. Instead of Starswirl the Bearded, we could've had Glory the Magnificent as the main unicorn historical figure, and the Sirens could've been g1 characters, and we could've had more g1 names mentioned as being prominent in history. We've gotten General Firefly, and at least one other that Starlight mentioned in her debut, but they could have expanded upon that greatly.

On a semi-related note, I headcanon that a lot of the Equestrian city/place names that are "haha horse pun XD" on human places (Fillydelphia, Baltimare, Vanhoover, etc) aren't the actual names of the places - their actual names are like, Sparkle City or Friendship City or Dream Valley or Friendship Gardens or something to that extent. (Yes, I KNOW it's not real, but let me have my ideal version of Equestria, ok?  :P )
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
1. Discord. Have yet to find him funny as a villain or as a good guy.
2. The inaccurate toys. They don't really resemble the show's characters (remember pink Celestia, or Princess Sunbuirn as I call her?)

3. Rainbow Dash's character. Her antics are pretty much all the same. She's boastful, obnoxious and really not someone worth being around much of the time. Firefly is a better version of her.

4, The random meme references as others have said. Yes other shows do it but they don't make it so blatantly obvious. Animaniacs did a better job with this.

5. The logo (both for the 2017 movie and the show itself). It's bland and uninteresting. It doesn't really feel like it fits with the franchise.
6. Baby Flurry Heart. She flies like she's had too many cans of red bull and the storylines around her are generally bland.

airtseuqe

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2017, 10:43:20 AM »
Starlight Glimmer. Bargain bin Sunset Shimmer who gets WAY more attention, from fans and the show alike.

Moondancer. Ugh. Leave her in g1, please.

McFlurry. Eugh.

Making Daring Do real. WHY.

Juniper Montage. Worst villain, design is a ripoff of Gaia Everfree. Their hair is like EXACTLY the same color.

Naming it Seaquestria. I'm SO ANGRY about that. They seriously couldn't think of anything else? Why does every other country in the FIMverse have to be a derivative of Equestria?

Speaking of which, worldbuilding in general. The Crystal Empire being... a tiny town, and a part of Equestria at that (why... not just call it Crystal City.......). How unclear the status of other countries (changeling kingdom, zebra country, dragon lands, breezie realm) is. Really, the only thing that's explicitly stated to be an independent country is Griffonstone.

The buffaloes and yaks are horribly offensive, and I reject them as canon.

Timber Spruce. Why did you have to give SciTwi a male love interest after queerbaiting her so hard with Sunset? 

I'll add more as I think of em. As much as I love FIM, I have a lot to complain about, lol.
Amen on Starlight. She's hurt the show significantly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal