collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Adhesive vinyl stencils for airbrushing?  (Read 526 times)

daystar217

• Trade Count: (0)
Adhesive vinyl stencils for airbrushing?
« on: August 01, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
I've seen this discussed a few years ago but I was wondering if anyone has used this technique more recently.

You know those really expensive paper cutting machines like Cameo or Cricut? It's like a printer but instead of printing ink it has a blade that cuts the material (fabric, paper, adhesive vinyl, etc.) I never knew about them until my mother in law upgraded hers and gave me the old one.

So I have this fancy machine now, I was thinking of buying some adhesive vinyl sheets and cutting cutie mark stencils to airbrush customs. I'm not very good at freehand painting and sine they're G1 I would want them the same on both sides, which is really hard for me without a stencil. but using stencils on round things isn't very easy, so maybe if it was stuck down it would work better?
I've seen some customs that look factory made, the mark was so uniform and even, like it was stamped on. Like this baby Locket.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/255678337/baby-locket-twinkle-eye-custom-g1-my
(ShadowontheMoon, if you're reading this, I heart this custom.)
 THAT'S what I'm going for, the factory-made look. Haha, high aspirations for a beginner, I know. I've gotten pretty good at rehairing but the painting thing is a whole new ball of....acrylic.

Experience? Advice? My husband has been painting miniatures for 20 years so I have all the tools (airbrushes, paints, brushes, gloss,) but I didn't want to spring for the $20 adhesive vinyl sheets without asking first. How do the pros airbrush customs?

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Adhesive vinyl stencils for airbrushing?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 02:54:25 AM »
I have no idea, but then again I freehand everything and don't use airbrush. :blush: I will be watching what others have to say tho, maybe I learn a thing or two!

daystar217

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 06:38:18 AM »
hmmm so nobody has any ideas about this huh? I guess I will have to try it out myself and find out!

So I'm thinking I will use the Cameo to cut out the tiny pieces (like Locket's keys,) put on a light primer coat, then some pink acrylic right over the cutie area. Then stick on the tiny key stickers to mask the pink layer, prime a little more over the exposed pink, and then airbrush the whole body in the body color. Then remove the stickers to reveal the pink paint cutie marks underneath. That's the plan! :think:

lostpony

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 08:53:32 PM »
First on g1 they are symbols not cutie marks which begin in g3.  No big deal...

Ok airbrushing and stencils. I did a bit of airbrush and was thinking of doing it on ponies but i need to get everything so haven't yet, but...things that stick down tend to make a less nice edge than you might think because the paint can seep under n you cant see it n there can be invisible gaps especially on nonflat surfaces... the best stencil is held up close but not quite touching, and control the angle of the airbrush carefully. This wont get the absolute crispiest line possible but avoids the hidden issues. If you do stick a stencil down, remove it while the paint is still dry so you can deal with any imperfections before they set, and also to avoid the little bit of paint that can form at the edges and leave an irregular line. Also if you are masking like you describe, make sure you have a way to grab it so you dont have to mar the paint to get it peeled off.

Finally if you havent used the airbrush much get some practice on easy stuff before trying intricate thngs cuz there is some technique to it.

Good luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal