collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Things You Wish Hasbro Hadn't Done With FIM (TV Show or Toy Line)  (Read 12930 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
I'm just going to mention some things as they cross my mind...

I wish Hasbro didn't create a baby for Shining Armor and Cadence.  I feel like they were a power couple and with Flurry Heart it ruined it for me.

Blind Bags.  I know I might get some hate for this but we had more blind bags than we did actual pony figures,
by figures I mean brushables.  Hasbro was competing with other toy brands who were doing the same thing,
but it didn't seem as popular at the time, maybe I'm wrong.

Making Twilight a princess.  Again I may get some hate but I loved Twilight more when she wasn't a Alicorn which I consider an incorrect term since the true term for an alicorn is a unicorn's horn without the unicorn.
I know saying unicorn-pegasus or something like that is too much but still it irks me when they use the term alicorn.  I realize Twilight's studying and lessons would eventually amount to something and it became clear what that was later on she was preparing to be a princess this entire time, I just liked her better before she became a princess.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders, the episodes that never end.  It wasn't so bad at first when every now and then we got an episode where they were trying to find their special talent but after a while it seemed to be every other episode, then when they got their cutie marks you thought that would be over but no.  Hasbro decides to make 20 more of those episodes where they are helping other people find their cutie marks.  It just got old for me after a while and when I see a new episode and it features the Cutie Mark Crusaders I stop watching it.

Speaking of which...cutie marks.  To me that is and always will be a G3 term and I feel like hasbro could have gone with something else just as unique.  Also, when they make references to G1 and say "cutie mark"
 for their symbol I'm like "oh heck no".  I'm a fan of G1 and G3 and I hate it when they use a new term used in new generation MLP and reference the old MLP with the new terms.  Sorry if that's confusing.

Hasbro catering to bronies in their episodes.  I had no problem with the term "bronies" when it first came about.  For me it was a fanbase for males who liked MLP.  I was happy for the male fans that were able feel they had a fanbase in MLP and something to identify with in the MLP world.  Then, brony turned into G4 fans who hate anything previous to G4 and think G4 is the only generation of MLP, etc.  Then we see episodes which I read were meant for bronies to keep them happy.  Hasbro seemed to think that's where all their fans were so they wanted to keep only them happy.  Hasbro should be focusing on keeping all fans happy as a MLP fanbase not just certain fans, or go back to making little girls happy--I don't know.

I guess that's it for now.  Again these are just my opinions and this only meant to be a respectful thread where we can discuss things without flaming each other.  I know that pretty much everyone here is OK with that but there may be a select few who want to start arguments, based on certain things.  Please don't.
Sorry I know I'm not a MOD.  :blush: :lookround:

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Wish Hasbro Hadn't Done With FIM (TV Show or Toy Line)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 10:00:32 PM »
Yea, I agree with a lot of the things you said.

I think definitely the biggest one for me was Twilight becoming a princess. It was so rushed and she wasn't ready for it. Yes, the character had been through many adventures and learned plenty of lessons, but I don't think she was ready to take on a leadership role just yet. Not to mention that SINCE becoming a princess, she has truly stagnated... now we have hardly any Twilight episodes, when she used to be the main character! It really seems to me that they just have no idea what to do with her. She has reached her 'ultimate destiny' so... now what? Her personality has been toned down a whole lot and I find her very bland now. All she seems to do is preach her 'friendship lessons'... And is the world expert on friendship even though... she only hangs out with the 5 ponies and Spike...
It's especially bad that it happened only in season 3, and now we are up to season 7! That means she's been a princess for longer than a unicorn. I wouldn't have minded it as the 'end goal' for her if they had decided on a point where they would end the show, you know? And have more build-up to it.

Yeah I also agree about Flurry Heart, haha. Didn't really want to see a baby on the show, apart from side characters like the Cakes' babies. However... I do find her very cute x)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 01:57:16 AM »
Choosing Starlight over Moondancer as Twilight's student.  I know Starlight was a new character they were selling, but the Season 5 premier had made her out to be this dangerous cult leader and the finale made her out to be this vindictive you know what willing to literally destroy the world just to wreck Twilight's friendships.  Yet all is forgiven by the end of the episode.  What?  And even after a season and a half, they still don't know what to do with her as a character.  As a student, she has developed her collection of friendships far better than Twilight did.  However, her actual character seems stuck like the rest of the main characters.

Moondancer as Twilight's student wouldn't have the baggage of her doing a bunch of terrible things and having to worry about a redemption arc.  How she had decided to live her life was unhealthy, but she was only hurting herself.  Also, since she and Twilight were once friends, there is a basis to build some chemistry between them.

And Twilight becoming a princess has been badly handled.  It could have been a watershed moment for the show.  However, it happened just as they started losing writing talent, it her character has only stagnated.  The show has stagnated.  Notice they seem to want to devote more time to characters other than the Mane 6?  Either it's because the movie is coming up which will feature them heavily or because they've run out of ideas.

Actually, here's the biggest one.  Letting the show run for 7 (soon to be 8) seasons.  It's clearly past its point of relevance.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Wish Hasbro Hadn\'t Done With FIM (TV Show or Toy Line)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 03:11:18 AM »
Choosing Starlight over Moondancer as Twilight's student.  I know Starlight was a new character they were selling, but the Season 5 premier had made her out to be this dangerous cult leader and the finale made her out to be this vindictive you know what willing to literally destroy the world just to wreck Twilight's friendships.  Yet all is forgiven by the end of the episode.  What?  And even after a season and a half, they still don't know what to do with her as a character.  As a student, she has developed her collection of friendships far better than Twilight did.  However, her actual character seems stuck like the rest of the main characters.

Moondancer as Twilight's student wouldn't have the baggage of her doing a bunch of terrible things and having to worry about a redemption arc.  How she had decided to live her life was unhealthy, but she was only hurting herself.  Also, since she and Twilight were once friends, there is a basis to build some chemistry between them.

And Twilight becoming a princess has been badly handled.  It could have been a watershed moment for the show.  However, it happened just as they started losing writing talent, it her character has only stagnated.  The show has stagnated.  Notice they seem to want to devote more time to characters other than the Mane 6?  Either it's because the movie is coming up which will feature them heavily or because they've run out of ideas.

Actually, here's the biggest one.  Letting the show run for 7 (soon to be 8) seasons.  It's clearly past its point of relevance.

Yep I agree about soon to be 8 seasons.  The show has definitely run it's course.

Post Merge: August 03, 2017, 03:12:13 AM

Yea, I agree with a lot of the things you said.

I think definitely the biggest one for me was Twilight becoming a princess. It was so rushed and she wasn't ready for it. Yes, the character had been through many adventures and learned plenty of lessons, but I don't think she was ready to take on a leadership role just yet. Not to mention that SINCE becoming a princess, she has truly stagnated... now we have hardly any Twilight episodes, when she used to be the main character! It really seems to me that they just have no idea what to do with her. She has reached her 'ultimate destiny' so... now what? Her personality has been toned down a whole lot and I find her very bland now. All she seems to do is preach her 'friendship lessons'... And is the world expert on friendship even though... she only hangs out with the 5 ponies and Spike...
It's especially bad that it happened only in season 3, and now we are up to season 7! That means she's been a princess for longer than a unicorn. I wouldn't have minded it as the 'end goal' for her if they had decided on a point where they would end the show, you know? And have more build-up to it.

Yeah I also agree about Flurry Heart, haha. Didn't really want to see a baby on the show, apart from side characters like the Cakes' babies. However... I do find her very cute x)

I agree, Twilight becoming a princess was rushed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:13:12 AM by Majesty »

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 04:39:58 AM »
I'm in the crowd that's been cool with Princess Twilight from the beginning, but I wish they'd postponed it a little. If the show's going to have 8+ seasons, ending the main character's character arc in season 3 hardly seems like the way to go :lookround:
In fact, it seems all of the mane 6 are done with their arcs at this point. I hope Starlight and Trixie get full main character privileges in season 8, with the mane 6 becoming side characters or something.
Also also replacing the Golden Oaks library with the crystal castle playset is just the worst! I'm all for changing the status quo, but the new castle is ugly. The library was a much better fit for Ponyville.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 06:29:25 AM »
In fact, it seems all of the mane 6 are done with their arcs at this point. I hope Starlight and Trixie get full main character privileges in season 8, with the mane 6 becoming side characters or something.

Agreed on all of the above. Starlight has issues that go far beyond any of the Six. It would be more interesting to do a spin-off and have her be the next Twilight. She already got the looks for it; pinks, purples and a unicorn - retailers like :P

Toy-wise I wish they would have made more collectible characters or at least make more toys out of the many ponies on the show.
We got some randos like that purple snob pony or Pursey Pink instead of speaking secondary characters like Treehugger, Hoity Toity or Gilda. And the nice Playful Ponies designs from the beginning never made it into the show. Like Feathermay or Dewdrop Dazzle. From both a fan and advertising stance it makes no sense to me. Don't keep your toys separate from your toy vehicle.

Another toy thing that irks me: butt ugly princesses. Sorry but the new princesses look like gum and lollipops. Their heads are so bulbous and misshapen, and Luna's still got the wrong color scheme. Never was a big fan of the old ones but now they look ridiculous. I don't wish my ponies to look starving. Even the giraffy G2s had more meat on their bones.

Dulset Tarn

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:26:11 AM »
Alicorn which I consider an incorrect term since the true term for an alicorn is a unicorn's horn without the unicorn

FINALLY someone says it.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 08:34:35 AM »
 Had Princess Flurry Heart be born an alicorn - this is kind of a headcanon thing (so I know I can still do it), but I think it works better if alicorns are something you become, and there wasn't any really need to make her an alicorn, especially not with oversized wings.  It's one of the reasons that some people (not me) hated her before she even did anything, so it wasn't a well thought out idea to me.

Made Starlight Glimmer the main villain of the season five finale - it would have been better if there was another villain who Starlight had been manipulated into joining forces with.  Starlight didn't seem that evil when she first appeared, but more like somepony who genuinely thought she was helping others, and I guessed that she'd reform because of this.  However, brining her back, and making her act more like a villain than she was before, made her reason for being the way she was look like a huge overreaction (which ruined her to some fans), but if you just have that as her motivation for stealing cutie marks, and then have some other villain use her views on cutie marks against her and make her think that they can give her the perfect Equestria for their own evil deeds, then it's not an overreaction because it's only the cutie mark thing that losing her friend made her do - which isn't that much of an overreaction (not as much as making her endanger history, anyway).

Lost its backbone - I get that this is a children's show, but seasons one to three seemed like they had more guts to at least imply that we should be concerned for the ponies, and the same goes for the previous generations.  Season four onwards is a lot softer in my opinion, like it's scared of letting anyone think that anything bad could happen to the ponies, or any other character.  The worst part about this, is that there are times when you can tell it is trying to still be "cool" and make itself look dangerous, but ruining it by making it clear that no one is in any danger, where as pre-season four (previous generations included) they implied enough of the risks for us to see them if we wanted to and didn't try too hard, and didn't hold our hands telling us that the ponies weren't at risk.  Season four onwards is, in my opinion, like painting a cat to look like a tiger, and then declawing said cat.

Brought Trixie back the way they did - I'm not saying she shouldn't have come back, but why did it have to be done this way?  Why did they have to ignore the fact that Trixie was even less of a villain than Starlight when she first appeared?  All she really did was lie and boast, which aren't exactly honorable traits, but aren't enough to make you a full-scale villain, an antagonist, yes, but not a villain.  The only time she was a villain was when she wasn't in control of her actions, yet "No Second Prances" acts like she's got some serious reforming to do.

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's families - yes, I know I am being "that brony", and yes, I know that I can easily create a different family for them in fanon (and will), but it can't be avoided that the families of these two characters was by far the most disappointing families I've seen in the show.  If they had to do a storyline about how Dashie's parents embarrassed her in which we were supposed to view her as being wrong to be angry at them for doing so, then they shouldn't have made them as over the top as they did.  It should have been something like, they cheered for Dashie a lot when she was a filly, and she remembers it as being more over the top as it was, or made them embarrassing in another way (like had them tell funny stories, that they don't realise are embarrassing their daughter), but acting the way they did in the show, Dashie was completely justified in "exploding" the way she did.  Fluttershy's family, aside from being poorly designed (in my opinion) were a huge mistake to me - the parents made it look like shyness was hereditary (which is a poor joke in my opinion, and also defeats the point of Fluttershy in my opinion) and her brother... well he has the honor of being my Worst Pony.  I have no idea what the point of Zephyr Breeze, with his lazy, not even trying to help himself, try too hard to be  masculine obnoxious dude, "no means yes" pointless flirtation scenes, type personality was.  But if you like any of these characters, it's fine.

Done next to nothing with Starlight Glimmer and Sunburst - Okay, I don't expect them to do an epic love story or anything (though, that's obviously what I want), but they made such a song and dance about how Sunburst was Starlight's best and most likely only friend, and losing him was so heart-breaking it made Starlight the way she was, and then they reunite them and then they give Starlight other friends that overshadow Sunburst, who they barely use, and barely let Starlight interact with.

Started giving the character weird facial animations for no reason - Seriously, what in Zacherle's name where they thinking with these?

Reformed Discord - He just doesn't work as a non-villain to me, and the episodes post-his reformation look more at home as an online fanseries done for fun rather than the actual show, in my opinion.

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
Reformed Discord - He just doesn't work as a non-villain to me, and the episodes post-his reformation look more at home as an online fanseries done for fun rather than the actual show, in my opinion.

This made Discord one of the few characters I actually hate to watch. He kept acting like his villainous self until he got to play the D&D game with the boys (I think).
Unless the episode with Treehugger came after that. Because he acted so horrible there. The message was a good one and I liked Fluttershy standing up to him, but in general it was always strange to me how they made Celestia suddenly trust him and view him as a source of comedy after she had initially turned him into a statue.
It was like Celestia became the audience stand-in.
Granted, they have been writing Discord to be less disgusting as of late. The end of the D&D one and the new one with the tea party show some form of progression of his character. He seems to be learning the friendship lessons now. Something the Six not always do :lol:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 04:11:28 PM »
Again I may get some hate but I loved Twilight more when she wasn't a Alicorn which I consider an incorrect term since the true term for an alicorn is a unicorn's horn without the unicorn.

Oh thank god it's not just me that's bothered by this!!!!

I wish they'd made more brushables of the show characters, too. Or put the toy-only characters in the show, whichever. Both. I dunno, I just.. the show has some really nice character designs and like, I can see why some of them would be a hard sell as a toy, but others it's like, c'mon, they'd sell like hotcakes! I've been wanting a toy of Fleur de Lis for years now, and you can't tell me kids wouldn't like a pretty white and pink unicorn. :p
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »
I like that Twilight became and princess, but I don't like how it was handled. I feel that it was rushed, and Twilight becoming a princess should have been the end goal for the series, not something that occurred in a 13 episode 3rd season  :hmm:

I hate Discord and I wish he had never been reformed (or better yet, never existed)

I wish they never did Equestria Girls, or at least done it differently. I love the chibis thye have but the doll line was HORRID. It gave me Sunset Shimmer, but I feel like they could have used her anyway because Starlight Glimmer is just a rehash of her character in the first place.

I feel that she show has gone on too long, and I honestly miss the letters to Celestia and life lessons. The Mane 6 could have still accomplished their goals while doing this.

I would have liked the CMC to have been handled better. Their cutie marks are SO UGLY. I don't mind that they have connecting theme but ew... I hope they fire whoever thought those marks were a good idea. I would have rather them figure out who they are and still choose to work together by helping others. They deserve their own unique marks because they're unique ponies, not just a little symbol in the middle of a shield.

I know it's a longshot because Hasbro believes in "core" characters, but I still wish we had more unique ponies like when the first wave of brushable came out.

I HATE the G4.5 designs. I hate it, I hate it. I tried to like it but ugh. It makes me want to stop collecting. I do want Spitfire and Big Mac. And I always buy Luna and Sunset Shimmer figures, but.. argh. I think they're so ugly and the reboot wasn't necessary.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 11:45:17 AM »
I wish Hasbro didn't use the hyper deformed chibi look.

I wish Hasbro would stop being so abominably cheap and put better QC into practice.

I wish Hasbro didn't use flash.

I wish Hasbro would stop using awful distribution practices. This goes for their other toylines too.

I wish Hasbro would stop catering to one kind of fan and cater to All, like they do with transformers, especially kids again.

I wish Hasbro would stop pumping out the core characters and little else. You could cross over to other continents with those things

I wish Hasbro would put more focus on their main line and quit demonizing it by making the hair sparse and greasy and terrible.

I wish Hasbro would stop putting an emphasis on symbols. It seems that symbol-less ones are considered borderline pariahs.

I wish there were more villains that stayed irredeemable. Granted G1 did it too, but not as often as this gen does.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:39:09 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »

I wish there were fewer villains that stayed irredeemable. Granted G1 did it too, but not as often as this gen does.
I think you mean the opposite, friend, because Dhx is putting out reformations for villains faster than hasbro puts out new pinkie pies.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »

I wish there were fewer villains that stayed irredeemable. Granted G1 did it too, but not as often as this gen does.
I think you mean the opposite, friend, because Dhx is putting out reformations for villains faster than hasbro puts out new pinkie pies.

DHX? Yes I did mean the opposite. My brain is mush.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 02:26:46 PM »

DHX? Yes I did mean the opposite. My brain is mush.
DHX is the company that makes FiM.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal