collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has anyone opened a Kitty Kitty Kitten?  (Read 3276 times)

DingoHands

• Trade Count: (0)
Has anyone opened a Kitty Kitty Kitten?
« on: August 02, 2017, 06:47:52 AM »
I recently got a Kitty Kitty Kitten. I later found out that they apparently were recalled for having a "bag" of  water that turned out to be contaminated. I decided to open the stomach to see what was inside and there was a popped balloon. There was a stain on the stomach area but I assumed it was just dirty, might have been from the water?

Despite all of this, I just decided to wash it and when I opened it, I pulled the balloon out. Honestly I think "Please discard or destroy the product." is a bit much. I don't see how taking the balloon out and washing it is so difficult.. Surely it should be clean after washing?

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone opened a Kitty Kitty Kitten?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 06:52:26 AM »
Most Kitty Kitty Kittens no longer have a full water bladder so I wouldn't worry too much about the bacteria risk at this point to start with. I think it's been long enough by now. Washing it is always an option if you're concerned though and it's likely that stain in the stomach area is from the water after the balloon popped.

Although honestly - as long as you're not putting it in your mouth I think you're fine :lol:

I'd imagine that was the big issue because it was meant as a toy for a kids, who may put it in their mouth or put their hands in their mouth after the water leaks. In which case the whole discard of destroy makes sense. You know keep it out of the hands of other kids? But as a collectible that is definitely overkill.

DingoHands

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 07:02:53 AM »
Most Kitty Kitty Kittens no longer have a full water bladder so I wouldn't worry too much about the bacteria risk at this point to start with. I think it's been long enough by now. Washing it is always an option if you're concerned though and it's likely that stain in the stomach area is from the water after the balloon popped.

Although honestly - as long as you're not putting it in your mouth I think you're fine :lol:

I'd imagine that was the big issue because it was meant as a toy for a kids, who may put it in their mouth or put their hands in their mouth after the water leaks. In which case the whole discard of destroy makes sense. You know keep it out of the hands of other kids? But as a collectible that is definitely overkill.

Yeah, the one I got didn't have water in it anymore but just having the empty balloon inside bothered me so I took it out lol. They're so cute, I don't see how anyone could "destroy" or throw them away!

If someone had one for their kid, I think it would be easier to dispose of the balloon and clean the toy rather than tossing it, especially if their child played with it often.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 07:15:22 AM »

Yeah, the one I got didn't have water in it anymore but just having the empty balloon inside bothered me so I took it out lol. They're so cute, I don't see how anyone could "destroy" or throw them away!

If someone had one for their kid, I think it would be easier to dispose of the balloon and clean the toy rather than tossing it, especially if their child played with it often.

I totally agree lol. But that takes effort a lot of people may not be willing to exert and since at that time the water bladders likely were full they'd be exposing themselves to the bacteria as well.

My mom threw out 12 or so of mine so... x.x

DingoHands

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 01:21:39 PM »

I totally agree lol. But that takes effort a lot of people may not be willing to exert and since at that time the water bladders likely were full they'd be exposing themselves to the bacteria as well.

My mom threw out 12 or so of mine so... x.x

Aw man that sucks. I was lucky enough to get mine for about $2 at GoodWill. If you go on eBay or Esty they're extremely expensive.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
Poor kittens...

DingoHands

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
Poor kittens...
Yeah, it's pretty sad if you think about it. Many of them were probably thrown away.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »
They are super expensive. I had 4 of the Tyco ones (not involved in the recall) escape being tossed out.

The one DSI Kitty Kitty Kitten I have is from ebay. I'm hoping to eventually collect them back now that she has no say lol.

Offline DappledHazel

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »
They are super expensive. I had 4 of the Tyco ones (not involved in the recall) escape being tossed out.

The one DSI Kitty Kitty Kitten I have is from ebay. I'm hoping to eventually collect them back now that she has no say lol.

So, not all of them had a recall on them? I found this website that had a bunch of information about them,
 but they don't mention which ones were. (http://www.pranceatron.com/kittens/kittykittykittens.html)
I have the calico, golden eyes, and with a pink tag (The tag was cut but I can see the pink font.) Were these ones fine or also recalled?

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 08:37:19 PM »

So, not all of them had a recall on them? I found this website that had a bunch of information about them,
 but they don't mention which ones were. (http://www.pranceatron.com/kittens/kittykittykittens.html)
I have the calico, golden eyes, and with a pink tag (The tag was cut but I can see the pink font.) Were these ones fine or also recalled?

They weren't all recalled. The DSI Kitties (early 2000s) used a water bladder which is what caused the recall. The Tyco Kitties (90s) used an air bladder. All my Tyco Kitties have pink tags; my DSI one does not. Based on that I'd guess yours is Tyco but I couldn't be certain. If that is the case yours is likely among the ones that were not recalled.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 04:00:48 PM »
I found one from 2000 at a local church sale for a quarter, it is a calico one.

Offline DappledHazel

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »
I found one from 2000 at a local church sale for a quarter, it is a calico one.
That's cool

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal