collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What the heck toys?!  (Read 1538 times)

Offline hathorcatTopic starter

• All About Accessories
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
What the heck toys?!
« on: July 31, 2017, 10:20:40 PM »
Do you ever look at toy lines and just wonder how they got past marketing, quality and, just, well any kind of sensible person? The scary looking or just the weird that are far from the cute and cuddly?

My favourite are Kenner's Grabbits...I cant help but think they look like evil bunnies and I cant imagine ever purchasing one for a child lol!

Anyone have anything else scary or weird that they have come across in toy collecting? Suitable for Arena audiences of course :P

images courtesy of Ghost of the Doll

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Unable to buy, sell, or trade
    • My Tumblr
Re: What the heck toys?!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:55:24 PM »
I can't think of one at the moment but wow that is truly terrifying! :yikes:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login|You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login|You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:03:56 PM »
 :shocked: What the heck?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ShimmerShine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »

Ah, the good old uncanny valley. To try and explain what the marketing people were thinking, I read a theory a while back that the predominant school of thought in the animation industry is More human=Cuter. Unfortunately, more human can also equal creepier. The creators must have thought giving them small, human-like eyes and human baby-like features cute, then!

Anyway, I always thought the cabbage patch kids were creepy as hell. Once again, we have the human eyes and scary mutant baby face going on.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • I see you. And I will find you. And give you hugs!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:35:07 AM »
Well, a few years ago, my sister got this talking Ariel doll. The kind that's supposed to sing and play with your kid. Except
It had a habit of turning on at random times, and wouldn't shut up. So it would be quiet and then we'd hear this "hello? Are you still there?" In this creepy voice once the batteries were running out. Not exactly wondering what they were doing in marketing, but it was quite unnerving.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• G3 Rosey Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 01:48:53 AM »
Well, a few years ago, my sister got this talking Ariel doll. The kind that's supposed to sing and play with your kid. Except
It had a habit of turning on at random times, and wouldn't shut up. So it would be quiet and then we'd hear this "hello? Are you still there?" In this creepy voice once the batteries were running out. Not exactly wondering what they were doing in marketing, but it was quite unnerving.

I don't think Ariel's there anymore

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
I watched this YouTube video and it had this doll on a rocking chair, with a scary face that laughs. The commercial for it was absolutely terrifying.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Who wants to changed this sig into ponies?

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • Andrea's 80s Toys
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 05:20:28 PM »
I think the baby Grabbits aren't as scary.  Or maybe I am just bias because I had one as a kid and loved it lol.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who found Cabbage Patch Kids to be creepy.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 09:23:16 PM »
I have this huge 16" Strawberry Shortcake doll from Peru who has blinky eyes- and when you press her tummy she will sing a song in the truly most blood curdling voices you have ever heard- no joke.

I kinda love it, haha

Offline Leave a Whisper

• G3 Rosey Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »
I have this huge 16" Strawberry Shortcake doll from Peru who has blinky eyes- and when you press her tummy she will sing a song in the truly most blood curdling voices you have ever heard- no joke.

I kinda love it, haha

Oh you have got to post a video of that!

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Dazzle Surprise
  • I see you. And I will find you. And give you hugs!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 12:00:55 AM »

I kinda love it, haha

I second the motion!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »

I kinda love it, haha

I second the motion!

Okay you will never sleep again, but I will look for some new batteries for her...

Offline glitterball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Be kind and sparkly!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »
My favourite are Kenner's Grabbits...I cant help but think they look like evil bunnies and I cant imagine ever purchasing one for a child lol!

Horror show!!!!!  :freak: :bolt: :yikes:

Yep, I never got into Cabbage Patch Kids either, they looked too weird / like they had mumps.

There are some new baby dolls out at the moment with what I would describe as creepy faces - do a search for "Baby Wow Doll" sorry, but I will not have one in my house!    :lookround:
:glitter: :glitter: visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 :glitter:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 01:18:21 AM »
Do you ever look at toy lines and just wonder how they got past marketing, quality and, just, well any kind of sensible person? The scary looking or just the weird that are far from the cute and cuddly?

Anyone have anything else scary or weird that they have come across in toy collecting? Suitable for Arena audiences of course :P

images courtesy of Ghost of the Doll

The figures are cute but they really don't translate well to plush.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also looking for EG Roller Lemon Zest and Sunny Flare,
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Av by Moonflower.