collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you get when you cross an elf and a hobbit?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
What do you get when you cross an elf and a hobbit?
« on: July 31, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
Watching The Hobbit movies again. Then started reading a story where Bilbo is a female and she marries the Elven King.

What would their child be called?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you get when you cross an elf and a hobbit?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
A holf. Or perhaps a hobelf. Or perhaps an elbit. None of these sound good though, so I'm saying they would probably call it the elf-hobbit-child. FIGHT ME LIKE AN ELFHOBBITCHILD!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:50:53 AM »
This reminds me of in D&D how there's half-elves and half-orc (where the other half is human), but never, like, a gnome-orc kid.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »
Assuming biology similar to ours, it's a bigger issue as to what the results will actually be like than what to call it.

For example, since the hobbit (Bilbette?) is the source of the egg, and therefore contributes the cell structure and the cell DNA, if we assume the nuclear DNA is similar enough to produce offspring there are quite a few questions as to the traits of said offspring.  Will it inherit the agelessness of the elf?  I don't think that's a nuclear DNA feature...then again, maybe it is a nuclear DNA feature actually as it may have to do with the chromosome tails that we've discovered more recently, that shorten with each division and so perhaps those not shortening might be the source of the LotR version of immortality.  But is that feature dominant, or recessive?  Does it work that way?  I think this is important because if it's simple genetics like eye color, and the agelessness recessive like blue eyes, then perhaps the first hybrid generation would be heterogeneous and have short lifespans and the individuals born of the hybrids would have a 1 in 4 chance of being ageless.

Eh, that kinda matters I guess as to the naming, but what probably matters more is the physical appearance....mixing those groups would result in mixed-race individuals outcast by both groups, which would lead to less flattering names for them, unless their royal status makes them elites in which case they'd have more flattering names.

Um the short answer is I have no idea what to call them.  Elflings?  Hobves?  Half-elfs?  I think I would call them Sir or Madam because they could also be really really fast and I don't want to anger them, haha.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 04:13:41 PM »
A pointy eared short person?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 04:53:07 PM »
Are their ears hairy?

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »
Assuming biology similar to ours, it's a bigger issue as to what the results will actually be like than what to call it.

For example, since the hobbit (Bilbette?) is the source of the egg, and therefore contributes the cell structure and the cell DNA, if we assume the nuclear DNA is similar enough to produce offspring there are quite a few questions as to the traits of said offspring.  Will it inherit the agelessness of the elf?  I don't think that's a nuclear DNA feature...then again, maybe it is a nuclear DNA feature actually as it may have to do with the chromosome tails that we've discovered more recently, that shorten with each division and so perhaps those not shortening might be the source of the LotR version of immortality.  But is that feature dominant, or recessive?  Does it work that way?  I think this is important because if it's simple genetics like eye color, and the agelessness recessive like blue eyes, then perhaps the first hybrid generation would be heterogeneous and have short lifespans and the individuals born of the hybrids would have a 1 in 4 chance of being ageless.

Eh, that kinda matters I guess as to the naming, but what probably matters more is the physical appearance....mixing those groups would result in mixed-race individuals outcast by both groups, which would lead to less flattering names for them, unless their royal status makes them elites in which case they'd have more flattering names.

Um the short answer is I have no idea what to call them.  Elflings?  Hobves?  Half-elfs?  I think I would call them Sir or Madam because they could also be really really fast and I don't want to anger them, haha.
I suspect the child would inherit the immortality gene no matter what -- Elrond is half-elven and he is still immortal, as is his daughter. Because... magic?

Maybe it would be called an Ehobbitf? Um...

lostpony

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »
I'm not aware of Elrond being half-elf.

But, assuming the immortality is dominant no matter what is probably reasonable because you know, they're cooler.

How about Hobo-Elf, haha.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
I'd say a helf. If it was already mentioned sorry.  :lookround:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:14:06 AM by Majesty »

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 09:47:33 PM »
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 08:18:14 AM »

I suspect the child would inherit the immortality gene no matter what -- Elrond is half-elven and he is still immortal, as is his daughter. Because... magic?

Maybe it would be called an Ehobbitf? Um...

Actually he chose to be immortal, while his twinbrother Elros (Aragons ancestor) decided to be mortal.

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 05:57:22 PM »
helf?

I know its dwelf if you do dwarf and elf  but huh
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

lostpony

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 12:06:05 AM »
Aside from the name, if we answer simply the question posed by the subject line, what we get when we cross a hobbit and an elf I think are pointy ears and hairy feet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal