collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need Someone Who Is Tech Savvy, I Need To Download An Emulator, Preferably Free  (Read 749 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
I bought an old PC game but it won't run on my new laptop. It's King's Quest 7: The Princeless Bride.  I've played this game before a long time ago but it got stolen and recently I decided I wanted to play it again.  I think this was for Windows 95 or something like that.

I read that if it doesn't play (the game) you could download an emulator and it'll work.  I don't want any viruses and I want a guarantee it'll work and I don't want to pay for it.

If someone has any recommendations please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
DOSBox and Scummvm are both free emulators that should be able to play the game.  I'd recommend trying Scummvm first as it should be able to play the windows version (plus I generally prefer it anyway) while DOSBox requires using the DOS version of the game. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
DOSBox and Scummvm are both free emulators that should be able to play the game.  I'd recommend trying Scummvm first as it should be able to play the windows version (plus I generally prefer it anyway) while DOSBox requires using the DOS version of the game. 

I second Scummvm! I use it to play Humongous Entertainment games.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
I downloaded DOSBox before I saw this message but I'll try the other one.  I checked around and my game isn't listed as a DOS game.  But, I found someone on youtube who uses a CD for an older game and uses the codes to make it work and I tried it step by step for a little but but after a while it got too confusing.
This is frustrating, because I want to play it but I figured I'd just let my brother do it for me next time I see him which probably won't be for a while.

From what I've been told the codes trick your new laptop into thinking it's an older computer so your game will work.  I didn't realize it would be so complicated to play it.  I probably wouldn't have bothered.  The game was made by Sierra Online but it's an actual game not an online game.

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
The earliest releases of the game didn't include a DOS version.  There are some patches here that will allow you to upgrade the 1.4+ versions to the 2.00b version which can be played in DOSBox: http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/KingsQuestUpdates.html but if you have the earliest 1.1 release I'm not sure if any of those patches will be helpful (that's actually the version I have the disc for but I've since gotten the updated version online).  I don't think I've tried my 1.1 version in ScummVM but it's a pretty easy emulator to use - much better than trying to use codes yourself.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
The earliest releases of the game didn't include a DOS version.  There are some patches here that will allow you to upgrade the 1.4+ versions to the 2.00b version which can be played in DOSBox: http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/KingsQuestUpdates.html but if you have the earliest 1.1 release I'm not sure if any of those patches will be helpful (that's actually the version I have the disc for but I've since gotten the updated version online).  I don't think I've tried my 1.1 version in ScummVM but it's a pretty easy emulator to use - much better than trying to use codes yourself.

Thanks for your help I'll look into it later when I get out of work. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal